bamboo = trout grass

mcfinn

mcfinn

In case anybody missed church last week/month/year, i think watching this short documentary might keep the spiritual stuff covered for a while...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKE-6GsZBZg

Nice!!

Great video. I'm going to a class this summer with Wyatt Deitrich of Dreamcatcher Rods. I see this as something I want to get into on a small scale when I retire next year.

Word of the day: Bug Puppet.

just_jon:

The fact that a person with a little knowledge can build a rod from bamboo on their kitchen table, so to speak, is one of the cool things about it.

Not saying it would be a great fly rod but it would be a fishable rod. Making one along side someone who knows what they are doing, of course, would cut the learning curve considerably, I'm sure.

Shock

Very Cool, Thanks for sharing. Had it with a cold beer.

Made my day after working in our vegetable garden all day.

Eric

Gotta say when I saw it was 47 min. long I didn't expect to watch it all. I'm not a boo guy but that was truly interesting, made me want one for a minute.

Gotta watch that later, need some insperation to get back to my bamboo project.

glad to hear some positive feedback, thanks dudes. while i lack the bamboo rod makers' patience (and also the focus, drive, skill, tools, vision and herculian attention to detail) i really enjoy watching this kind of stuff that showcases folks who really love what they do. one thing i'vd learned in life is that eventually it is tough to suck at something that you love. rock on, bug puppets... rock on.

That was a great video, I have done a lot of research on building a bamboo rod on the net and this is the first video I have seen with this information. Thank you for posting it.
For those interested in making their own bamboo rod, you may want to spend some time on the rod building forum, http://www.rodbuildingforum.com/. There is a lot of good information there about building rods and lots of links to supplies also.
I built a boo rod a year ago, but I didn't do it from scratch. I ordered a blank from a guy on the rod building forum. It came with my choice of finish on it, and the ferrels installed. I had to do the rest of the work. Since I have built several graphite rods it wasn't all that hard to finish up a bamboo but it did require me to do somethings that I didn't have to do with the graphite rod blanks.
All in all it is a nice 7 1/2' 4 wt rod. I just hope I can get out more this year and give is a good workout. If nothing else I till get used to tease some blue gills and other pan fish.
Sam

Great video thanks for sharing. My first fly rod was an old bamboo rod I found and the addict and refurbished to a fishable condition. I used it to catch my first trout on a fly rod. I built graphite rods and hope, one day, to build a bamboo rod.

Don

The bug puppet part was so great I had to write it down...here it is:

Thomas McGuane has many important things to get done in a day. Yet all he's doing this day, strange to say, is building make believe creatures. Tiny puppets really. Bug puppets. This fully grown very busy man intends to perform some puppet theatre, but not for people. Tom's audience will consist of fish. If he and his cane rod can send a bug puppet dancing down river realistically enough, a trout in his audience, might think the puppet's real, and eat it. Tom will then scare the living bejesus out of the fish by fighting it in to his hands, only to thank it, and set it free. The chief result of this bizarre transaction will be a very confused trout skulking on the bottom, wonder how the hell a tiny insect managed to beat the crap out of it, but forever grateful to that nice McGuane fellow for freeing it from that evil bug.

- David James Duncan

being a struggling crafter i love seeing the building. i take the love of cane on faith. i ordered a blank from george maurer many years ago. he didnt build it, he imported some i think. i made the finishd rod. heavy as a telepole, whippy as a noodle. its in the rafters, the expense haunts me but after trying i find it unusable. the rods shown in the video are way to whippy for me. one guy could not uncurl a backcast. but, i take on faith that theres something there beyond my ability to comprehand. a cane rod is right up there with a guitar as a thing thats just pleasing to hold.

Back