Cabelas combos

chstrcntyfish

chstrcntyfish

Ok so several months ago I bought my first fly rod and reel from Cabelas. I bought a 8'6" 5 wt. three forks prestige plus combo. My last few trips to valley creek I began noticing that the reel was loose and I attempted to tighten it. I then realized that the part on the butt of the rod where the uplocking rings are was lose. I took off the reel and thought that maybe that part screwed on too. I found out that it was just glue which did not hold. So now I have a busted rod and I, for obvious reasons do not want to have the rod replaced with another like it. The only problem is that I can not return just the rod, but instead the reel, line, and backing as well because it all came together. So now I have to return everything and buy something else. Since I did fine with that setup and the reel worked fine, I am going to buy the same reel again because it was cheap and it worked. In addition, I will be upgrading to a TFO Lefty Kreh rod. Does this sound good?

In the few dealings I've had with Cabela's, it's odd to me, they won't make good on only the rod!?
Secondly, is it such, that you cannot re-glue this loose place on the rod? Granted, you "shouldn't have to", but it's an option if you're fighting downtime for fishing.
As to the "reel itself", after your experience with the rod, don't always look upon your fishing gear as; "It's cheap and it works".
I've learned too many times, over and over again, before I realized especially in fly fishing equipment...... "you get what you pay for" and believe me, "cheap and it works", can often times cost you more than a fish. Years ago, I had a "cheap, but it worked", fly reel "blow up" on me, when a fish took off.
The cheap drag didn't hold and it locked up solid and all in a blink of an eye, the leader snapped, the spool fell off the reel's frame and then the line dumped back down through the rod...dumped my flyline and backing...............all in one, huge, tangled, heap..... right into the swiftest part of the stream I was wading in.
Needless to say, the whole kit and caboodle, went sailing merrily off down stream, never to be seen again.
I, in NO WAY, advocate "buy only the very best", because that, to ME is also, only so much hype and sales talk!! But, try your best to get "good quality, fairly priced, well made gear" even if it's used!!
The Internet is full of sales and auctions, etc, where great gear can be had for some great prices.
And, yes.......... Lefty's rods seem to be very good rods, for the money. I have 3 of them and fish them often.

I'm with flybinder...I've not had a bad experience with cabelas when something wasn't quite right. I have also had things break and replced them with exactly the same thing and never had a problem again. I have also made my own repairs to save time and money...so you have options. If I were to have them replace the rod and they offered to give me a new reel and line and backing and everything again..I wouldn't argue. You jut extended the life of your fly line by "several months"

If they won't make good on just the rod (sounds unlike them to me), and you can afford it, get the TFO. It's a great rod for the price. My TFO Lefty Professional 4wt is still my go to rod for general trout fishing. Glue the broken one and keep it as a backup. You're officially getting the fly fishing bug now... the rod collection has begun.

I think that based on the advice here I might upgrade the reel. The cabelas reel worked fine and the drag seemed to be ok when I landed a 23" rainbow on it. Believe me that tested it out pretty well. But anyway I might as well upgrade my reel too. So are there any fairly priced reels that anyone might recommend? I don't want to get too pricey for fishing once a week. I am thinking a 4 weight rod instead of a 5 which was a little heavy for most of the trout i've caught so far. Maybe a little bit shorter too would an 8 foot rod be too short for my limited casting ability?

Great advice has been given. Fix the rod to deal with the downtime if you can, if not, talk to a manager at Cabelas and they should give you credit for the combo. Then replace it with whatever is within your means.

I'm a bit confused after your second post though. You said that the reel performed fine, but you wanted to upgrade it? Why? What about the rod? The rod is what seems to be the problem now, correct?

As for a good reel, there are lots of them out there, what is your price range?

Personally, I love casting my 9 ft 5wt. Casts like a dream, but that's just me. I've got a couple of 4 wt rods that I also enjoy casting too. The trick though is casting different rods and seeing what feels best to you. Another important aspect is what streams you fish. I can't advise you as to what is ideal for Valley, as I don't fish it, but I'm sure some of the guys here can comment on that note.

If you can, go to a local fly shop and see what they recommend and what is offered within your price range. They are far more knowledgable and generally more helpful than the big box stores.

Good luck!

Since you mention Valley...

8'6'' TFO 4wt is my go to rod on Valley. When it's really low and clear, especially when fishing dries, I use my 7'6'' Versitex 3wt with a clear creek taper natural toned line. Seems to do pretty well.

For a cheap reel, I love the cabela's prestige plus... despite my gripes about the CSR. Honestly, an orvis battenkill would be your best bet.

If Cabelas willn't fix the problem, check with your local fly shop to see if they have someone that fixes rods. About five years ago my wifes Cortland rod did the same thing, handle came loose. Took it to the fly shop and asked if he knew someone to fix it. About a week later I got it back. Cost about the same as if I sent it back to Cortland to fix except they probably would have sent a new one.

Would you say that other than preference, there is much of a difference between a 4 wt. and 5 wt. of the same length? I am still debating if I should get a different reel as well.

Personally, if the reel works and you're happy with it, KEEP IT!
As to the rod length, and weight, asking any flyfisherman that question, can open a can of flys, (worms?), to no end!
I have them all, from a 5 foot Fernwick glass 6wt, which I love, to a 10'-6" Thomas and Thomas, which I equally love and all lengths and weights, in between them.
So, my opinion isn't going to match the same, perhaps, as the next member who posts and that's the "fun" if you will, of "FLY FISHING" and its associated gear!
As been suggested, already, if one is close enough to you......... hit up a fly shop and ask them to rig you up rods that you're interested in, (and can afford), and then go outside and cast them if at all possible.
If I, happen to suggest, that "I love a 8' 6" 4wt. over many rods", and you cast one at a fly shop............ and don't like it, then what?
BUT! Was the 8' 6" I LOVE, the same brand, parabolic action, maker, etc, that YOU tried out and DIDN'T like?
The only "my opinion only" that I say is, "I NEVER buy a fly rod, that I cannot cast BEFORE I buy it".
There are many "suggestions" of course, on brands, styles, lengths, wts., etc, but unfortunately, there at not two members on this forum, that cast the same way, or handle a fly rod the same way. No one casts the way YOU do, so one can only offer "rough suggestions" to personal preferences.
In my collection, I have a few Sage rods. Two are 9' 5wt. exact same models, made in the same year. Each one, casts differently and I have to fish them, differently, to get them to do what I wish them to do!?!

My two cents; The rod weight would depend on what types of flies you are planning to fish. Smaller flies and rigs go with the 4 weight. If you are casting large flies, streamers, or tandem nymph rigs go with the 5 weight. After a while (probably a short while) you will end up with one of each so don't worry too much. Length is somewhat dependant on where you fish. Brushy streams go 7'6" or 8'. Less brush go for 8'6" or 9'. If you go with a 5 weight I'd suggest 8'6" or 9'. I think it's easier to learn to cast with a longer rod.

I just got into FF a little over two years ago and am now starting to develop a good feel for my rods. I do FF more than the average (probably 150 days on the water over last two years) so it may take longer to develop a feel.

I'd say the 4wt is better for Valley. For general purpose fishing, though... well you can't beat a 5 wt. It'll suffice for bass in a pinch, will catch trout anywhere in PA, can cast small dries as well as decent sized streamers...

I find myself in a dilemma when it comes time to put the lead to em and start chucking and ducking when I have my 4wt, usually on the tully.

Ok...So I decided to go with the 4 weight rod because I really only fish smaller streams. 8'6" seems like the best choice because I could make a decent cast on valley with my old rod which was that long. Also I am buying a different reel because I know that if I get another cabelas reel I will want to upgrade in a month. I checked out the Orvis Battenkill and that was nice so i'll get one of those. Also I read some good reviews about it and the finish is nicer than the cabelas........................................which brings me to my next question. Line, I need to buy line because the cabelas combo had line and backing on it and I have to return it with line and backing. I had cabelas prestige plus line before and I don't know if I should buy that again. Would you recommend any lines that aren't too expensive for basic trout fishing? Does cortland line cast well? I have alot of questions. I don't want to make any mistakes.

CHSTRCNTYFISH:
Uhhhh, you took up FLY FISHING and "you don't want to make any mistakes"!?? Sorry, that wasn't nice of me, but when I read that, I thought of the 12, 456, 897, 102.3 mistakes, that I MAKE, every time I suit up to fish and I've been frothing the waters for over 40 years now.
Anyway, like rods, lines, girls, backing and reels........ it's very seldom that two like fly fishermen will agree on an item. 100%.
But, since you asked and since this is an opinions post, I'll throw in my 9 cents worth on lines........................
I "really like" Cortland's. 555 series. They are great lines. But, I "really LOVE', more........... the newer "Ridge Lines" by AirFlo.
I've "tried a couple lines" in 40 years at this and I've yet to play a fly line that can cast, mend, roll cast, or unfurl a leader like the new AirFlo Ridge Lines can. I own a few 4/WF/F and 5/WF/F, and, 2 that are not available yet, to the public. They also pick up far less, stream and lake "debris" than any other line I've ever fished.
"Double Taper" and "Weight Forward" is something you may want to make the decision on, yourself, of course. I like the WF, because of where "I" fish, as opposed to where "you" might fish. Our rivers, here in the Great Northwest, are usually wilder, windier and bigger, than those of the East, so it's very often necessary to use a a more "wind punching line", like a WF, instead of a more "delicate" presentation of the DT.
And, as I said to begin with................... all of this is ONLY, my own opinions!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm glad you brought up the AirFlo Ridgeline FLYBINDER. I think that their concept sounds very logical but have never heard any feedback regarding their product. I have hemmed and hawwed, come close to purchasing their WF4 line but wanted some feedback. It sounds as though you stand behind this product? I'm current using an Orvis Wonderline Gen 3 which is OK, but I'd like to switch to something new. Any thoughts?

Well, Raven, the only way I can answer that, is to say what I'd said before, I suppose................
"I've fished an awful lot of fly lines in my years chasing fish with a flimsy stick and when I first was given a Ridgeline to try out, I was sold and awed on my fist cast.
If you've read about them, then your sure to know the reason and design as to why these lines are so different and cast so much farther, with less effort.
One problem that has always plagued me, especially in lake fishing, was the "crud built up factor" on my fly lines, has also been eliminated by this new design in lines...........
With the "slits" in the line running the length of the line, I would THINK, they would catch 3 times, the amount of algae and water born debris, but actually I found that "when the line flexes, on load", these same "slits" are really at their "maximum opening" and thus dump 90% or more of whatever they've collected.
Again, it's ONLY my OWN opinion as any post, in here, is. But, I DO really like these lines, for the way they perform!
I have a WF4/F in yellow and one in the original green. They came pre-looped, (good, or bad, depending on how you feel about "loop to loop connections"!?), on each end.
Like, I'd also mentioned, I dearly like the 555 Rocket Taper lines, by Cortland, as well. But, given a choice, only for me? I'd choose the Ridgeline.

I went to the orvis store and cabelas and then the orvis store today. I bought the orvis battenkill barstock reel. I got the 8'6" 4wt. from cabelas, but the ridgeline was out of stock. I then returned to orvis on the way home and bought wonderline generation 3. Now all I need is to try it out.

Good!
Too bad, on not getting to try the Ridgeline, but maybe next time!??
The 8-6 4wt, should make a great, little, trouting rod and those barstocks are very nice reels. I have a couple and really am impressed for the money!
Now, as you mentioned........Get out and FISH!

Took the new gear for a test run. It was nice, the 4 weight felt a little more appropriate compared to valley creek.

You got the bug...Good luck with keeping a savings account!!!

FlyBinder can tell you, I was hifalutin and all lawyered up before I got into fly fishing, now I'm poor, smell like head cement and stream water and I am covered in clippings of fur, tippet and feathers.

On a serious note, I think you picked a good set-up and Valley is a beautiful little stream, Enjoy and maybe I'll see you on the water some day.

Bob

Back