Choosing a quality mid level reel

wildtrout24

wildtrout24

A friend of mine recently asked my opinion on reels. His question being which brand and model reel would i recommend for a 5 weight rod for medium sized trout streams. In my opinion the top dollar reels really aren't worth the money and a mid level reel with a decent drag is all he needs.
I've always liked the Orvis Battenkill barstock reels. Anybody recommend something else?

Thanks...WT24

Sorry .....this should probably go in the gear forum.

I think reels are mostly chosen for appearance. As long as you like the drag, and they balance your rod well enough, it really comes down to what you prefer. I will concede that the quality can vary greatly, even within the same price ranges. If you like the BBS, I think it is a good choice, unless you want a larger arbor. In that case, you might consider something like the Lamson Guru. But again, much like rods, it's all about personal preference. My suggestions are only based on my experience and "bang for your buck."

Agree with zenherper. I don't get real picky about what reels to get, just whichever one you like, and as a matter of fact I have landed many carp(nice ones too) on one of those $30 cabela's reels. Three Forks I think. I've heard good things about the Orvis Battenkill reels though. Can't really go wrong with Ross either. I have a CLA and love it. It's a bit pricey though.

I would consider STH reels. Good quality at a decent price.

For the money I've really had good luck with the Orvis Battenkill reels. I'm currently using a mid arbor reel that used to be called the battenkill mid arbor but it was only out a year or two until they remaned it to thier Access line. I've landed trout over 20" with it and had the drag hold up fine.
I do think there are a bunch of reels out there at a price point under $150.00 that are solid performers.

I know its not a big name in fly fishing, but okuma has a couple solid products. I have a helios reel, but have handled and used the SLV before. The helios is bulletproof and a great reel. The SLV seemed more expensive than it is, and I liked the finish/aesthetics too. I feel like I see at least one every time I am in erie during steelhead season. I cant speak for the lower level Ross reels, but the evolution LT is a nice reel. I would assume the rest of their products are nice.

I agree, for regular trout, the reel isn't a major concern. I use an Orvis barstock for most of my rods and am happy enough with it. But frankly, if you don't plan on chasing steelhead or trophy hunting, you can get a good enough reel for a 3rd of the price.

Thanks for all the input....it reafirms most of my thoughts. I agree that most reels are just fine for normal trout fishing conditions. Now steelhead and some larger rivers with heavy trout, I'd feel more comfortable with a higher quality reel with a silky smooth drag.

I consider mid range price reels to be right around 100-150. In this category its hard to beat the lamson konic.

Allen reels are grest for the price and they stand behind their products. We have 3 of them and are very pleased!!!

I don't think I ever spent more than $50 on a reel. I have a BBS1 for my 2wt that Sal sold me. That's the most expensive reel I have...but I bought it for $50 ;-)

I'll second the Okumas. I have two Okuma Sierras and I like them both. I also have their large arbor SLV. I also like that reel a lot.

My favorite reel is my Medalist, but I think I love that reel because I love the rods I use it on ;-)

Yeah, I only ever spent that much on one reel. It's the barstock. In my defense, it's used on 4 different rods, I don't get a reel for each.

One thing to keep in mind, while quality isn't really important (unless your fighting big fish), weight can be. It has to balance the rod well.

I too have a medalist, like squatch. It's a terrible reel for my graphite sticks, but a great one for my boo, because it balances it better.

Yeah I only use the Medalist on my glass rods. I have three glass rods, I use the same reel on all three of them.

My cousin was asking me one time about more expensive reels. I think I shared the Allen Deal of the Week once on FB, and it was their Trout series reel on sale. He said, "seriously. What's the difference between that reel and a Medalist or a Martin? Aren't these reels designed more to catch fishermen more than they are designed to catch fish?"

There's some truth to that, though I'm not gonna lie, I like a nicely designed reel. The thing is, Pat, you're right. The Medalist is just too heavy for graphite. I pointed that out to him, and he agreed w/ the weight issue as well.

i have way more reels than rods.but i'm the kind of guy that likes click and pawl reels .even tuna cans.

i often use a reel based on the sound of the drag.

one of my favorite reels is an (eagle claw)granger medallion.i usually get them under thirty bucks.i have the whole line.

if you know me from other boards,i use a pic of two of those reels as my avatar.haven't figured out how to do that here,haha

Do some research on the reel first. Compare drag systems and how it's made (cast compared to machined). There's some good deals out there to be made. 99% of fish caught on your typical streams that you're using a 4-5wt rod on can be caught using just about any reel IMO. But for that 1% fish, I want something half decent.

I wouldn't pay more than $60 for a cast reel and $130 for a machined reel for the situation you're asking.

I think most people like to match the quality of reel with the quality of rod. No use in tossing a plastic reel on a $700 rod. It's mostly preference though.

Once you get into heavier fish and even salt then you want a great sealed drag system, spool capacity, etc.

I think most people like to match the quality of reel with the quality of rod. No use in tossing a plastic reel on a $700 rod.

:roll: lol (rod about 500, reel under 50)

That was just temporary though, since I didn't have line yet for the reel that I was gonna use for the rod, so I'll use that to my defense lol.

P6160188.jpg

I think most people like to match the quality of reel with the quality of rod. No use in tossing a plastic reel on a $700 rod.

That sounds ridiculous to me. Fishing isn't a fashion statement in my mind. I've got no problem mixing expensive gear with cheap gear.

I got streamerguy beat. I pair my $1000 rod with a $30 reel. And I pair my $90 rod with a $150 reel.

Back