Camping pads (self-inflating, foam, other?)

T

troutbert

Does anyone have any good tips on camping pads, to cushion you from the cold hard ground?

Back in the day Therma-Rest self-inflating pads were the common thing. Are they still the go-to camping pad? They have a lot of models, some of which are pretty expensive.

Are there other companies that make similar pads that provide better values?

Are self-inflating pads prone to leakage? Can they be fixed?

Are foam pads a better option?

I will probably be car & tent camping most of the time, but may be back-packing occasionally. So I guess I'm looking for something in the medium range of size and weight.

IMO ThermaRest and Exped are the leaders in sleeping pads.

Yes, they can get expensive when you start to move away from the 3/4 ultra light backpacking models. However, remember, you're putting a price on a good nights sleep. Get what you can afford. Since, you stated car/tenting, weight shouldn't be an issue.

They do leak from time to time. Just remember to not over inflate, watch where you place it (roots, twigs, stones, etc.) , and try not to step directly on it (localized pressure). If it leaks, they make patch kits. Soapy water to find the leak.

Foams pads are great. Sturdy with no problems leaking air. Just not as comfortable. However, if you plan to do any winter camping, they are great. Place the foam on the ground first. Then place the air pad. The foam insulates you from the cold ground better than air.

Hope that helps.

I camp about every other weekend when there is no snow falling, my thermarest always goes with me. I've had it for 15 years now and it's been holding up good.

I have a couple Therma-rests and they are great. I also bought a thicker REI inflatable and it seems to be holing up great too.

I went camping near Ohiopyle years ago in the snow and I took my little 3/4 Therma-rest ultra light. I couldn't believe the difference it made on the cold ground.

I haven't been looking so have no idea what there is new on the market. I have several therma-rests for a long time that have held up well and am still using them. Two are for car camping and one for backpacking. I have not had any leaks in them to date so have no experience with patching. I cannot get a good sleep on foam unless it's 3 to 4" thick (two cot pads actually) but they take up too much room in the car. For me the therma-rest is far better than those foam rollup pads.

I think self inflating pads are the way to go.
Just roll them out, open the valve, and they puff up nicely.
I have two 3" thick pads made by wenzel, that I bought over 10 years ago now. They were pretty cheap - $30 each at sams club.
Very comfortable, and I haven't had any problems with them

troutbert wrote:
Does anyone have any good tips on camping pads, to cushion you from the cold hard ground?

Back in the day Therma-Rest self-inflating pads were the common thing. Are they still the go-to camping pad? They have a lot of models, some of which are pretty expensive.

Are there other companies that make similar pads that provide better values?

Are self-inflating pads prone to leakage? Can they be fixed?

Are foam pads a better option?

I will probably be car & tent camping most of the time, but may be back-packing occasionally. So I guess I'm looking for something in the medium range of size and weight.

I own a couple of different models of Therm-a-Rest pads. I have some Camp Rests, for car camping, or for the periodic times I feel like lugging along the extra weight on a backpacking trip. I have some of their lighter pads from a few years ago, that are not solid foam but have triangles of foam cut out, to save weight. They seem to do the trick, despite not being solid. Their newest models are ridiculously expensive, IMHO, so I usually try to find the the previous year's model somewhere. I picked up an REI-branded light Therm-a-Rest awhile back (before they came out with the Prolite series) and that pad has worked well. If you're really conscious about weight, you can go with a 3/4 length pad, but I usually like having my feet off the ground (especially if the ground is wet and cold), so I go with a full-length pad.

I've had one leak on one of the Camp Rests (it may have been a defect and purchased that way) and one leak on a Therm-a-Rest pillow (spark from a fire, or more likely a larger ember). One leak was fixed with the Therm-a-Rest leak kit - the other with some AquaSeal.

I've never had to use their warranty service for a sleeping pad, but Cascade Designs customer service is top notch. I have had a MSR stove pump and a MSR Dromedary bag bite valve and tube replaced, at no additional cost to me (MSR is owned by Cascade Designs).

In the past five years, even with a sleeping pad, I found that I was waking up with a horrible back ache. I bought a Therm-a-Rest lumbar pad for a camp seat and to double as a pillow, but that didn't solve the problem. One time, I carried the other Therm-a-Rest seat I bought (the ember hole burnt one) AND the lumbar pad by accident, but ended up using both of them as pillows - no sore back. I put them underneath the sleeping pad; and that extra incline solved my back problems.

I had a Ridge Rest as my first camping pad; it was ok, but I think I gave it to my brother.

Would never buy a 3/4 length- not comfortable.

Bought a thinner, lightweight self inflating one to save a few ounces, however; I found through many nights of fitful sleep that the fat daddy 2 or 3 inches inflaters were totally worth the extra space and or weight. If you car camp this is a no brainer- get the thick one.

Cant really recommend one since I have not looked at them in 10-15 years.

Additionally:

If you car camp- there really is no reason to NOT buy a tent you can stand up in, to change, more room etc... and use a cot. A cot is many times more comfortable and keeps you off the ground. Cots are constructed much better now than 20 years ago.

Good luck.

Back