Canoe. Kayak. Pontoon. Speak up!

gfen

gfen

I have a burning desire to purchase some form of watercraft, but I'm limited to what I can store in a garage and get to the water either on or in my vehicle.

Which means no real boats.

So, whatcha got and what kinds of places do you use it? If you're in the Eastern side of the state, and don't mind, what specific places do you use them? I'm mostly looking at fishing kayaks now because they're supposedly more stable than canoes, and not as subject to being blown around a lake (nor look as ridiculous as a 'toon).

My biggest concerns are capacity (I'm big) and stability (I can't swim at all, and yes, I'm aware that its maybe somewhat stupid to consider a boat).

So, weigh in. If anyone's interested, I can talk about what's on my mind, but I'd like to see what others are using first.

I have a float tube and a sit on top kayak. If you have no intention of using it on moving water I would highly recommend a float tube. Doesn't pack any smaller for transport or get any lighter to carry into (should you need to) a lake or pond. You can get them big. I have Bucks Bag "giant". Also have a regular sized one but I like the extra room. The kayak is nice but its a pain to transport without a roof rack. It covers water a lot faster but I am actually more comfortable, more secure and feel safer in the tube. You'll need a PFD anyway for either one. Just my 2 cents.

Kayak here. Use it on rivers, it is not the best. Anchoring a Kayak in moving water is not the safest. I wear a PFD. It is comfy, fun, but for moving waters, a pontoon craft is the correct vehicle. Lakes, ponds, canoes and kayaks are great. Tell us more about what you want to do. I have a native ultimate, 14. Good for 2 people, so a large framed person should not be a problem.

I’ve got the Fish Cat 9’ by Outcast sporting gear. This pontoon is used mostly on a 256 acre lake but has been floated down the Clarion River and similar rivers in WV. The boat is stable in the wake of passing 10hp boats. It does blow around in the wind but rowing is manageable even in 15mph winds. The major advantage is hands free boat control. This allows more time fishing and less time playing with the oars.

Three things can be helpful for fishing in the wind: kick fins, anchor, and drift sock. The drift sock and fins are my solution to the wind. The drift sock with a dump cord is easier to pull in than the anchor. I got a 26” drift sock and would recommend for a canoe or kayak also.

These are my opinions of the pros and cons of the Fish Cat 9’.
Pros: 1) Can be transported in any vehicle, I load mine on the roof of my Jeep Cherokee fully assembled. 2) The fins provide hands free boat control. 3) Easy to get in and out of. 4) Doesn’t take up much storage space at home. 5) Plenty of storage on the boat. 6) Easy to row.
Cons: 1) Takes 1/2 hour to assemble. 2) Need to carry pump and patching supplies for the bladder in case of a puncture.

If you have no intention of using it on moving water I would highly recommend a float tube. Doesn't pack any smaller for transport or get any lighter to carry into (should you need to) a lake or pond. You can get them big. I have Bucks Bag "giant". Also have a regular sized one but I like the extra room. The kayak is nice but its a pain to transport without a roof rack. It covers water a lot faster but I am actually more comfortable, more secure and feel safer in the tube. You'll need a PFD anyway for either one. Just my 2 cents.

Can't do a float tube. First, and most shallow, is that I think its just too weird for me. Second, and unsubstantiable, is that I find them weird; I don't like the idea of just sort of hanging in the water like that.

I honestly do not think I'd feel safer in it, regardless of the reality of that situation. Its just something weird to me, yeah, I know, I have issues.

Kayak here. Use it on rivers, it is not the best. Anchoring a Kayak in moving water is not the safest. I wear a PFD. It is comfy, fun, but for moving waters, a pontoon craft is the correct vehicle. Lakes, ponds, canoes and kayaks are great. Tell us more about what you want to do. I have a native ultimate, 14. Good for 2 people, so a large framed person should not be a problem.

The Native Ultimate was on the list, but I've since moved it off in favour of the Cobra Dive 'n Fish or the Malibu X-Factor.

I want to be able to hit smaller lakes and ponds. Once took a kayak trip down the Lehigh with a friend, and I can even imagine working the banks while the current moves me.

I'd originally been planning on a pontoon, not unlike your Fishcat, but someone had mentioned that you were pretty much at the mercy of the wind. I'd never really given serious thought to a kayak til I looked at a Tarpon 120, and the idea really set in.

Transportation isn't an issue, I've already got rack systems for both cars. The thing that appeals most about a 'yak is that the bigger SOTs can carry upto 600#, have a 38" beam, and can move into the thinnest water. Further, you can add outriggers for extra support (I'll probably make my own), a trolling motor, and the ability to go from the surf (haha) to the bays, rivers, creeks and ponds.

Everyone tells me canoes are unstable, and best for several people and lots of gear. My plans are only hours at a time, not camping out of it.

Oh, ninja edit: Even when I reach my goal weight, I'll still be 250+#. Most of the 'toons seem to top out at around 350-400, and while I don't know how heavy a trolling motor and batteries are, I imagine that's another 50#. So there's 300#. Add in some gear, a lunch, and things like wet clothes, figure that's another 25-30#. That's getting awfully close to that 400# max capacity.

Gfen

I have a 12' sit in kayak I paddle around the local lakes sometime with my son on board. Never tried fly fishing from in it yet. I think it would be better suited for drifting from spot to spot on rivers. If you ever wanna give it a try just let me know.

This is mine minus the Anglers Package

http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3668239

I was recently considering a trolling motor but decided against it. The battery and motor will add about 60-70lbs. Make sure to register the boat if you use any type motor. It took me a few outings to get over the feet in the water deal, but you need your hands to be free to fish. We don't have any gators in PA.

Which lakes do you goto, LL?

The fishing packages tend to pretty much translate to "multiple rod holders." Or, so it would appear from everything I've read so far. You should try using it as a fishing platform, and then report back to me. ;)

Buggy, I haven't looked up the specifics of the trolling motor, yet, other than to know if its powered it must be registered with PA, but I don't expect any probelm there. As you've told me, its about 60# for the gear to do so, which right there is going to make most pontoon boats be a less than perfect solution with my size.

As for my feet in the water? That's not what bugs me about tubes, its all of you in the water. Ick. No thanks.

gfen - Sounds like a pontoon would be the ticket for you. They're no more funny looking than you are. ;-)

Mine has a 600lb capacity, and is nice to fish out of on lakes with the use of kick fins to keep you from being at the mercy of the wind. Don't need a motor - it rows VERY well.

As far as fishing out of it in moving water - forget it. Drift socks, drag chains, etc, are not a good idea on rivers, unless you want to do a face plant in the water. Fins SUCK on rivers - think rocks. Best option is to drift until you find a good spot, park it on shore, and wade fish. My toon collapses down to fit in a huge duffle bag. I leave the frame assembled and hang it on a wall, and the rest stays in the duffle bag, but the whole thing fits in the bag.

I suggest a day of fishing in the near future - I'll take you up to Hidden Lake, and you can play with my boat to see if you like it.

Skykomish? It does seem to have the capacity to haul enough stuff. I'd also probably be willing to try to stand in something like that, too.

If some jackhole in a powerboat makes a pass, how does it actually handle the waves? Seems like you're pretty low to the water, so I assume the COG isn't making it too tippy?

My boat isn't in the 2010 catalog, but it's the same as the Skykomish - just shorter tubes (9'). You couldn't flip it on a lake if you wanted to. Wakes? Pfffft. Now if you were going bonzai down class 4 rapids, and hit a really big boulder, MAYBE you'd be able to flip it if you hit it broadside, but I've done it, and it just bounces off (scares the crap out of you, though).

I don't have the standing platform. It was worthless to me, and worth about half of what I paid for the boat to someone else. ;-)

You can get different height seat pedestals, and some that swivel, if height means anything to you (seen 'em at Walmart, no less). That'll change the cg though. That 10' 5wt is the nuggets for fishing out of a 'toon.

Hidden Lake is closed to fishing from 4/1 to 4/17. It's a great place to try out a new boat - you can see the bottom almost everywhere, and it's not deep. You could probably wade across the darn thing. Of course, that ain't saying much. :-D

Attachments

• MRST.jpg
    MRST.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 3
Here is a vote for a canoe. I fish a lot from kayaks and love it but in the last year I have fished more from a canoe here in PA. A major issue to consider is getting the boat on your car. Since you've already got the racks there's no problem there but consider the size and weight of the boat and esp the height of your car.
Here's a review I wrote last summer on a canoe I purchased and how I solved the problem of getting it on my car:

http://www.paflyfish.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=8633&forum=3

I have a Sea Eagle inflatable with a jointed ply-wood floor it's nice for the bigger stuff but i'd love to have a pontoon craft , how much would one like in the "Madison River" pic cost? The technology used in the toons , the inflatable part and the plastic parts bonded to them is very similar to my inflatable but the pontoon looks to be much more versatile.

Hi osprey - here's a link to Scadden's show special price list.

I have an Old Town Guide 147 canoe that I use on the Schuylkill. I haven't had any issues with the canoe being unstable. Old Town lists the canoe as weighing 74 lbs with a load range of 850 - 900 lbs. A benefit of a canoe is that you can take another person and that will give you the option of leaving a vehicle at a take out point somewhere down river.

I guess the biggest variable would be how much are you willing to spend. That may help determine what you end up with. I think you could probably get loaded, unloaded, on and off the water a little quicker with a Yak...no assembly required.

poke around this site a little.

http://www.austinkayak.com/

I have bought accessories from them and they are a good company but I don't think I'd buy a yak from Texas...the site will allow you to shop around, however.

I own a Coleman scanoe which will take up to a 5 h.p. motor but I don't take it out as often as I used to. It's big long and kinda heavy but you can comfortablt stand up in it and fish however with out a motor it is a little bit cumbersome to paddle with it's size. I think it is almost 17 feet, and navigating in moving water is ridiculous by yourself.

As far as kayaks go, I have a Dagger Delta which is a bigger wider kayak with a large opening for larger paddlers. I use it way more than my canoe because it is lighter smaller more navigable, and If you have to you can pick it up and carry it on your shoulder.

I've been in kayaks that felt unstable and if that is a concern look for one that has a wider shallower hull. It may not track as straight on the water but you will feel safer in it. I feel like a duck when I'm sitting in mine. I have no problem taking it on big choppy water.

As far as brands go, Wilderness Systems, Dagger, Mad River, and a few others have some great yaks, and an extensive variety as well offering kayaks targeted for fishing.

If you are looking for a canoe, there are so many brands, but you should check out Mad River Canoes if you want something small and portable like a kayak. They got some pretty cool little rigs.

If I were buying a new kayak for fishing, I would get the Wilderness Systems Commander. It's big and you can actually stand up in the thing. Not only that but it is a pontoon style so it cannot sink.
http://www.wildernesssystems.com/pages/index/homepage

Attachments

• 1556.JPG
    1556.JPG
    269.2 KB · Views: 3
Actually now that I think of it I saw some Old Towne canoes that are a perfect alternative to a kayak. They have a Pack Angler series that is small and portable as well as some other models that are small and lightweight.
http://www.oldtowncanoe.com/canoes/huntingFishing/

On second thought, canoes are getting expensive, holy crap! Most of them last forever, buy a used one.

Boy, I'd love to have a canoe. I've had my eye on this one, and with my discount, it'd be really cheap. Unfortunately, I live in an apartment, and have no outside storage available here, so my boat has to pack down to fit in a closet. No canoe or kayak is gonna do that.

That said, the idea of a small canoe is very appealing for slower waters, and Fishidiot's boat looks really nice! I can resist this temptation though, especially since the wiener dog is not included. ;-)

The convenience of being able to take an extra passenger would be nice, and if you drop something in a canoe, you can just pick it up. Drop something on a pontoon, and its at the bottom of the lake.

gfen, a good selling point for S.W.M.B.O. would be that you could take the kids out in a canoe. ;-)

Heritage,

I must have missed that one on the Old Towne site. That Rockport has a nice price tag.

Makes it look even more attractive.

Back