Boa lacing system experiences

salmonoid

salmonoid

For those who own boots with Boa lacing systems, how are they holding up? I have looked at new wading boots with this system, with some suspicion; innovation and change are good, but something always seemed to be less than trustworthy to me with this setup. Nevertheless, I bit on a pair of Korkers Chrome boots; for the price I paid, if I get two years out of them, I'd be doing well.

The problem is that I didn't even get one try on out of them. I bought them online and received them today. I put one boot on, after I figured out how to loosen the wire by pulling out the dial. I then put the left boot on, and began to tighten it. Next thing I knew, I'm holding the dial in my hand, with an unwound spool springing around. There's no way to fix it without completely replacing the boot, because the post that the dial screws into is broken off at the base.

Boa offers free replacement parts; however, I don't think they will be offering me a new left boot :) I submitted the info to Korkers to activate my warranty and will see how long that takes to happen and how their customer service is.

Any other horror stories out there with Boa lacing systems? I hope my initial concern wasn't a self-fulfilling prophesy, but how am I supposed to trust what appears to be a cheap piece of plastic to keep my boots tight, when it breaks in the relatively clean and safe environment of my living room???

Being somewhat mechanically inclined, I'm wondering if the internal spool didn't have a defect. On the photo to the left, the spool has what appears to be a nick in it, which the wire was caught on. Perhaps the wire getting caught on this then created undue stress on the post, causing it to snap?

Attachments

• IMAG28001.jpg
    IMAG28001.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 25
I love my boa boots. I have the ones from simms, and havnt had any problems. If i had some advice id buy the repair kit they sell. Make sure after a few trips to take apart the boa and clean out the sand and grit because that'll kill ya. -Kev

Own the Simms Rivertek, purchased them about a month ago. Have used them one weekend on the SR. No problems, but I had hesitations purchasing them. After talking with my buddy at TCO, he advised me to purchase a new set of the wires in case something happened on stream. He said they are easier then lacing boot laces. Hopefully I never have to fix them.

I have been using the Korker Metalhead for about 4 months and love everything about them. I have not experienced any problems with sand and grit primarily because the neoprene gravel guards on my waders covers the mechanism.

I have the Simms boa for about a year now. So far I've had one lace snap and the other is going. Called Simms and they sent new laces. Love the ease of them but sort of a hassle.

Just tie the darn laces.

I bought a pair online not long ago. It seemed like a pretty good idea.
But, after I tried them on, I didn't think they would work too well - and sent them back

Love my Korker Metalheads. They are about 9 months old and still working well. I especially like that the boa laces don't stretch when they get wet.

I find it very discouraging that you guys are having those kind of issues and it is being suggested to carry spare parts on the stream for boot repair. I guess I never thought about the internal mechanism being plastic but now it's pretty obvious. I have the Simms RiverTec BOA. I bought them a size larger for winter fishing with lots of socks as the Simms boots in my normal size kills my circulation. I have only worn the RiverTek BOA 10 times or so this year but they have performed well. If you looking for a tight fitting boot the BOA system is not for you imo. I subsequently purchased a pair of Simms Rivershed with traditional laces which I really, really like.

Lonewolve wrote:
Just tie the darn laces.

I didn't buy the boots because of the lacing system; I bought them in spite of the lacing system, because they were lightweight, appear to be well made, and hopefully built to last, plus they received good reviews.

Regarding the comments about carrying an extra lace, given the design of the Boa system, its not a horrible idea to have spare parts. Its definitely not unheard of for traditional laces to fail; however, its also not necessary to carry a spare pair of traditional boot laces, because you can just knot the ripped laces together. I've done this many times, although I'm amazed that boot manufacturers don't select quality laces that won't rot, given the environment that the manufacturers know the boots will be worn in. I'd gladly pay three dollars more for a boot if it meant I didn't have to tie a knot one day when cinching up my laces and the lace rips.

Now, if the reason for carrying a spare Boa lace is because they have a higher propensity for failure, then that is cause for concern. If its simply because its impossible to perform a field repair without replacing parts, its not unreasonable.

I'm not having good luck with wading boots; my last/current pair have now completely blown out in the back. A pair of Orvis Riverguards that I just picked up already lost two studs, after only two trips and are the smallest size 11 boots I've worn (despite allegedly being sized with waders and wool socks in mind). Orvis' response was for me to try and return them to the place I purchased them from, instead of offering to repair or replace them.

When regular laces fail, they can easily be tied back together on the stream. I've done it many times.
I was concerned about a boa lace failing and ending my fishing for the day until it's repaired

Dear Board,

While the BOA system seems intriguing it also appears to be drastically over-engineered and rather poorly designed if spare parts are a suggested item in your fishing kit?

It's pretty hard to screw up a doubled "bunny ears" knot, and like others have said in the event of failure broken laces can be readily fixed astream.

I'll pass on the BOA system and anxiously wait to see what will they improve next? ;-)

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Just wondering why nobody offers a wading boot with a zipper instead of laces. The BOA system would not be for me, I hate to have equipment failures on the job..........

Biggie wrote:
Just wondering why nobody offers a wading boot with a zipper instead of laces. The BOA system would not be for me, I hate to have equipment failures on the job..........

Several boot manufacturers started offering boots with zippers on the sides about 8-10 years ago. I never tried them. But if I remember correctly, they still had laces on them. I guess the idea was that once you had the laces tied to fit your foot right - you could leave them that way, and just use the zippers to put them on and off.
Can't recall seeing them lately though

dryflyguy wrote:
Biggie wrote:

Several boot manufacturers started offering boots with zippers on the sides about 8-10 years ago. I never tried them. But if I remember correctly, they still had laces on them. I guess the idea was that once you had the laces tied to fit your foot right - you could leave them that way, and just use the zippers to put them on and off.
Can't recall seeing them lately though

Dear Biggie and others,

Try Orvis

http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=2E0C&dir_id=758&group_id=11059&cat_id=5421&subcat_id=10664

I have never tried them so I won't vouch for them.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

I had the Korkers Metalheads for a little over a year and had nothing but problems with them. I ended up buying a pair of Simms Freestones and love them.

I wouldn't say the fishing was over for the day when the lace snapped. I trekked miles even after it broke. It's extremely convent when it's not broken. And if you don't have extra buy a para cord bracelet or I have a paracord knife and make a quick lace.

IdratherbePhishing wrote:
I wouldn't say the fishing was over for the day when the lace snapped. I trekked miles even after it broke. It's extremely convent when it's not broken. And if you don't have extra buy a para cord bracelet or I have a paracord knife and make a quick lace.

Dear Idratherbe,

Wow, with that ringing endorsement you should sell them things on an infomercial.

Just one question though, isn't everything that isn't broken pretty much convenient, or are wading shoes the only thing you should pay more for and expect less from?

On the plus side at least you didn't have to carry a rebuild kit, you had special cord and a special knife handy to spare you extreme difficulty of a square knot.

Plain old laces will always work.

Regards,

Tim Murphy ;-)

I owned a pair of Simms Rivertek Boas and had the laces snap 3 times in a year... which along with the stitching coming apart I decided to send them in to be replaced by Simms free of charge with a pair of Guide Boots. The wire laces are a pain to change out yourself, especially streamside. I would not purchase these boots and would probably go with another pair of more traditional boots.

Back