Chest Packs

MCWolfe6

MCWolfe6

Anyone have any suggestions on an inexpensive chest pack. I am looking to lighten my load while fishing by switching from a standard fishing vest to a chest pack and minimizing what I carry. Any thoughts?

Depends what you consider inexpensive...but here are 2 options

Fits a really inexpensive one from Bucks Bagsnice and simple.

The second one is more like I use that also converts to a fanny pack.
Its a Clear Creek delux chest pack...its twice as much but does twice as much...

Unfortunately, I have never seen another one like the one I have.
I only paid 15 bucks or so on ebay but I like it.

I use this one:

http://tinyurl.com/2cn3jn [cabelas.com]

I have no real complaints. When I bought it I knew what I was getting into... I wanted a smaller pack that would be lightweight and easy to wear. I saw it as a bonus that I would have to reduce my gear because I had entirely too much. It has two internal pockets, two on the outside, and a zipper pocket in the back... Holds two small fly boxes and I can occasionally get a bigger one in the back pocket but it's uncomfortable and a hassle.

All in all, I'm probably going get a bigger one for exploring uncharted waters and keep this one for more known places where I can get by with a box or two of specific flies.

I got one for my birthday from my wife a few weeks ago. It has a velcro patch on the front with replacable foam inserts that i can swap out different flies. It was from Gander Mountain but I've seen similar at other stores. It has a few larger pockets in the back that are nice to carry water and lunch, plus my reserve flies that dont fit on the foam pads. The only thing I am missing is a place to put my landing net. I only use it occasionally but its hard to put anywhere except sticking out of the large pocket in the back. Besides that I like it. Very comfortable and fits everything i need.

What is inexpensive? I would go with the filson Chest Pack. http://www.cabelas.com/information/FlyFishing/OnStream--FannyChestPacks.html

Joe E

JayL that one from Cabella's was the one I was considering purchasing for outings where I want to go light.

Thanks for all of the input fellas.

i have that Cabela's one (the first one on that page) and i like it but sometimes i pack too much in the backpack part and it can pay a toll on your back. Overall though it meets my needs but it is still cool

Go even lighter if you really looking to lighten the load. I made the switch last year to the jw outfitter bonefish. I went from the traditional vest, which was completely loaded. Every pocket had something in it. Most thing were never used. Then I got the William Joseph coastal pack. It's the one that looks like you have a nice set of mammary glands. But it does have a nice back pack part to it. I found the breast pouches got in the way often. I then got the JW outfitters hip/chest pack, trout plus pack I think, and used it mainly as a chest pack. It was nice and I would recommend it if your stuck on the chest pack. It was pretty comfortable even overloaded. A friend of mine turned me onto the bonefish which I love. I usually carry a small box in my shirt pocket or pants pocket but every thing else fits into this pack. There is a CF Design fly box that fits perfectly into this. It's the bigger box with several options on the # of compartments and rows of foam.

Try this link to look at both jw outfitter pack.
http://www.traflyfish.com/equipmnt/jwout/jwoutfit.htm

ryguyfi,

I have that same Gander Mountain chest pack. I've ended up attaching my net to that large back loop and putting it in the back pack when not in use. It kind of nullifies the back pack though.

Back