Chest pack issues

DaveStn

DaveStn

I just recently started trout fly fishing again, last time was in 1998 (another topic). I started fishing for trout on a stream section on my family's property when I was ~8 yrs old. I fish differently then most that I read about on forums. I seek the same results though.

I have a question for all, and to fly fishing manufacturers more so. What is up with the foam/wool pads on the vest/ chest paks? Seems to be for nothing more then for me to lose flies, so I buy new ones. Most streams I fish, I walk along the edge, to find a suitable spot to hit. If I see another angeler, I go into the brush to give peace to the angeler. I walk along deer paths and prickers. There have been trips that I have lost $20 worth of wet, as in wet, dripping flies, hanging on a patch, that is on a vest or chest pack. I would like to see an option for a container that I can just put flies into that I have used during the trip. I currently use a old pill bottle that has 1/32" holes drilled into it. Something like this would be so much better to add then a patch, some sort of enclosed container to keep wet flies (as in dripping) contained. A little plastic box kinda thing. I try a fly for a bit, then move on to another, when one works, I stick with it. I do not need a patch. It seems to me to be a wasted option.

Second issue I have with these items is tippet dipensers. When I go fishing, I have searched out and understand what each area I plan to go fishing at has to offer. I carry two sizes of tippet. If I did not understand where I was fishing, I would hire a guide to assist me. If I do not and want to carry 6 roles of tippet, I Should Hire someone to help me out (fly shop or guide). Make room for other options or less size. I think I would rather just see larger pockets to allow for for me to choose what to put in them.

I can understand maufacteruers(and local manufacturers) needing to fit their gear into something, but think about the guy trugging through the deer paths first. ( I would guess guys going through deer paths are probably not the money spenders though :]). The chest pack I have is a small one but it still seems to have wasted/worthless space on it. Tight lines all and thank you for reading my rant.

After losing many flies on those patches when I first start fly fishing, I quickly learned that they're not a very good place to put them. And I rarely use them anymore.
If you do put a fly there on the stream, I would get them back in their boxes as soon as you got off of the water.

William Joseph Confluence with magnetic enclosures. When I am done with a fly I drop it on the magnets and they stay there till I use them again or stick them back in my box.

Magnets, how do they work?

SBecker wrote:

Paging PCray, Paging PCray! :)

Voodoo

i don't like chest packs cos i can't see my feet when i'm moving and it freaks me out.

Haha

When using barbed hooks I don't think I've ever lost a fly off a a patch of sheep wool. Very few off of the foam patches. I have a piece of wool fleece in my chest pack and keep the flies of the day tagged on there through out the day then just open it up when I get home or back to camp and let um air dry. Far as tippet goes, yeah I know those spools weigh a ton and take up sooo much room. I usually only carry 2 sizes anyway. I have bigger problems losing flies to branches to worry about losing them off my hat band of wool patch. Like I said, if your using barbed hooks... I got trouble pull'n out of the patch to begin with.

But then again there was that time I lost a hunting license crawling through briars and it pulled a 5 inch safety pin open that I'm sure I could use as a link in a tow chain....

They make (and I use) drying boxes. They are about 3" by 3" by .75". They clip to your vest/pack. It has a lid and a rubber waved bottom for sticking the flies. Even size 22 don't get lost. Alternatively, like others have said, put them back in the box. When you get home, open the box and allow them to dry.

I believe what Gene speaks of are called fly traps, I have two of them have used them for years and have never lost a fly

I have tried many packs and settled on a sling pack, it lets you carry many boxes and its out of the way. If you debarb your hooks they will slide out of any medium and you will loose flys.On your wet fly issues, most good boxes are ventilated and dry flys nicely. If there in a fly box that's in your pack it's hard to lose them.

Dear Dave,

I bought one of these for about $ 10.00 and haven't lost a fly from it in over a decade. Even when I have a dry and dropper rig stuffed in there and the tippet is hanging out of the box and gets caught on a branch the tippet breaks before the box opens.

http://www.streamworks.com/store-detail.php?id=47&ct=19

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

geebee wrote: i don't like chest packs cos i can't see my feet when i'm moving and it freaks me out.

Thats why I bought a sling pack haha.

i put my used flies in a small zip loc freezer bag down the front of my waders - this allows them to dry without putting moisture in my boxes and also helps me to remember what flies i actually used that day.

i then just dunk em under the tap to clean, and leave them on a paper towel to dry.

if the tying thread, hook eye and point are intact, then once they are dry they go back in the boxes.

i started doing it with saltwater flies first cos you really don't want salt in your wallet/boxes but now i do it for bass, trout and salmon too.

SBecker wrote:

Paging PCray, Paging PCray!

Unbalanced electron spins. :)

^^There, I splained it in 3 words.

Anyway, towards the OT. I've settled on a Richardson chest BOX. There's a similar product made by Downstream.

I don't bother with outside drying patches, I just put used flies back in the box they came from, which is easy with these things as you don't have to fumble around for the fly box. They aren't air-tight so they'll dry just fine in there. If you wanted, they have little rings designed to hold the floatant of your choice in a handy location. You could probably resize that for a pill bottle or container of your choice.

You can also get pouches to attach to the straps for whatever tippet, shot, etc. you want to carry. Or skip the pouches and put that stuff in your pocket.

They are expensive compared to a chest pack. But you only ever have to buy one.

are you not worried that if you catch a vine or creeper with your foot and fall flat on your front, that that hard box could puncture a lung or something ?

i take at least three swallow dives on the riverbank each year, so that would concern me.

geebee wrote:
are you not worried that if you catch a vine or creeper with your foot and fall flat on your front, that that hard box could puncture a lung or something ?

i take at least three swallow dives on the riverbank each year, so that would concern me.

You strike me as someone that is a tad clumsy. :)

Only when I can't see my feet...

geebee wrote:

You are joking right? " puncture a lung or something ? "

I just can't see any of my fly boxes put'n a hole in my lung, less I was parachuting into my fishing zone and landed wrong. You do seem to fall a lot. Do you carry a flask?

Back