Best Fishing Vechicle

Bruno

Bruno

I am in the market for a used Vechicle. Considering the gas prices lately I am finding that having a SUV is getting a tad bit expensive to drive.

I was wondering if you all have any suggestions on a good reliable vehicle that can do:

1. Carry a Kayak

2. Gets at least 25 mi to the gallon

3. Can Hold Two Big dogs and a baby

4. Hopefull can accodimate a fully strung up rod

5. Has decent ground clearence.

Best fishing vehicle I ever had wa my 4-door, square, old style Jeep cherokee. I had a 2-wheel drive pick up I liked more but I was single then. Jeep had a roof rack..6-cylinder, good sized gas tank and would go just about anywhere. I think I got about 175,000 miles out of it before my wife made me trade it in for the mini van.

Something like this....

http://tinyurl.com/krwcc

I agree with(Tomgamber) I also owned a Jeep Cherokee, fine hunting & fishing ride. Gas mileage some were in the 20ies

JAD

Quote:

Bruno wrote:
I am in the market for a used Vechicle. Considering the gas prices lately I am finding that having a SUV is getting a tad bit expensive to drive.

I was wondering if you all have any suggestions on a good reliable vehicle that can do:

1. Carry a Kayak

2. Gets at least 25 mi to the gallon

3. Can Hold Two Big dogs and a baby

4. Hopefull can accodimate a fully strung up rod

5. Has decent ground clearence.

Dear Bruno,

That's a pretty tall order to fill, are you hoping that it's free as well? :)

Seriously, a Jeep Cherokee with the 4.0L 6 cylinder engine will get you close to 20 MPG on the highway and assuming it was well cared for prior to you taking possession should last for many more miles if you continue the maintenance. I sold a square one with 150,000 on it that is still going strong and a buddy of mine put over 200,000 on his 1999 Grand Cherokee with no real problems.

One thing I would like to suggest is that you consider the costs of a second vehicle against the potential savings in gas. Let's say you find a nice clean used vehicle for $ 6000.00 that meets your needs. That may be a stretch but bear with me. At the present gas prices you could purchase over 2200 gallons of gasoline for same $ 6000.00. At 15 MPG that will give you well over 30,000 miles worth of gasoline using $ 2.75 as the price of gas.

You must also figure on insuring and maintaining a second vehicle. Conservatively when you figure those costs for 4 years you will wind up spending well over 40,000 miles worth of gasoline figuring on $ 500.00 a year for insurance and maintenance in addition to the purchase price. When you consider the cost of tires, brakes, and shocks, etc that $ 500.00 a year is ridiculously low, the real number is more like $ 1000.00 a year, or 10 cents a mile. Do you see where I am going with this?

Do you really think you can drive your way to monetary savings? I'm not trying to tell you how to spend your money, but I am saying that you will probably not save any money over time by owning a second vehicle and you will more likely wind up spending more money. Just something to think about, so take it as you see fit.

Regards,
Tim Murphy :)

I have never owned one, and it's not for me, but how about a Subaru Outback wagon. It's 4 wheel drive, small V-6, plenty of interior room, and could probably hold a fully strung rod. Plus, with the idea of transporting a small child, it wouldn't roll like an SUV.

Looking at those parameters I'd say a Subaru Outback. My wife has one that is great around town and I used one for a week as a rental car on a fishing trip recently. It's not big but I could still cram 4 big duffels and 3 styro coolers in the back. The buggers long enough to fit your 9' rods strung up through the vehicle. The AWD does well in the mud. A nice low lift for a canoe or kayak.

But still, I prefer an SUV. My favorite all timer was a 1989 Isuzu Trooper that had begun to take on that wonderful beer/cigar/campfire/neoprene/wet dog smell. Dang I miss that thing! My Tahoe has more room but its a bit refined.

What did Gierach always talk about in his book. Oh yeah, a black and white Ambler wagon. The "R" fell off.

RustyRat wrote:
....What did Gierach always talk about in his book. Oh yeah, a black and white Ambler wagon. The "R" fell off.

Reminds me of my car: I call it "BU CK." The "I" fell off.

I know I suggested the outback.
I drive a 2-door Blazer, because I rarely have a passenger, but a 4-door Blazer is inexpensive and gets low 20's on the highway. So what you save in cost could pay for the small amount of extra gas (about $1.50 per tank). My two fits my 8'6'' fine, and would fit a 9' in the middle of the seats; so a 4-door would definately hold a 9'.
A Trailblazer has an in-line 6 and about 270 horse power, is garrenteed not to role, and gets mid 20's for gas.

Hey Murph...You forgot to factor in the absolute abuse and use on your ONE vehicle. I don't have a second vehicle and my mechanic always seems to know when i've been up to camp...

I have Cherokee Sport and I'd say you are going to fall a wee short of of 25mpg. Probably somewhere between 20 and 25.

I was thinking that a little hatchback station wagon would do all the things you need and get decent mileage. My thinking is, that if you are driving a couple hours, it's better to have a vehicle that can take care of the 90 miles up to the last 3. You can hike that last 3 miles. If you can't afford the 90 you won't have the opportunity.

take a look at the astro/safari vans, very dependable. 2 wd. get around 20 mpg. the awd's get around 16 stock, mine dropped from the large tires but will be getting 20 after a gear change.lots of room, will hold a 9'6" rod inside..plenty of room inside. they handle great. :)

Thanks for the input. I ended the search with an Outback

Bruno, did your ride die?
I have a beat up jeep. I love it. The largest pro jeep factor that was left out is the fact that they are cheap. You can pick up a good condition cherokee for much less than any competitor.

The 4runner is dtill kickin. My wife decided that she finally need a car of her own. When the runner dies it will become mine

That would be a tui, typing under the influence.

God created beer because he loves us and wants us to be happy.

A dozen whooly buggers/ caddis to whomever names the person who said that.

PM your addy

Bruno wrote:

A dozen wooly buggers/ caddis to whomever names the person who said that.

PM your addy

George Carlin? You can send the flies to one of the charities that Pad mentions in the Announcements forum.

If I am wrong...send them anyway. :pint:

I will do that. !! You are incorrect

Bruno wrote:

A dozen whooly buggers/ caddis to whomever names the person who said that.

PM your addy

Benjamin Franklin

I just finished a biography on the guy, although the quote wasn't covered. You can send the flies to the Rivers School.

Padraic

I decided to explore beer quotes on the site Padraic linked and found a few more:

“People who drink light "beer" don't like the taste of beer; they just like to pee a lot”
-- Anon.

“And the bartender says to Renee Descartes, 'Another beer?' And Descartes says, 'I think not,' and disappears”
-- Alfred Bester

“You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer”
-- Frank Zappa

WC Fields...of course, you have to rememeber that he'd rahter be in Philadelphia....

Oh no wait..Fields said..."A man's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another drink"

Franklin is correct...I think for the jam next year...John F should dress up like fields and Merle as Big Ben Franklin!!!! :lol:

Back