Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6)

Re: Choosing a quality mid level reel

From York & Starlight, PA
Afishinado wrote;

"Also, i'm usually tied on with 0x tippet (+/-) and a 7 or 8wt rod when fishing for smallies. When fishing for trout, I'm tied on with 5x tippet (+/-) with a 5wt rod. Big difference!"

This is a very good point! When I'm fishing for smallouth it is rare to use anything less than a 9' WF#6 and most of the time a 9' WF#7 and throwing big Clousers or poppers with nothing lighter than 1X. so with that kind of gear it is pretty easy to stop even a big smallouth from going very far. But I still am of the opinion if I hook a 20" - 22" wild trout on a big nymph and #7 line he is going to run my fly line and likely get into the backing.

Posted on: 2012/7/7 9:11

From Pittsburgh
Quote:

The_Sasquatch wrote:
So here's a question. Why do the old Medalists and such hold up for so long? There are guys fishing with reels that are 50+ years old and cost them $25 new. I'm pretty ignorant on reels and the mechanics of it all, so please shed some light.

PS-Last week I was thinking about starting a "reel" thread in the gear section, just to get some insight into the different types of drag, etc.

At risk of dating myself, and sounding like and old fart - I really believe that many things were made better "back in the day"

I have a thing for the old english made batternkill reels - in fact, I've bought several off of site members here.
I really think that they were a good quality reel - that had a very modest price tag.
And FWIW - they're still all that I fish with.

Posted on: 2012/7/7 11:51

Quote:
At risk of dating myself, and sounding like and old fart - I really believe that many things were made better "back in the day"

everything but cars-

Posted on: 2012/7/7 12:29

From Media Pa
I thought the only good thing the British made were neckties.

Posted on: 2012/7/7 14:09

From Media Pa
Quote:

pete41 wrote:
everything but cars-

Triumphs and MGs used Lucas electronics a/k/a the Prince of Darkness

Posted on: 2012/7/7 14:11

For a thousand years British and Americans made motorcycles with vertically assembled engine housing.Earl everywhere in the castle,then some guy in Asia said"Why not horizontally ?"
Suddenly you could meet the nicest people on a Honda.
{probably get hollered at for OT}

Posted on: 2012/7/7 14:21

From SE Pa
Quote:
For a thousand years British and Americans made motorcycles with vertically assembled engine housing.Earl everywhere in the castle,then some guy in Asia said"Why not horizontally ?"
Suddenly you could meet the nicest people on a Honda.
{probably get hollered at for OT}

Actually the oil leaks had their logic & benefits as the bikes were rebuildable for years and years without any rust in the damp, wet & rainy UK weather.{probably also get hollered at for OT}

Posted on: 2012/7/7 15:39

From Cato, NY
People that don't see the need for a quality reel will have to experience an equipment failure before they realize their are some things in fly-fishing not to go cheap on.

A few months ago my dads orvis battenkill seized on an 18" rainbow on the BeaverKill. I told him before about my hatch and he dismissed it pretty quick. The next day after losing that fish to the failed drag he bought a hatch and now claims it was one of his best purchases after landing several quality fish.

I understand where people are coming from when they say they can't afford good equipment. I was there too a few years ago, but my wife taught me how to budget my money better and to save for my fly-fishing gear. It really isn't hard to put 10 bucks back a week for something and then when you get it, it will most likely last a lifetime or two. It took me 26 weeks to save for my hatch but it was worth it. good reels go on clearance all the time for sometimes half the price. Just be patient and save and when the deal presents itself, jump on it.

Posted on: 2012/7/9 9:02

I'm generally in the better gear camp for all the reasons stated - cheaper in the long run, less chance of failure, and better reels run smoother.

That said I also have a soft spot for old fiberglass rods and old blue collar reels. Maintain them and they will do OK, but the modern ones are better IMHO.

As for Medalists, they were the most popular reel in the USA for 50 years so they were doing something right and people caught a lot of huge fish with them. The number one flaw is that they are held together by screws that can loosen over time. I recommend putting Loctite on the screws of any Medalists. Some of the other parts, like the spring loaded detent on the spool can wear out over decades. However, there are plenty of Medalists out there chep so spare parts are rarely an issue.

Posted on: 2012/7/9 11:11

From Lehigh Valley
Quote:

JeffK wrote:
Some of the other parts, like the spring loaded detent on the spool can wear out over decades.

clean out the caked on grease and filth. you'd be surprised how much life comes back into an 73 year old reel.

Posted on: 2012/7/9 12:16

From Ephrata, PA
Jeff, that's kind of my thought on the Medalists as well. Frankly, I love them. I try to clean them and maintain them to the best of my ability, and I just love how they fish. Same with my Heddon reels.

Posted on: 2012/7/9 13:23

From York & Starlight, PA
mcwillja wrote;

"good reels go on clearance all the time for sometimes half the price. Just be patient and save and when the deal presents itself, jump on it."

Another place to find great deal is on Ebay. Often I see "lightly used" and "new" reels for great prices. Some are in auctions but others are "Buy now" listed.

I bid on a very lightly used (looks brand new) Abel Creek 2 LA. This reel lists for $320 and I got it for $175. Another reel was "Buy now" a Lamson Litespeed 2, it lists for $299 and I got it for $165 shipping included.

Posted on: 2012/7/9 22:32

From Cato, NY
Right on Wbranch. Those are some great buys right there

Posted on: 2012/7/10 7:35

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
95 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
3 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com