Clarifying the new G. Loomis Warranty

tridentfly

tridentfly

Loomis has always made a fantastic rod, but they’ve been lambasted in the internet for their warranty.

So, we’ve understandably gotten a lot of questions about this, and wanted to clarify it for our customers.

Please read http://bit.ly/1ncJ1HZ

About time they step up a little. They always charged as much money as other brands so they should have the same warranty. They still don't but it's a step up. I doubt I'll be buying any though. And the lack of warranty and the price is why I never have.
Thanks for the info.

Ratgunner,

You might want to double check your warranty information. Loomis does and always has had a warranty against defects. As long as I can remember they have had the expidite service also. Which IMHO is not a bad deal, no questions asked rod replaced for $100.00.

Good luck, Tony

I am well aware of that. But their warranty pales in comparison to most.
Examples are Orvis and TFO.... No questions AND no $100.

I've never understood this preoccupation with warrantys. Orvis sells rods, reels and tweed jackets. Loomis sells rods. We used to have wader discussions here that made it clear that people thought the waders from orvis were loaners. You used them five years and they gave you new ones when they leaked. My new Loomis rod gets broken, new rod no questions. Second break they repair/replace for a fee. Sounds fair to me.

You might want to double check your warranty information. Loomis does and always has had a warranty against defects. As long as I can remember they have had the expidite service also. Which IMHO is not a bad deal, no questions asked rod replaced for $100.00.

Actually, Orvis has a 25 year replacement warranty regardless of the cause, and the per incident fee is much lower than $100. If it's a defect then it's free. 25 years is a long time.

All of the major rod makers have a fee associated with their rod replacement (non defective) programs. The fees vary by manufacturer, rod ages, shipping options, upgrade options, ect. Some of the manufacturers even charge a handling fee for defective rods. To get a replacement rod from any of the major manufacturer's it will cost the consumer $50.00+ in shipping, handling, insurance, inspection, processing, ect. fees. And the consumer will wait 3+ weeks for the replacement. What the consumer gets for the $100.00 (Expidite) fee from Loomis is a new rod in their hands in three days. Personally; I cosider the fee very resonable, obviously others do not. Just like someone might complain about Orvis only giving a 25yr guarantee on their rods versus other manufacturers giving a lifetime guarantee.

Ultimately what I find funny is how anyone can complain about any of the fees or the amount of time it takes to get a replacement rod when their original rod was not defective! These manufacturers are offering to replace rods for people who fall on them, smash them in car doors, and any other owner inflicted breakages. I can smash a $500.00 rod, that I have used for 20+ years, in my car door and Loomis will give me a brand new one within three days for $100.00! And some people still think thats not good enough!

Good luck, Tony

Loomis warranty was really very expensive the last time I used it. Paying for shipping, insurance on said rod, their standard rod fee really was pretty salty for what was a rod defect. Also, you don't get a new rod they just replace the section. They still lag behind other companies especially since shimano owns them and you never get to talk to anybody their that even knows what a fly rod is. A company that big could do much better, if it was still owned by Loomis I wouldn't have complaints. But dealing with shimano is just plain horrible.

Back