Carrying you net

T

tracker12

I have yet find a way to carry my net that I am comfortable with. Right no I use a magnet on the back of my rest/pack or jacket and then run an elastic cord somewhere on my body. I hate the cord but do not want to loose my expensive net. Suggestions.

Get a cheaper net?
Seriously, though, it will hang up on brush unless it's behind you.
You could get one of the folding nets. It may be smaller and less obtrusive, but you still need it attached when wading. It would be a shame to lose a good fish in the net because the net slipped out of your hand.

Well Unfortunately I was given a nice Ghost Brodin by my kids as a gift. I like it a lot and want it on the water. I guess the thing I can't figure out best is where to attach the lanyard. It feels best on the right side but I land the fish using the left hand.

Try to get bit to the magnet to middle of your back, between the shoulder blades

Orvis sells a net minder which consists of an earth magnet strength detachable set attached to each other with a elastic coil. I attach one end to the D ring on my vest and I then have a french clip to attach my net to the other end of the net minder. I use it on my back and like it a lot. When I'm landing the fish I grab the net which releases the two halves of the magnet but is still connected to the net minder. Once I net the fish to take picture, I release the net from the minder using the french clip. When done, I reclip the french clip and then put the net behind me until the two magnets mate with each other. Just watch your finger because if your skin pinches between the two halves, it hurts like hell!

See below only mine has a french clip.

Attachments

• 318T.jpg
    318T.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 2
When I'm fishing for trout, I just keep a small net on my wading belt with a carabiner. It won't come off and it's convenient to get to. I fish alone quite a bit. I have found retractors and all of the other devices just fail eventually.

KeithS wrote:
Try to get bit to the magnet to middle of your back, between the shoulder blades

Keith, just get them close and the magnets take over from there. I have NEVER had an issue mating the two other than getting my skin pinched. OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Locally fishing I don't bring a net. It's just to much a bother. I do however get my hand wet before I handle the fish.

PennypackFlyer wrote:
Locally fishing I don't bring a net. It's just to much a bother. I do however get my hand wet before I handle the fish.

I carry a net with me almost every time out but maybe only use it 40% of the time. But I took the man's question to be about safely carrying the nice gift he received, not whether he should carry a net.

Foxgap thanks for the Orvis tip. I'm just not in the habit of carrying a net. I bought one, lost it, bought one, lost it, finally bought one that I've had for about 2 years now, but most times it lays in the back of the Volvo. I just keep forgetting to strap it on! Taking pictures of fish is much easier w/ a net, I think. Gotta change my habits. Especially when I'm fishing streams that hold larger trout.

The Butt crack works good if your using waist high waders with a belt. Just make sure the net handle is splinter free. Why else would God give us this area?

The_Sasquatch wrote:
Foxgap thanks for the Orvis tip. I'm just not in the habit of carrying a net. I bought one, lost it, bought one, lost it, finally bought one that I've had for about 2 years now, but most times it lays in the back of the Volvo. I just keep forgetting to strap it on! Taking pictures of fish is much easier w/ a net, I think. Gotta change my habits. Especially when I'm fishing streams that hold larger trout.

Andy, I have 2 nets, 1 for larger streams and 1 for brookie streams. The brookie stream net is more trouble than it is worth on small streams but I still like to have it in case I hook a monster (as I have once in the past) and won't miss getting a picture because I had no net to land him. :roll:

Buttcrack won't work for me as I never wear waist highs but your suggestion has merit, especially for those Philly plumber types. :-D

"Keith, just get them close and the magnets take over from there. I have NEVER had an issue mating the two other than getting my skin pinched. OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

I haven't had a problem either.I do the same as you, Fox.

When we fishing?

^^Ditto^^ Don't even know it's there.

I use a carabiner also from the net leash to my chest pack, then throw the net over my shoulder opposite my rod hand side. Also have the wading staff with a carabiner clipped to the downstream side so the current keeps it out of my fly casting area.

Here's another guy who wears the net high on his back.

One change I adopted is to reverse the hook so that the hoop is at the upper end when hanging and the handle is at the lower end. This helps stabilize the net on your back and will limit (but not completely prevent) the net from swinging around over your shoulders if you bend down.

Fishidiot wrote:
Here's another guy who wears the net high on his back.

One change I adopted is to reverse the hook so that the hoop is at the upper end when hanging and the handle is at the lower end. This helps stabilize the net on your back and will limit (but not completely prevent) the net from swinging around over your shoulders if you bend down.

This is how I do it too. I don't have a magnet just a brass clip that's probably about due for replacement. Every once in awhile the net swings around but most of the time it's out of sight, out of mind until I need it. It's easy to reach back and grab the net handle this way.

I'm with Fishidiot. I installed my magnet on the "net" end. The handle is an easy grab. But, I find myself leaving it in the car more and more.

I use a net zinger or whatever they call it, and on brushy streams I stick it in the zipper pouch of my vest until I need it.

Never used one but I remember seeing this as another choice............

http://www.smithcreek.co/net-holster.php

Back