Chest wader options

171farm

171farm

Im looking at getting a pair of breathable waders (on a budget) and would like some options of what you all have/like thats out there.

Thanks

I bought a pair of White River last year for $100. They are just ok. I too was on a budget n

Paid about $100 for Frogg Toggs Anuras. They leaked after the 6th time wearing them. Sent them back to the company and they replaced them with a new pair of Anura II (I just hope the "II" doesn't mean they'll leak twice as fast.) They seem well made from the outside and fit very nicely, hopefully the first pair was just a fluke and this pair will perform well.

Thats kind of my fear, I need to remain close to a budget (100) but if there is something I can spend a little more on that is going to last Ill do it.

Also, odds are due to my area Im not going to be able to try these on prior to buying with the lack of options close to home. Do you guys typically buy a size bigger than the sizes the company post? I am kind of on the fence of sizes, I hate to go to small but really dont want to look like a marshmello either. I know thats a loaded question but wonder what you guys are doing with size

If you are between sizes, go for the bigger size. You don't want to walk around looking like you are wearing yoga pants. LOL. In addition, if they are snug, it puts extra stress on the seams which will cause leaks quicker.

Quick question.... do you have wading boots? If not, that's another purchase that you'll want to factor in. So are you looking for stocking foot or boot foot? I already have some ideas for you.

I bought a pair of Orvis's cheaper waders last year and I am really pleased with them. I think they were $159 and they are holding up very well.

I watch the web site steep and cheep very closely and picked up a pair of Redington (same as Orvis) zip fly chest waders for $199.99, or half price.

krayfish wrote:
If you are between sizes, go for the bigger size. You don't want to walk around looking like you are wearing yoga pants. LOL. In addition, if they are snug, it puts extra stress on the seams which will cause leaks quicker.

Quick question.... do you have wading boots? If not, that's another purchase that you'll want to factor in. So are you looking for stocking foot or boot foot? I already have some ideas for you.

I do not have hip boots right now either. I know felt is a preference type of thing. What do you prefer and what are you thinking kray

I found stocking foot waders that are nice for $110-$130. You'd still have to get boots for over them though. Sole type on the boot would be determined by where & how you fish. Smaller streams, long likes and cobble stream bottoms....robber soled boots with spikes might be the ticket. Not a lot of hiking or streams with bedrock or large boulders....felts with spikes should be better.

I know you said the target price was $100 but would consider spending a bit more if you'd get a better product. I was hoping you already had boots in hand so that the budget was for 'just waders'.

You can get breathables with a boot attached. I won't recommend them but it's another option. Walking any distance in "bootfoot waders" sucks.

Which are you interested in and provide your size? (large-long, medium-king, etc.). I'll see what I can find.

Are you the new G damned Jdaddy, Kray?

Which one of us are you trying to insult? :-D

I find it hard to invest in top of the line gear, at least at first, and have had a good year+ with these low cost breathable waders form caddis

http://www.amazon.com/Caddis-Attractive-2-Tone-Breathable-Stocking/dp/B000LZRJ6W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1390354213&sr=8-1&keywords=caddis+breathable+waders

i liked the availability of tall sizes.

because they are not too $$ i don't worry about snagging the occasional rose thorn, etc.

i had a leak develop about knee-high where the inside of the legs were rubbing on each other during walking, but nothing too hard to repair.

Mike,

I looked at possibility of getting those for a back up pair since my Simms are 6 years old. I read too many bad reviews and repeated reviews on the neoprene booties being all jacked up. FWIW, I found Simms at the same price as those caddis waders. I ended up saving a few bucks and grabbed a pair of g3 stocking foots on sale. The real chore now is to not get too fat to wear them and for my current ones to wear out.

I have a 46" chest, 31" inseam, and wear a 11.5 or 12 shoe. I have seen a lot of Cabela's waders right in that 100-120 range but see a lot great reviews also paired with many with leaking issues. Same with Frog Togg. Looked at Redington crosswater but am concerned on the foot size.

Thus Im open to whatever advice you all have

Sounds like you need a large king. Might be a little long in the inseam but that's better than too short. Simms has 2 foot sizes in their booties. I understand that the caddis waders have larger neoprene boots in comparison to lost companies. I'll pm if I find something.

So far I've gone through several iterations of Hodgeman, Orvis, and now LL Bean.

What I've found is that the $/hr of fishing is the same nomatter what you do. For me, all of the above were plenty comfortable, no complaints on any of them. But in the fishing I do, a $100 pair of waders lasts me 1 year. A $200 pair lasts me 2 years. A $250 pair lasts 2 1/2 years.

You can look at that 2 ways. Some would say you get what you pay for. And from my experiences, that isn't wrong, but it doesn't make expensive stuff the better value. I haven't yet found a way to beat the value curve.

I may end up springing for some expensive SIMMS or something. They get great reviews. But at $400, they'd BETTER last 4 years for me or else they're no better than the rest.

As far as longevity. Remember, that's for ME, YMMV. It depends on how many hours we fish, what kind of fishing we do (rock scrambling, fishing from knees, etc. vs. standing in place on a smooth streambed), etc.

G3 have 5 layers in lower leg. 7th year and going strong. I'll never buy junk again.

Lots of them have 5 layers....

I don't doubt that SIMMS waders are good. But they should be, they cost a lot. The question is whether they're better than their price point.

I am hard on waders. It's climbing groin high rocks that does it, I think. I usually put my knee on it and climb up that way. If it's low enough to step up, you still stretch the legging material with each high step like that. Such things can be repeated 100's of times per outing.

I'll be surprised if ANY breathable material goes much better than 4 years on me. But willing to give them a shot.

I have a cigar burn in the crotch of them that went through at least 2 layers...no leaks. I also beach my boat and crawl down the bank to stalk fish. I can't believe the beating these waders have taken.

boat? lol!!!! Yeah, spending 80% time in a boat, and those few short jaunts down the bank of a large stream. Yeah, that's real rough on waders. lol!!!!!

That's like saying I have a pair of house pants I use to sit on my couch. Occasionally I drop food on them. But they've held up like a champ!!!!

Back