BOA Boot lacing system

gulfgreyhound

gulfgreyhound

Anyone have comments about this system? Pro, Con. Thinking about getting Simms or Korkers with this system. Santa was good to me. GG :)

Meh, I have had a pair for about a year and a half. Both laces have broke on me once, which may not be a lot, but are a pain when it happens on stream. Regular laces you can finagle to make work. These you can't. The wire also cuts into part of the boot at times. I dunno. Not a huge fan. I might try the new set up with the wire running up the side of the boot instead of on top like regular laces. Also, make sure when you purchase the boots you buy 2 sets of laces right away, because if they break and you are no where near a shop that sells replacements, you might be out of commission for awhile untill you can get to a shop or an order online arrives

GG,
I have the simms boa boots. So far, I've had no problem with them. I've had them for almost 2 years now, and no complaints. If you do fish streams with lots of sand, like the Letort, the sand can build up in the knob at the top that you twist to tighten. Fishing a spring creek on long island i had my boots bind up with sand. Just undo the knob, and rinse out. Also, if you do pick up the boots, get the replacement kit. And also, you MUST hold onto the little key they give you. Otherwise you cant get the knob off.- Kev

An overly elaborate fix for a problem that doesn't exist.

PennKev wrote:

I believe you mispelt both "convienent" and "awesome" in your sentence.

They do cut slightly into the boot, but I not in a way I find remotely compelling to care about. Mine haven't broken yet, but buying a spare is a pretty fine idea.

IIRC, skiiers have had tehse things for some time now, so clearly they've found a niche. I wonder if its possible to just buy a spare set of wires in a Dick's or otehr outdoorsy store.

edit: GG, without being disrespectful (this time), I know you're an older guy. I would think that the ease at which these tighten up and losen might make it easier on you at the end of the day (and beginning) when you take them off. YMMV.

gfen wrote:
PennKev wrote:

I believe you mispelt both "convienent" and "awesome" in your sentence.

They do cut slightly into the boot, but I not in a way I find remotely compelling to care about. Mine haven't broken yet, but buying a spare is a pretty fine idea.

IIRC, skiiers have had tehse things for some time now, so clearly they've found a niche. I wonder if its possible to just buy a spare set of wires in a Dick's or otehr outdoorsy store.

edit: GG, without being disrespectful (this time), I know you're an older guy. I would think that the ease at which these tighten up and losen might make it easier on you at the end of the day (and beginning) when you take them off. YMMV.

Gfen,your a mind reader. Age has gotten me less flexable and the artifical knee is great, but I can't kneel down so I'm looking for any help I can get.
So Simms or Korkers is the next question?
Thanks all. GG

LL Bean?

I own the LL Bean version. I had my first pair replaced after a year due to a minor quibble about some stiching coming out. The second pair has a year on them, now, and are in fine shape.

Obviously, you're not getting local service if that's the case. On the other hand, if you hate them then returns are easy. Not sure if they charge return shipping, though.

Cabelas gift card. I'm really thinking Simms. GG

I tested the Simms version last Fall when they were in prototype. I really liked the "boot". I was less fond of the BOA system. It did fail on me after about 6 8 hr days. Becker nailed it, if you are going to go this route buy another BOA system and keep it with you, particularly on any destination trips.

I did have the Korker version BOA (the first that I knew of) back in like 2006-2007. I got about 3 good years out of them before any issue and even then the BOA system was still in tact.

Love them. After a bit of fishing I always need to tighten up my boots a bit... with the Boa's it's a simple matter of giving them a few clicks. Easy on easy off.

Plus the sound of wet laces is worse than nails on a chalk board.

PennKev wrote:

unless your hip goes bad and you can't bend your leg up (or torso down) far enough to tie your laces.

I have them on my Korkers and have no complains after 2 years. Having read about other's difficulty with breakage, I intend to order a spare just in case.

I notice everyone who's complained of breakage has owned the Simms.

Can we get the resident SIMMS shills in here to tell us why that's not the case, please?

Im an unabashed Simms shill, basically a stark raving fan boy....

I have the Simms Boa boot. 4 seasons, no issues. I replaced both the "laces" this past season very simply. I use BOA snowboarding as well, again never with an issue. I had more issues with the screw in tungston cleats than the BOA.

That being said, I know some people just abuse equipment. I fish and hunt with these folks and it seems like the same dudes are always tearing their waders or busting their boots or rods. Its always the same dudes too. I dont get it as we all are hunting and fishing the same places. But if thats you, then laces are probably best, and good news....Simms sells laced boots too!

:)

Went for the Korkers. Being able to swap soles was a plus. GG

Why do you want them? If you are getting them because they are easier to put on and take off then they are good. There is some small maintenance to them, but not much. I have had the Korkers for 2 years now and have had no issues. I love them because I dont have to bend over as long to tie them. They are also easy to take off. Seems like it is easier and quicker to get in and out of them.

Ease of getting them on and off is the reason. GG

I've had them for a few seasons (Simms). I like them a lot. They do a nice job holding tight, and dont tend to get caught in subsurface vegetation. It's more efficient, and has on the water benefits. In my opinion, worth it.

I do intend to buy a replacement kit, purely as a just in case. It occured to me that I carry a wader repair kit and dont have a fix for these (aside from duct tape), in case they break (have not had that happen yet).

I just picked up the Simms G4 BOA and so far love them! This is my first experience w/ BOA in a wading boot, but I've had them in golf shoes before. The concern seems to be the wire breaking while on stream. In my experience with them the wire does not just simply break one day, it first starts to fray. If you pay attention to your gear you should see this coming before it actually fails. I wore the shoes hard for 2 years...40-50 rds a year before replacing the wire and it was only on 1 shoe. I carry the tool and extra wire just to be safe though. Very easy to change only takes about 5 min. Plus if it does give out you probably have a gravel guard around the boot which should hold it on fine till you replace the wire.

I've got mine on two different LL Bean models. I love them! Putting waders on and taking them off is amazingly quick.

However-they are also the system most likely to fail. Luckily I can send mine back any time. The waders seem to work fine enough even if you forget to do 'em up, also

Back