Cabelas Reels

shipnfish2006

shipnfish2006

Well I'm looking at making my 4th rod/reel purchase in the last year here. This time I'm replacing my cracked bass rod, I've already decided on the rod, but now I'm looking at reels and I'm trying hard to not break the bank on this one cause bass fishing is the least of what I fly fish. However I'm making a trip for Stripers this year and I want a reel thats under $100 that will perform well. Right now I'm looking at the Cabelas Prestige Plus and CSR reels. Does anyone have any input on either of these reels? Or can recommend a good, but under $100 reel that would work well for Stripers? Thanks in advance!

I have, and like, the prestige plus...I think its built a little sturdier than many of their other reels too. for 100 bucks I got a whole outfit there including that reel...

I have the smallest CSR on my 4 weight. I'm happy with it, of course I haven't had any fish take me into the backing on it either.

I think Cabelas provides good value in their equipment.

I second the prestige plus. I bought one with a spare spool for like 60 bucks. I use it on my 3 and 4 weight. The drag is smooth, and its pretty light (bit heavy for the 3 weight, but oh well). I have no complaints.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, it looks like I'm gonna go with the prestige plus, I just wasnt sure if it was one of those free flowing reels that creates bird nests all of the time like this one that came with my 6wt that I've since replaced because of lost fish that ran on me and broke me off.

At cabela's they have all kinds of reels sitting out. Go ahead and lock the drag down and give them a few spins to see how they react. That's what I do anyway.

I own all the cabelas reels and like pretige plus reels the best.

I agree, the Prestige Plus is a good real for the buck. With a $100 limit, for just a few bucks more you could get an Orvis Mid Arbor Reel. I have one that I use for trout, and love it! Maintenance free, great drag--a bit of overkill for most PA trout, but it's never let me down. Great product IMHO.

http://www.orvis.com/store/product_choice.asp?dir%5Fid=758&group%5Fid=768&cat%5Fid=7908&subcat%5Fid=7909&pf%5Fid=72ER

Back