Cabelas C.G.R. 359-3

grouse11

grouse11

I know that these rods have been discussed a couple of times already but I just received mine and figured I would voice my opinion.

After fishing for native brookies for the first time, I decided that I wanted a shorter and more sensitive rod. The rod that I was using is a 7' 4wt which is plenty short but I really wanted something that made the fish feel like more than creek chubs when hooked.

I settled on the 5'9" 3wt Cabelas 50th anniversary CGR rod. It arrived today and I decided to take it to a friend's farm pond to catch bluegills and possibly a bass. The pond is probably an acre big and has a dock that goes almost to the middle.

The first thing I did was tie on a fly and try casting. I am not sure what the brand of line i'm using is because I got it from my grandfather on a reel but I do know that it is a 4wt WF floating line. I found that 30' casts were no problem at all and took little effort. 45' casts were not too difficult either. I am sure that further casts could be made but I was eager to see how the fish made the rod bend.

This pond is filled with some of the biggest panfish I have ever seen. These things fight harder that a lot of the bass in the pond and were really making the rod bend. I loved the sensitivity of the fiberglass rod. I then threw on a popper and caught about a 12" bass.

All in all, I find this to be a great rod. It will be nice while moving through the thick brush surrounding brookie streams and should make the fish feel a good bit bigger.

ymmv.

i wouldn't wish this on any one who fishes tight little troot streams. its perfectly ideal for flipping 14 poppers to panfishes, though.

its also not a 4wt. its an atrocious 4wt. its not even a "half size heavier" 3wt.

Back