Camera Recommendations

Stagger_Lee

Stagger_Lee

I rarely take pictures when I fish cause I find it a real hassle to grab the phone, flip thru the apps, get to the camera and snap .. just a P-I-T-A. Would like to start documenting my fishing from what I catch to where I go thru the lens.

Any recommendations for a decent camera that isn't expensive whether you and/or someone you know is happy with that works well on the water?

I have an Olympus TG-820 and would highly recommend it. It is waterproof, shockproof, freezeproof, and dustproof, and most importnatly, it takes very nice pictures. Its a bit on the hefty side due to the "tough" construction, but not bad at all.

I'm not sure what yor price range is, but I believe I got mine for around $200.

I went very cheap as I am not a camera buff. I found a 12 M point and click for around $60. If I drop it, it isn't the end of the world. Takes good enough photos for me.

$200 seems steep for what I was thinking but never thought of the waterproof, shockproof, etc factor ... which interests me but not sure abt bulky .. will check it out. Where to you hold it on you when u fish? I'm thinking a case on my wader suspender would be convenient.

Not a camera buff either Jack and if I don't go waterproof, shock proof etc .. under $100 would be good considering I drop gadgets often .. already lost one phone when I dropped it in the LL and rice didn't work cause it was to late when I got home.

Stagger_Lee wrote:
I rarely take pictures when I fish cause I find it a real hassle to grab the phone, flip thru the apps, get to the camera and snap .. just a P-I-T-A. Would like to start documenting my fishing from what I catch to where I go thru the lens.

Any recommendations for a decent camera that isn't expensive whether you and/or someone you know is happy with that works well on the water?

Well I've seen you fish without much catching going on, so what do you plan to photograph? :cool: :cool:

The scenery Foxy .. that is why I was sure to put "where I go" ;-)

"quote: Where to you hold it on you when u fish? I'm thinking a case on my wader suspender would be convenient. "

I've hung my point and shoot on a lanyard, around my neck, tucked inside my chest waders. Real easy to get to and unless I take a dunking, it'll be safe.

Keith .. water proof? Type, cost and likey?

I usually tuck it into an open pocket the top of my check pack. I put a small caribiner on the camera strap and hook it to my chest pack strap. It enables me to grab it quickly and still gives me enough play on the strap to take pretty much any photo I would want without unhooking it.

I'm not sure if bulky is exactly the best word. Its more that it is heavier than a standard camera that size. It is certainly small enough that is doesnt bother me. The basic dimensions are
2.6 in x 4 x 1 inches. Weight: 7.3 oz.

There are other models in the Olympus Tough line, some older which you are likely able to find for a good bit cheaper, and some newer that are more expensive. I've never actually heard anything bad about any of them.

Some of the newer models include GPS capabilities that will tag exactly where you were when you took the picture. I always thought that would be cool for fish pics, but not worth the extra $$$ to me.

There are other models in the Olympus Tough line, some older which you are likely able to find for a good bit cheaper, and some newer that are more expensive. I've never actually heard anything bad about any of them.

I had an Olympus Stylus Tough until it mysteriously started acting up and didn't work properly, but anyways.... overall I thought it was a decent camera except for it being SLOW! The start-up was super slow, which is not good for a fishing camera especially if you want to hury up and get the fish back in the water. It took some fantastic photos, but the bad photos outnumberd the good ones. I like to be able to take a lot of pics in a very short amount of time and usually at least one of them turns out good, but that just wasn't possible with the Olympus because of the slowness. Just had to take a pic or two of the fish and pray it turned out good.....or just have the fish out for a very long time(which obviously isn't good, unless you're keeping it of course).

Stagger'
NOT waterproof. That's why it's INSIDE my waders.
Casio Piece O' Crap, $100.00, or so 2 years ago
but it works takes good pics.

Here's a vote for Pentax.

Mine is an older model (WP-60). Waterproof, not shockproof, but I've dropped it several times, and it works perfectly. Takes really good macro shots, too. Very fast startup time - about 2 seconds.

Best part though is the editing software it comes with - simple and really works great. Makes resizing images a breeze, and you can "fix" images that don't come out perfectly (to a point).

Fox has the same model, as does martin0206. As far as I know, they're happy with it too.

I keep the strap attached to a Simms coil retractor, and the camera in a front upper pocket of my G3 vest. Easy to grab with one hand and shoot, yet it is still attached so I don't drop it.

Spare batteries are cheap on Amazon - I got two higher capacity batteries with a really nice charger for under $20.

The camera has a "green mode" that automatically chooses the best mode for the shot, and it stays in whatever mode you choose when you turn the camera off. That's handy, and really speeds things up when you're in a hurry to release a fish.

Check out Amazon - they sometimes have older models cheap, and even used ones. Fox got his that way, and with his points, it was free!

Check out this macro shot - pretty good for a point & shoot waterproof camera...

Attachments

• sulphur nymph 1.jpg
    sulphur nymph 1.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 1
Many manufacturers such as Canon and Olympus have refurbished camera listings that come with 1 year limited warranties.
I bought my latest compact fishing camera 4 years ago for less than 1/2 price because it was also a discontinued model.
I'm just started having a problem with a sticky zoom button but that's not too bad for all the abuse this camera has taken. It's an old Canon sd950. It takes really nice pics even in low light for a compact camera.

+1 for the Olympus Tough Series

I take the strap to my camera and put it on a zinger, then stuff my camera into one of the top pockets in my vest. That way I can just unzip the pocket and take a simple picture, but make sure I don't drop the camera or leave it on the ground after I take a picture. Sometimes I have to stupid proof myself.

Right now I have a Canon Powershot D10. It is waterproof and shockproof. It takes nice pics.

Advantages:

Quickest on, focus, snap, off I've ever seen. That's what sold me. I can literally go from off to off in 2 or 3 seconds. MUCH, MUCH quicker than the Olympus Tough series of the time. I think it takes better pics, too, especially above water, where most of them are. And when I turn the flash off, it stays off! Turn it off, change the batteries, etc., and the settings are right where I left them. Battery life is exceptional with the Li-ion battery that comes with.

Disadvantages:

Either the camera, or I, am not real good with underwater shots. Think it's more the user than the camera, personally. It's small enough, but a weird egg shape makes it fairly thick, and it doesn't stuff into a pocket easily. I strap the wrist strap to the waders and tuck it under the waders, but then it's a bit of a chore to get out and ready, which sucks while fighting a fish. That Li-ion battery is flat and square, and requires the exact charger that came with the camera. No other charger will work and I constantly misplace it. None of the electronics stores sold Canon's shockproof-waterproof P&S line, they didn't even know Canon made them. Had to order from Amazon. It was pricy compared to the waterproof/shockproof options from other companies.

At the time, there were a few other brands which made the waterproof/shockproof cameras. Pentax and others, well, they kinda sucked from a picture quality perspective. As evidenced by numerous reviews from photography experts, and I believed them based on a crappy non-waterproof Pentax I once had. The main, respected camera brand competitor was Olympus' Tough series. The Canon was noticably faster, more responsive, and easier to use, and IMO took slightly better pictures out of the water. The Olympus was cheaper, had a better form factor, and while I have no personal experience, judging by others it seems like it takes better underwater pics. It's also widely available in stores like Best Buy.

That said, both Canon and Olympus have new models since I shopped. Both may have improved upon their shortcomings. Olympus makes a solid camera and is a brand I respect. I think a few other quality camera companies might have also entered the waterproof/shockproof P&S market, like Nikon and maybe Panasonic? So my prior research is now outdated on many fronts. I'm still happy with mine and it's a rock, it's taken some abuse over time, and still happily takes good pics. I got what I wanted. If I ever need another one, I'll re-do the research then, but I have no need to now.

Stagger_Lee wrote:

What kind of phone do you have? If you have a smartphone, why not put a shortcut to the camera app on one of your screens or depending on the phone operating system/vendor, on the lock screen dock? There's no need to be flipping through pages of apps to get to the camera app..

I have the camera on my lock screen dock and I can swipe and have the camera running in a few seconds. I also have it on my fishing home screen with my other fishing related apps, which is where I usually launch it from, snap the picture, release the fish, and log the catch. The phone goes in a zippered pocket of my jacket, fanny pack, vest, regular pack, or whatever I'm wearing at the time that I can close. I can't take underwater shots, which is the only drawback to this method.

+1 for the Pentax WP. First one lasted me 3 years til I forgot to close the battery door before taking an underwater shot. Second one going strong after 2+ years of abuse. Excellent macro shots with the built in LED lights.

Another option is a waterproof case for your cell phone. Lifeproof and Otterbox both have decent ones. Be sure to test it before putting your phone under water.

Salmanoid ... I have a Galaxy3 but have no clue how to do this ..
why not put a shortcut to the camera app on one of your screens or depending on the phone operating system/vendor, on the lock screen dock? There's no need to be flipping through pages of apps to get to the camera app..

Lots of good recommendations and I'm going to start shopping tho I may go with the waterproof/shockproof phone case route as well

It's a viable method, and would save you money. But personally, camera phones are great for unplanned pictures. There's something cool, I don't have a camera on me, I do have my phone, snap.

But overall, I've never been a fan of the jack of all trades approach. It's a master of none. If I go somewhere intending to take pictures, I'm taking an actual camera. It's the better tool for the job.

Back