Anyone Used the TALS Fly Fishing System?

F

FNG_IN_AK

I've been looking to get my 84-y/o father out of his old fly vest and into something more convenient for his forays to his favorite Westmoreland and Somerset County streams. My Dad's eyesight and coordination are still good, but I think he really could use something compact that he can work on, to his front, rather than to his sides and waist.

I saw this: http://www.tals-fishing.com/TALS-600.cfm, online, and wondered if anyone has any experience with it? Utility, Ease of use, Durability...that sort of thing. The company is located in Turbotville, in Northumberland Co., so I'm hoping that someone here has some insight on it.

Thanks much.

Mike

not yet but will contacting them in the next few weeks.

I have the TALS - 500 for my smallie chest pack. I am embarrassed to say I paid more 12 years ago for it than what it sells for today. It is perfect for holding trebbled plugs and buzz baits.

Int to sure how it would translate to a fly pack but it is cheap for a chest pack and you could always rip out the fly holders and use it for plugs.

I think it sold for $50 back then and I got it for $30 from a bait shop going out of business.

Anyway, its worth a shot for the money.

Dear FNG_IN_AK,

I have no experience with the TALS system but I appreciate you posting the link because I'm pretty sure I'll be buying one for wade spin fishing.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Maurice wrote:
I have the TALS - 500 for my smallie chest pack. I am embarrassed to say I paid more 12 years ago for it than what it sells for today. It is perfect for holding trebbled plugs and buzz baits.

Int to sure how it would translate to a fly pack but it is cheap for a chest pack and you could always rip out the fly holders and use it for plugs.

I think it sold for $50 back then and I got it for $30 from a bait shop going out of business.

Anyway, its worth a shot for the money.

Maurice:

I think you've nailed the essence of the thing right there. It's not like investing $100+ in a Simms or Fishpond version to see if he can use it effectively. For the price, I'll just send him one on the supposition that it'll work. Heck, I think I'll get one for myself, too -- looks like it might be real handy for float tubing.

Thank you.

Mike

TimMurphy wrote:
Dear FNG_IN_AK,

I have no experience with the TALS system but I appreciate you posting the link because I'm pretty sure I'll be buying one for wade spin fishing.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Tim:

Will be interested to hear what you and Sandfly think of this system, when you get them. I'll be ordering one for myself, for float tubing -- but that test drive might have to wait until next season. There's "Termination Dust" on the mountains in the east of the city, and it's already getting a bit brisk to be submerging half of my body.

Best.

Mike

That's definitely a neat system!

When I ordered my TALS 600 system, I figured I'd have to wait until spring to test drive it, since an early snowfall already had topped the mountains in the east of town, and even dusted the bottoms with an inch or so. But, things stabilized, the snow retreated above 1500’, and I got to take the TALS to a couple of streams. So far, I’m pretty impressed.

It’s light, and it’s compact enough that it doesn’t impede casting or other movement – including sneaking/crashing through brush. It doesn’t hold anywhere near as much as my Simms waist pack, but it carries plenty for an average day of fishing. The dry fly tubes each hold a couple dozen flies and have lots of room above the hook – so hackle doesn’t get crushed. I can get at my dries and nymphs pretty easily – especially if I use forceps to remove and replace them (which I usually do anyway). I tend to fish a lot of big streamer-type patterns, including “mouse” flies, so I’ll probably order another couple of streamer tubes. I like the flip-down workspace, with elastic for basic streamside tools; I’ve never had one before, and it’s pretty handy. Will probably be even handier in my float tube, come next spring. There’s room for a small fly box, a couple spools of tippet, some floatant, and a few tools in the front pouch.

My dad hasn’t used his yet, but I bet I he’s gonna be real happy, too.

This probably won't last as long as my Simms, or some of the other high-end waist/chest packs, but for the price, I think it's a going to be a very good investment.

Back