cameras ?

D

dryfly

What are guys liking for cameras these days?
I used my smart phone all season last year and never dropped it.
Dont want to take that chance again this season...and would love to shoot some underwater picts too.

I have the Pentax Optio WG-1. I'm satisfied with the underwater pics but believe there are much better options in the price range for overall performance.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 2
I have the Pentax Optio WG-1. I'm satisfied with the underwater pics but believe there are much better options in the price range for overall performance.

If you have an iphone (I don't believe its available for droid) you could always go with a Lifeproof case. They're relatively cheap on ebay, are totally waterproof, military grade and to me its just one less thing to have to carry around because I almost always have my phone when fishing. the iphone has good enough camera to hold its own...this is, of course, totally pending on if you have an iphone.

Nikon D5000, Nikon D40, Olympus Stylus 850SW

I started taking a Canon 7d and a GoPro Hero 2 with me.....Wouldn't suggest dunking the Canon 7d in the water though

I have an Olympus water proof and it works great.

Nikon AW100. Easy to use. Great pics & vids above and underwater. Happy with it.

I have a Canon PowerShot D10 (waterproof). It takes nice pics.

When I was shopping, my gripe with the Olympus's was slowness. Took too long to power up, focus, save a picture, etc. The Canon is lightning quick, I can power up, snap a pic, and power down in just seconds. They both take nice pictures.

That was quite a while ago now, though, and I'm sure things have changed. Canon has a new model. Nikon has joined the waterproof fray, and always put out a good product. Olympus I'm sure has new models. The GoPro's have become popular and look nice. I think even the cheaper brands have waterproof models, like Casio, Fuji, etc.

Capturing the beauty of the fish and scenery is a big part of why we get out there...so, it is disappointing not to be able to capture what we see.

I've had several Olympus cameras and I currently use the 810 Tough. Periodically, I read the reviews on the web hoping something better would be out there...but, have not felt the need to throw money away. The marketing hype suggests vast improvements with each new model...but, I have not seen it when I have tried them. It seams that the buttons have also become more difficult and less intuitive with each improvement. The low light scenarios and amount of detail captured can be better. I find myself color correcting any images I take (occupational hazard).

As already mentioned by others, the ability to take your iPhone (in a Lifeproof case) along is a great addition...but more for the smart phone than the camera.

I find myself in a hurry to release a fish and sometimes take photos with both when I do not see ideal results. Many times I am by myself...which creates a rough time documenting holding a large fish. Having a buddy to capture that moment continuously yields better results.

Attachments

• P5251036_R.jpg
    P5251036_R.jpg
    226.1 KB · Views: 4
I got a cannon D20 (waterproof). Very happy with all my pics and videos

I have the Kodak PlaySport (?) waterproof. It's compact, has a macro mode and is easy to operate one-handed. Only knock I have on it is the lack of a flash. Next one will definitely have a flash. There are just times you need to have it.

I havew the Fujifilm wp z. It's been great! It has long battery life, it takes stills and video, shoots underwater and it is easy to use. What more could you want?

Phish_On wrote:
+1 on the Olympus Stylus 850SW. IMO it's a great camera. It is small, lightweight, waterproof, shockproof and takes very good macro photos. Mine is always in my fishing vest.

WildTigerTrout wrote:
Phish_On wrote:
+1 on the Olympus Stylus 850SW. IMO it's a great camera. It is small, lightweight, waterproof, shockproof and takes very good macro photos. Mine is always in my fishing vest.

The olympus is a good camera. Im not happy with the resolution of the pictures. Thats why i always carry one of my dslr with me all the time. Although they dont like water to much.

If your looking for a solid camera that will take a beating, the olympus stylus line is great for that.

Phish_On wrote:
WildTigerTrout wrote:
Phish_On wrote:

The olympus is a good camera. Im not happy with the resolution of the pictures. Thats why i always carry one of my dslr with me all the time. Although they dont like water to much.

If your looking for a solid camera that will take a beating, the olympus stylus line is great for that.
That's one of the reasons I bought it, it's tough. I really have no complaints about the resolution. I have had quite a few 8x10's and 5x7's made and they are very clear.

I just bought the Olympus tough TG-1 a couple weeks ago and love it. My first waterproof/shockproof camera so I can't comment on the others for comparison. So far so good. I read that they are coming out with the TG-2 in March.

Olympus om-d em5. It is weather sealed so wet hands and a little rain are ok it's pretty awkward and gets in the way but its 100 times easier than my canon 7d was.

Nikon AW100

dropped it, froze it, dunked it and still all good. great quality vid and pics

Back