Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Best waterproof shell jackets

Hey guys:
Here's my situation. I have a cabelas 3 in 1 jacket and the outside shell is wearing out. Its an xxl tall. I want a shell to replace my old one. I'm a big man @ 6'4" and I want something long enough to cover my butt that would also allow some room for layering. I was looking @ the Patagonia torrentshell parka. Does anyone have any other suggestions?
Thanks guys!

Posted on: 2012/7/20 15:59

Re: Best waterproof shell jackets

From bucks county
if you want a warmer one the north face TNF appex bionic jacket is nice. not sure if it comes in your size, im a good deal shorter than you.

Posted on: 2012/7/20 16:16

From Bucks County
I would stick with shell only and layer as needed.

Patagonia is having a rediculous sale online right now, which includes the jacket you are looking at.

http://www.patagonia.com/us/shop/web- ... -hard-shell?k=1D-6z-bb-ga

I have used there stuff for years, it the best in the business, and when you can get it cheaper, it's even better. The sizes can run out quick when they run sales, but looks like they still have large sizes available in most.

Posted on: 2012/7/20 23:15

From Southeastern Pa
I have a Loop Opti 3L wading jacket and it's awesome! keeps me super dry and has all the features necessary for staying that way. very comfortable and good fit.

Posted on: 2012/7/22 22:02

From Southwest PA
+1 on what Tim said. Awesome Jacket!!

Posted on: 2012/7/23 16:18

From harlansburg
Quote:

jonathan2340 wrote:
I have never wear water proof shell jackets so i have no experience about these jackets. I have only weared leather jackets such as leather bomber jackets, leather biker jackets. If you want to look fashionable and a fashion icon you just need to wear leather cloths such as jackets, blazers, skirts, pants etc. You can buy all these leather outfits online from leatherorbit.com at great discount. Buy all these outfits today to get trendy look and become fashione icon in this fashion industry.

??????????????????????????

there you go, get trendy look and become fashione icon while fishing in leather jacket!!LOL!!!!!

seriously, I have an LLbean wading jacket, under 100 bucks, waterproof as can be. I also have patagonia stuff, but the llbean jacket gets the most use. BUT, I'm probably gonna get rid of it all and start wearing my old motorcycle leathers while I fish!!

Posted on: 2012/8/28 7:04

get something fishing specfic... not a random TNF or Patagonia Jacket

they will fall apart under normal fishing condiditons

Posted on: 2012/8/28 8:21

I found a review of waterproof rain jackets the other day. The reviewer's Best Buy pick was the Marmot PreClip

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-everyday-rain-jacket/

LL Bean also got high marks.

I'm in the market for one, too, and I like the LL Bean Stowaway jacket, for features the Marmot doesn't have, like the pockets. It gets rave reviews from the customers on the LL Bean site. I'll probably get that one.

Posted on: 2012/8/28 16:12

the marmot pre-cip jackets are junk!

any "real" use and wear the membrane cracks and de-lams
if seen it happen to 4 of them

Posted on: 2012/8/28 16:53

well, so much for that.

Sort of exposes the limitations of a review site staffed by one person. Especially one that purports to review all kinds of gear instead of sticking to a specialty, like Wirecutter.

fwiw, I found a seam separation problem with a Marmot ultralight pack that I picked up used. What are they using- the same glue as Post-it notes?

Posted on: 2012/8/28 17:19

From Clearfield
If all you want is a bombproof shell then look outside the fly fishing box......(if you want a fishing jacket then stick with the obvious)....
websites like backcountry.com and ski.com can have some good deals on closeout shells from last season that might be worth checking out. And your unique size may still be available.

I fish with a cloudveil shadow peak shell in the winter or pouring rain. Its a backcountry ski/mountaineering jacket but it is bombproof so I can live with the fact that the pockets are ideal for fly fishing.

Either way I believe in paying the extra for gortex if you want it to last. Not many other companies proprietary membrane has the years or sample size to compare it to gortex (though I have heard good things about polartecs waterproof/breathable membrane).

Posted on: 2012/8/28 20:45

From Cato, NY
I have this jacket from Columbia and for the price it is hard to beat. very waterproof as well.

http://www.altrec.com/columbia/mens-o ... ad=8968938537&mr:keyword={keyword}&gclid=CJ-Ky86xj7ICFYSo4AodniQALg

Posted on: 2012/8/30 8:50

From california, USA
There are lots of water proof jackets for you to avoid rain. You can wear leather jackets instead of other types of jackets like water proof jackets and all that. There are lots of leather outfits like leather vests, leather coats, leather pants, leather skirts, leather blazers etc. Just avoid leather outfits from water and then you will see you a true fashionista. Buy all these leather outfits online from http://www.leatherarena.com/

Posted on: 2013/1/22 9:17

From Clinton County, Pa.
Mods, can we get this guy off our site. His first post from Ca. and he is pushing leatherwear for flyfishing. What a joke. Leather skirts for flyfishing? Obviously not a flyfisherman.

Posted on: 2013/1/22 10:45

From Patterson twp, Pa (Beaver Falls)
Leather skirts! Just picture Squatch in one of those!

Posted on: 2013/1/22 12:16

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com