Bass Pro Shop

bdfish

bdfish

Anyone have any experience with the BPS Brand fly rods? I will be purchasing an 8wt for Salmon/Steelhead. Since I am only going to use it 1 or 2 times a year, and have 85 bucks in gift cards I was leaning in that direction-in the $100 range.

Thanks.

bdfish,

I was just there this past weekend, and for that price range you could get a TFO which I hear are pretty decent rods.

Yeah, they seem decent. I will have to head down to the store and check them out too.

I have a white river rod, but mine is a 3wt, so it's not exactly comparable, but so far I like it a lot. I'm not sure how they compare but my steelhead rod is an $85 Cabelas rod and that thing has held up real well.

I don't think you need to spend a lot on a steelhead rod. Maybe the reel, but not the rod. If this is mostly for steelhead you may want to go for a 7 weight. I fish a Gander Mountain Guide Series 6 weight rod for steelhead, and it works just fine. I do occasionally wish for the extra landing power of a 7 weight. I have not fished for salmon.

It will be used for salmon for sure. Pulaski in October. I caught a a couple and one pretty big one on a spinning rod last year and I think an 8 wt. is what is probably needed for them, but I would like to go for steelhead too, I have just never gone yet. I don't want to spend alot, my girlfriend already knows what I spent on my trout rod. I would like to get another Sage but I can't explain that to her, she would kill me.

Back