Cabelas Rod and reel combos

bigjohn58

bigjohn58

I want to get a rod and reel to use for salmon in NY maybe this fall. I don't want to go crazy money wise since I might only do this a few times a year and I like the prices of 2 of the rod and reel combos at Cabelas. I am looking at the Cabela's LSi/RLS+ Fly Combo in a 9'9" 8 wt and the Echo Ion/Cabela's RLS+ Fly Combo 10' 8 wt. Could I possibly use these rods for smallies too or no? Just wondered what anyone's opinions of these rod/reel combos were. I know some don't like Cabelas rods but I'm looking for affordability and half decent quality that will withstand a salmon.

For salmon, you'd be much better off with a 10wt. The combos you listed will be fine for smallies and steel, but you'll want a lot more to pull in a 20lb king. I've done it with an 8wt, but for newbies, I 'd use a 10wt.

Well I was told that an 8 weight will work but its on the light end and I'd love to have the rod be able to do more then just one type of fishing. I've fished for steelheads with my 9' 6 wt and have had no problems.

What is the warranty on the cabelas rods? If you are looking to go a less expensive route check the TFO rods. They have a great warranty program. John, I am originally from Howard, PA and live in Upstate, NY now. I would recommend at least a 9 wt. for the Salmon. For Steel Head I use an 8 wt. I noticed you are from Lock Haven. I still have a camp on Beech Creek Mountain and I was out there fishing the first day of Tout in PA. I plan to make another trip down sometime and fish Baker Run up to where Rock Run and Tarklin Run come together. It is only a short walk from there to my camp. I understand you are looking to save some money, but make sure the rod has a good warranty incase you snap it on one of those 30 lb salmon. Salmon fishing is fun, but if you fish in town it will be extremely busy in September. It often reminds me of everyone from Clinton and Centre county standing around drinking beer and fishing. Let me know if you have any quesitons.

Thats one stream I do not understand...Bakers Run. I have never fished it nor care to fish it. I know why it is stocked but I do not think it should be. My parent's neighbor down the street goes there everytime they stock and gets his 5 and leaves. He will take everyone possible with him so they all get their 5 then leave. To me its a joke like taking a bucket of fish and dumping them in your bath tub. I feel bad for the few natives and wild fish that are in there.

I guess you are right about looking into the warranty. If I'm only going to use it a few times a year I can't see spending a ton of money on it but I do want something that is comfortable to use. I mostly fish my G Loomis I believe its a GL4 9' 6wt (I built it 6 or so years ago and since it has been discontinued) for trout and really love that rod. I just don't want to end up with some big clunky rod that isn't fun or real practical to fish with.

BigJohn

I've no experience with the Cabelas RLS reel but the Echo Ion is a good stick for the price. Comes with a great warranty as well. I've never fished the salmon but most people seem to like a size up when it comes to rods up there for salmon. I've landed salmon in NY on the oak with a 7wt and had no problems and have friends that fish rods that light every year. I usually use an 8wt there, but the flows are much different which is probably what most factor in.

An 8 might be a little light, but like many rods these days an 8wt Ion would probably lean more towards a 9wt anyhow. YMMV

Keeping a reel with a good drag in mind would also be beneficial. Read up on the RLS reviews and see how other people have fared. Good luck.

What is Echo's rod warranty? The reel actually got very good reviews and has a 10 year warranty.

i cant say any thing for echo's rods but i do own a ion reel 8/10 and for the money there is not much better and the warranty is decent too. as for the rest of Rajeff Sports i really like it and the rage shooting heads are sweet!

their warrenty info can be found here:

http://www.echoflyfishing.com/html/warranty.php

John,

Only a small portion of Baker Run is stocked. Not sure what you mean by it is stocked. The only section that is still stocked is the lower mile or 2 miles before it dumps into the Susquehanna. The rest of the 5 to 8 miles is all natural reproduction brookies. From what I hear it is one of the best streams in and around Beech Creek Mountain for native brookies. The upper section. Above the gate is where I am talking about. If you look at it on a map you will see where the other streams flow into it. Clenadon Branch, Shoemaker Branch, Rock Run, and Eagleton Run. None of those areas are stocked anymore and have't been for at least 15+ years.

Just never heard anyone really fishing it for natives. I guess there are so many options in Clinton County that I only ever thought of it as a stockie stream that was a waste for hatchery fish.

Back