Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: Canoe. Kayak. Pontoon. Speak up!

From Greensburg, PA
I guess the biggest variable would be how much are you willing to spend. That may help determine what you end up with. I think you could probably get loaded, unloaded, on and off the water a little quicker with a Yak...no assembly required.

poke around this site a little.

http://www.austinkayak.com/

I have bought accessories from them and they are a good company but I don't think I'd buy a yak from Texas...the site will allow you to shop around, however.

Posted on: 2010/3/14 13:00

From York County
I own a Coleman scanoe which will take up to a 5 h.p. motor but I don't take it out as often as I used to. It's big long and kinda heavy but you can comfortablt stand up in it and fish however with out a motor it is a little bit cumbersome to paddle with it's size. I think it is almost 17 feet, and navigating in moving water is ridiculous by yourself.

As far as kayaks go, I have a Dagger Delta which is a bigger wider kayak with a large opening for larger paddlers. I use it way more than my canoe because it is lighter smaller more navigable, and If you have to you can pick it up and carry it on your shoulder.

I've been in kayaks that felt unstable and if that is a concern look for one that has a wider shallower hull. It may not track as straight on the water but you will feel safer in it. I feel like a duck when I'm sitting in mine. I have no problem taking it on big choppy water.

As far as brands go, Wilderness Systems, Dagger, Mad River, and a few others have some great yaks, and an extensive variety as well offering kayaks targeted for fishing.

If you are looking for a canoe, there are so many brands, but you should check out Mad River Canoes if you want something small and portable like a kayak. They got some pretty cool little rigs.

If I were buying a new kayak for fishing, I would get the Wilderness Systems Commander. It's big and you can actually stand up in the thing. Not only that but it is a pontoon style so it cannot sink.
http://www.wildernesssystems.com/pages/index/homepage

Attach file:

jpg  1556.JPG (269.23 KB)
1899_4b9d2a00c5b24.jpg 600X450 px

Posted on: 2010/3/14 14:25

From York County
Actually now that I think of it I saw some Old Towne canoes that are a perfect alternative to a kayak. They have a Pack Angler series that is small and portable as well as some other models that are small and lightweight.
http://www.oldtowncanoe.com/canoes/huntingFishing/

On second thought, canoes are getting expensive, holy crap! Most of them last forever, buy a used one.

Posted on: 2010/3/14 14:53

From Lehigh Valley
Boy, I'd love to have a canoe. I've had my eye on this one, and with my discount, it'd be really cheap. Unfortunately, I live in an apartment, and have no outside storage available here, so my boat has to pack down to fit in a closet. No canoe or kayak is gonna do that.

That said, the idea of a small canoe is very appealing for slower waters, and Fishidiot's boat looks really nice! I can resist this temptation though, especially since the wiener dog is not included.

The convenience of being able to take an extra passenger would be nice, and if you drop something in a canoe, you can just pick it up. Drop something on a pontoon, and its at the bottom of the lake.

gfen, a good selling point for S.W.M.B.O. would be that you could take the kids out in a canoe.

Posted on: 2010/3/14 15:10

From York County
Heritage,

I must have missed that one on the Old Towne site. That Rockport has a nice price tag.

Makes it look even more attractive.

Posted on: 2010/3/14 15:39

As far as boats i use for fishing, i have a 15'6" canoe that i still use mainly when i take someone along with me to fish.

When i fish alone up till this year i used a kayak. But after it becoming uncomfortable and creating some unneed pain when fishing for extend periods of time, i sold it.

I looked around and decide to replace it with a Venture Outdoors Pontoon Boat. It comes with hard shell pontoons, oars, built-in storage and the ability to change leg position to make it comfortable for long days fishing.

Here is a link to it

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/tem ... 321390a&_requestid=127049

jcspey

Attach file:

jpg  s7_321390_imageset_01.jpg (20.15 KB)
2183_4b9d70eb49681.jpg 380X380 px

Posted on: 2010/3/14 19:28

From Lehigh Valley
This has been a great thread, thanks for the input from everyone.

Anyways, been doing some thinking, and reviewing past thoughts and what everyone's shared.

Originally, when I'd decided to give serious review to a moderately priced watercraft, I had looked at a series of pontoon boats. At the time, it made sense: Stable, built for fishing, flexible options and easy to move and store.

First I was told by a relative who's a serious bass fisherman that they were downright useless, although I suppose anyone with a bass boat that costs more than my car might be somewhat biased. Heh.

Once I started to look askance at the credit card and really look into what I'd need, I noticed a snag: The ones I would look at didn't hold much weight. Figure that just for me, I need a capacity to carry 300#, and then that I'd like to have the options for an electric motor and other assorted gear and you're pushing 400#, without some extra just for safety's sake. Suddenly, the options aren't there.

Enter the canoe. Do some reading, and most stuff tends to be about kayaks (I do sort of feel that kayaking is kind of a fad/craze in sports right now), and kayakers tend to downplay canoes. Fair enough, the biggest draw of the canoe is big loads and multiple people, but down on stability. Exit the canoe.

So, we're at kayaks. Truthfully, I worry about them. Everyone says they're stable, but I dunno. Still, I started looking and some kayaks are capable of having people stand upright, carry heavy weight, and generally be useful. OK, a kayak. So, that's how I ended here, more or less with the thought that it was a kayak or bust.

I think I've come full circle. It was HA's Scadden that showed me there's a few 'toons out there that can support heavy weight. Of course, they're not cheap, but then again, neither are fishing kayaks (seriously, $850+ for a hunk of injection molded plastic?!).

A pontoon boat still seems like the most logical choice given my requirements. Stable, compact, purpose-built to fish and capable of what I'm looking for. The downside is the cost. The Skykomish ST seems to hit the optimum point, $950 for 600# of overbuilt boat, and that's on par with the kayak.

Anyways, my order of preference is pontoon, kayak and a distant last with the canoe. Since I'm focussed on lakes/ponds and at most a lazy float down a local river, I guess we'll go back to pontoons, for now.

ps: Oh, and for those who suggested using a canoe or even a kayak with a second seat to take a kid out? Over my wife's dead body. And against my better judgment, too. :)

Posted on: 2010/3/15 10:51

From lancaster
if you are looking for something that is stable i would get a toon....you have to try and flip one of them and i still don't think you could....i will vote for a toon i own two of them and the only downfall is to them that its alot of work to keep up with a kayak or a canoe.

Posted on: 2010/3/15 11:43

From Lehigh Valley
Man, Northshore's website is useless...but when you find your way into their store, you find their Element versions. Ditch the casting platform, and the Madison is only $699, a more or less negligable increase (all things considered what you're dropping) from the closet competitor I would consider, the Colorado XT. I don't think I want, or need, a standing platform.

Scadden Madison ST Element

Scadden Skykomish ST Element

(FWIW, it appears the casting platform is a $450 option, so it makes sense to buy it if you expect you'll want it, and save $250 in the long run, but whatever)

Posted on: 2010/3/15 12:09

This is my first post here, but the topic is interresting because I was trying to make the same type of decision last year. I ended up building my own boat--a pirogue--sort of a flat bottomed canoe. Check out Unclejohns.com It was fun to build, less expensive than most comparable boats, and best of all one of a kind.

Posted on: 2010/3/15 13:36

From Lehigh Valley
Quote:

gfen wrote:
Man, Northshore's website is useless...but when you find your way into their store, you find their Element versions. Ditch the casting platform, and the Madison is only $699, a more or less negligable increase (all things considered what you're dropping) from the closet competitor I would consider, the Colorado XT. I don't think I want, or need, a standing platform.

Scadden Madison ST Element

Scadden Skykomish ST Element

(FWIW, it appears the casting platform is a $450 option, so it makes sense to buy it if you expect you'll want it, and save $250 in the long run, but whatever)

If you get serious about buying one of these, remember the "H.A. Network". It will make you smile.

Posted on: 2010/3/15 16:53

From York County
Well, now you are giving us a lot of info, seems like you are really undecided.

You did mention cargo weight being a concern, I have a Coleman Scanoe and while it is not the lightest most portable boat, it has a flat back with a transom and will take up to a 5 h.p. tiller motor.

I can walk around in it on the water and stand to one side of it and it will not tip. I garauntee you it is about the widest canoe they make.

Like I said it is not light but I can get it on top of my SUV by myself. I usually bring it camping with me, it will comfortably fit two adults and three kids, and has a weight capacity of 770 or is it 880lbs.

Like I said it's big, but I don't think it weighs over 100 pounds, bought mine used like 15 years ago for $100.

Edit: New models say weight capacity is 950lbs. and weight is 130lbs. they have a new look as well. I think the newer ones are heavier. i'll have to find a pic.

I'll tell you what though, it may be big and heavy, but you can't beat them for their versatility and capacity. You want a stable boat, check this video out, I love my scanoe. And I would't get rid of it.

Posted on: 2010/3/15 17:47

From York County
And just one more video.

Posted on: 2010/3/15 18:08

From Central Jersey
This is my first post herebut the topic is interresting because I was trying to make the same type of decision last yearI ended up building my own boat--a pirogue--sort of a flat bottomed canoeCheck out Unclejohns.com It was fun to buildless expensive than most comparable boats, and best of all one of a kind.

What kind of fishing are you doing in the pierogie?

Posted on: 2010/3/15 19:14

Pirogues are usually for slow moving or still water, but the design is adaptable. I have used mine for fishing on local lakes--mostly for bass. It is nice because it only weighs about 50 lbs so I can load it on the car top by myself. I just built it last year, and I'm looking forward to using it a lot more this year.

Posted on: 2010/3/15 21:16

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
59 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
2 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com