Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: Canoe. Kayak. Pontoon. Speak up!

From York County
I have an Old Town Guide 14.7 and really like it. I find canoes are great fishing platforms...

Posted on: 2010/3/16 8:19

From SE PA - Montgomery County
For what it is worth, I have a 12' Old Town Dirigo sit-in kayak and I love it. Works for me in lakes, on the Delaware and Lehigh Rivers and in the salt down in Barngat Bay.

However, I rented a different one out this past weekend in Florida. It was a 14' Wilderness Systems Tarpon sit on top kayak. It made we want to buy one. Very nice, stable and an extemely shallow draft that will allow you to cruise through 6" of water and sneak up on Redfish in the flats. No so important around here, but I loved that one as well. Retail is somewhere around $900. I would not suggest one of these for rivers. The sit in is much better.

Lastly, I would recommend to learn how to swim before taking a kayak on any body of water. At least be sure to wear a life jacket at all times.

Posted on: 2010/3/16 12:36

From Carlisle
I personally prefer kayaks and use mine a ton on area rivers, streams, and lakes. If you're leaning towards a kayak the biggest thing that you need to do, is try one out before you buy it. I know too many people that have bought a kayak based on anothers suggestions and ended up not liking it. Not all kayaks will work for everyone. I would suggest finding a local retailer that has "demo days", where you can try out all of the kayaks that they have. This way you can find what works and feels the best for you.

Posted on: 2010/3/16 12:54

I've fished from both and own a Scanoe, but have been eye-balling kayaks for several years.
The kayaks I used to fish were a friend's and we fished with them on the Juniata.
For me, I found the kayak to be a limited, but excellent craft for this more specialized fishing, i.e., moving quickly and quietly through shallow water and minimized waking and spooking fish, one rod, very limited tackle and alternating with wet wading.
Anchoring the kayak was essentially grounding it lightly along the edge, or nosing it up on the backside of grass islands to approach water on the upside.

The Scanoe, as mentioned above is a car-topper with some heft, and while I have a 3.3 Mercury for it, other than the rivers and a few large impoundments (Blue Marsh for example) there are few places remaining where gas engines can be used in PA. However, electric motors do well, even on the smaller rivers.
I can carry several rigged rods, cooler (use cooler surface for work/equipment surface when necessary) and with a couple of pulleys and carabiner-like pieces easily purchased from a farm supply or hardware store, I have a quick and dependable front anchor I can release from the rear, and a rear anchor to hold position.

It doesn't do well on large lakes with large waves, but for most of PA water bodies, it is more than sufficient, quick to take down and put up (have a system). But I wouldn't use it for only a couple of hours. If for quick in and out, one rod, and not covering much water or distance I'd fish with the kayak.

I praise kayaks however. Kayaks may help establish navigable waters in the future!

Posted on: 2010/3/16 13:11

From mercer pa
I have a 12ft native manta ray (sot), very stable. I fish mainly rivers for smallies. The sit on top is the way to go if you like to wade fish. Easy to get out of. But, a solo canoe is another option. I plan on doing some salt water soon.

Posted on: 2010/3/18 20:16

I own a sit on top, a sit in and a canoe and have found that for fly casting the elevated position a canoe puts you in to be the best. I use the canoe the most out of all three craft from lakes, ponds and flat moving water to calm back bay salt. You also have the freedom to move you legs more than in a kayak which is nice for longer days. On a serious note, you might feel silly doing it, but try and learn to swim. If you re going to be out in small paddle craft you owe it to your family and to those charged with your safety (fish and boat comm. Coast Guard, etc). A nearby YMCA will have an adult class. Please go.

Posted on: 2010/3/19 21:13

From Lehigh Valley
If a guy with a name like that votes canoe over kayak, that's gotta mean something.

For the guys encouraging swimming, I'm not disagreeing. I'm not saying I won't, but I am saying that no matter, I'll never be a strong swimmer, and so my insistence on stability is important.

Posted on: 2010/3/20 22:47

From Lehigh Valley
Stability and you are seldom mentioned in the same sentence.

Posted on: 2010/3/21 0:49

From Lehigh Valley
Please, I prefer to be described as "eccentric." Makes me sound endearing and not creepy.

Posted on: 2010/3/21 1:04

I've got an Outcast 9' pontoon last year and had a blast. Upgraded to a Skykomish ST this year and I'm dying to use it. The weight capacity is nearly 3x that of the Outcast and it has the standing platform.

My fishing partner has a WaterSkeeter 9' and after checking out my Scadden, he's ordered one. Very sweet but a little expensive.

Posted on: 2010/4/1 12:55

From Souderton, Pa
i would say a pontoon, i had an orvis boat made by water skeeter and recently got the fish cat streamer xl ir.

Posted on: 2010/4/2 8:54

From Eastern PA
Hi gfen,

Meet you briefly at the mini-jam. I understand your considerations on the pontoon being in the 230# range myself. I just ordered a Skyomish Sunrise ST from Scadden yesterday. As someone else noted the Scadden website is a bit messy, as I had never even seen the link posted above to the online store. The website is not reflecting the fact that the current Skykomish ST from Scaddens' site has lazer lock frame (no idea what the means) versus the older system sold at Cabelas. Two of us ordered yesterday directly from Dave. I will PM you details. When mine gets here next week I would be more than willing to meet up and let you try it out.

J

Posted on: 2010/4/9 12:27

Lazer Lok frame? That sounds like some crap Andy would tell you. Be careful jdaddy. That guy is bad news.

Posted on: 2010/4/9 12:43

From Eastern PA
BTW, was in Hamburg Bargin Cave yesterday and they had a Scadden Skyomish for $769! That is a great deal. It appeared to be in brand new condition with all accessories and not a scuff on it. Let the race begin. And yes, the Scadden Skyomish ST I bought last week for $999 should be arriving today or tomorrow! #@#*@!

Posted on: 2010/4/15 12:26

I've had canoes, pontoon craft, small john boats over the years but once I got into the SOT kayaks several years ago, I have yet to look back. My wife and I fish off ours quite often and have had them in all types of fresh and salt water. For river fishing, I like the fact that I can paddle up current with little effort and using a drift chute, it's possible to hit all the productive water thoroughly. Lakes and ponds? A kayak is very stealthy if you are mindful of what you are doing, don't bang around your equipment and use the paddle to just sneak along. I have found that storage is not so much and issue if you pre-plan and pre-rig your fishing gear before launching. A crate set-up allows you to carry more tackle than you problably need as well as other essentials you need on the water. It may not be for everyone, but I find it to be a very good fishing platform with the benefit of comfort. You can launch a kayak just about anywhere and it has no more transport issues than any other similar craft. If you can, paddle as many types and styles as possible to get a feel for what will suit you the most. Wind is less of a problem in a kayak than in a canoe and that alone is a major plus IMO.

Jeff

Posted on: 2010/4/21 9:16

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
100 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
3 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com