Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 6 »

Re: Choosing a quality mid level reel

From philadelphia
i have way more reels than rods.but i'm the kind of guy that likes click and pawl reels .even tuna cans.

i often use a reel based on the sound of the drag.

one of my favorite reels is an (eagle claw)granger medallion.i usually get them under thirty bucks.i have the whole line.

if you know me from other boards,i use a pic of two of those reels as my avatar.haven't figured out how to do that here,haha

Posted on: 2012/7/3 13:04

From Patterson twp, Pa (Beaver Falls)
Do some research on the reel first. Compare drag systems and how it's made (cast compared to machined). There's some good deals out there to be made. 99% of fish caught on your typical streams that you're using a 4-5wt rod on can be caught using just about any reel IMO. But for that 1% fish, I want something half decent.

I wouldn't pay more than $60 for a cast reel and $130 for a machined reel for the situation you're asking.

I think most people like to match the quality of reel with the quality of rod. No use in tossing a plastic reel on a $700 rod. It's mostly preference though.

Once you get into heavier fish and even salt then you want a great sealed drag system, spool capacity, etc.

Posted on: 2012/7/3 13:18

From Ephrata, PA
Quote:

shakey wrote:

I like the way you think!

Posted on: 2012/7/3 13:37

From Ohio

Quote:
I think most people like to match the quality of reel with the quality of rod. No use in tossing a plastic reel on a $700 rod.

lol (rod about 500, reel under 50)

That was just temporary though, since I didn't have line yet for the reel that I was gonna use for the rod, so I'll use that to my defense lol.

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 2012/7/3 13:43

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Quote:
I think most people like to match the quality of reel with the quality of rod. No use in tossing a plastic reel on a $700 rod.

That sounds ridiculous to me. Fishing isn't a fashion statement in my mind. I've got no problem mixing expensive gear with cheap gear.

I got streamerguy beat. I pair my $1000 rod with a $30 reel. And I pair my $90 rod with a $150 reel.

Posted on: 2012/7/3 15:45

From Ephrata, PA
Everyone who uses a Medalist on glass or bamboo is probably committing fly fishing fashion show heresy!

Posted on: 2012/7/3 15:57

From Jonestown, PA
Martin 61, 10 bucks on ebay. Do it.

Of course people are stuck on the cosmetics of a fly reel. Spending more than 200 bucks on a reel for trout is silly.

With that being said, the BBS isn't a bad choice.
There's a lot of choices out there.

I'm such a sucker for loud obnoxious clickers!

Posted on: 2012/7/3 20:39

From Maytown, PA
Quote:

shakey wrote:
i have way more reels than rods.but i'm the kind of guy that likes click and pawl reels .even tuna cans.

one of my favorite reels is an (eagle claw)granger medallion.i usually get them under thirty bucks.i have the whole line.

#1 shakey

Click pawl, Eagle Claw EC series and Heddon 300 series, Very nice reels for mid level prices.

Posted on: 2012/7/3 22:27

Quote:

pcray1231 wrote:
Quote:

That sounds ridiculous to me. Fishing isn't a fashion statement in my mind. I've got no problem mixing expensive gear with cheap gear.

I got streamerguy beat. I pair my $1000 rod with a $30 reel. And I pair my $90 rod with a $150 reel.

I'm not saying it's a fashion statement. More saying that if people can afford a $700 rod, then they're most likely going to pair it with a nice reel and visa versa. I don't think it's THE rule, but I still stand by my statement that most people try to do so.

Posted on: 2012/7/3 22:59

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Your probably right. I'm quite the opposite. If I just bought an expensive rod, I say jeez, I can't add an expensive reel on top of this. Not now.

Posted on: 2012/7/4 10:40

From Cato, NY
Quote:

NCPAtrtbum wrote:
Martin 61, 10 bucks on ebay. Do it.

Of course people are stuck on the cosmetics of a fly reel. Spending more than 200 bucks on a reel for trout is silly.

With that being said, the BBS isn't a bad choice.
There's a lot of choices out there.

I'm such a sucker for loud obnoxious clickers!

I spent $250.00 for a closeout Hatch Reel to use on the delaware for trout and it's the best piece of gear I own. Not all reels are suited for all situations. When you drive a long distance to a premiere trout stream and you hook a trout of a lifetime why not have a suitable reel/drag for the situation. Plus my Hatch will last a lifetime if I take care of it. All this talk of only needing a cheap reel is ridiculous IMO. For small stream fishing that is mostly true but I enjoy fishing for larger wild fish and to me it's stupid to fish with a subpar drag.

Posted on: 2012/7/5 8:54

Quote:

pcray1231 wrote:
Your probably right. I'm quite the opposite. If I just bought an expensive rod, I say jeez, I can't add an expensive reel on top of this. Not now.

That's the key. None of us can buy EVERYTHING we want all at one time, but eventually we'll pair up a combo to our pleasing.

Posted on: 2012/7/5 9:40

From Dauphin PA
For 90% of PA trout fishing, a $6 click reel will work. With that said, you spend $590 on a rod and then toss on a $10 reel on it.....that's sad. I'd plan on an outfit (rod, reel, line). Like Jason said, I'm not risking the fish of a lifetime because I was too cheap to put up a few extra bucks on good gear.

Posted on: 2012/7/5 10:50

From Jonestown, PA
It's not hard too palm a trout running the reel. I've caught plenty a big fish on cheapo reels. Pretty fun actually because it takes skill.

Posted on: 2012/7/5 13:23

From Cato, NY
I've hooked fish that would have been near impossible to palm. If you're an expert palmer than congratulations but at some point you may lose a fish of a lifetime because you didn't have a good reel. If you are palming 20+ inch delaware browns and bows then you are truely a special angler.

Posted on: 2012/7/5 14:58

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 6 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com