Anyone Have Experience with Online Company "Fishing Fly Box"?

MD_Gene

MD_Gene

Anyone buy flies or anything from Fishing Fly Box? It looks legit but if you buy 48 flies they are .39 each! More than a few years ago I ran into "Fly Guys" and they were a rip-off group.

Thanks in advance for any insights.

Google is your friend........found this:

http://flyfishingsite.wordpress.com/2013/02/11/fishing-fly-box/

Just one review and not the end-all for the company, but I would be cautious to buy any flies from any company for that price.

A decent quality hook and materials alone would cost close to that price.

Yes these flies suck at best don't waste your time or money. Fortunately I received the flies but wish I hadn't.

If you're willing to take a dozen at a time, and can live with the inventory (style and size) they have on hand, Sierra Trading Post is a place that you can pick up flies for as cheap as 36.5 cents a piece ($4.38/dozen). If the flies are on sale and you have one of their 45% off codes, that's where the price lands. So far, my only disappointment was some size "6" cicada flies, which were more like 1/0. They will still work for a big winged night bug, just not a normal sized daytime cicada. My wife can attest that my fly boxes are now full, thanks to STP, and at that price, I've been able to pick up a few saltwater or other non-typical flies to throw into my freshwater arsenal. I agree with afishinado that the components alone will cost that much, and I can't justify tying some of the more complex patterns, when I can buy them for less than the components alone (and that assumes that my time is donated as a labor of love). The only downside that I see is that I now have a dozen of some of the non-typical flies to store, where probably two would suffice. But hopefully I can catch fish on some of them and they will become go-to flies.

You get what you pay for, generic flies made with cheap materials.

salmonoid wrote:
If you're willing to take a dozen at a time, and can live with the inventory (style and size) they have on hand, Sierra Trading Post is a place that you can pick up flies for as cheap as 36.5 cents a piece ($4.38/dozen). If the flies are on sale and you have one of their 45% off codes, that's where the price lands.

Good thinkin. I haven't had time at all to tie lately. Just went on STP and got 13 dozen flies for $84. That's $0.55 per fly.

30% off with code SITEWED1113. That code ends today but Im sure another one will be right around the corner.

No way use the flystop. I had a friend put a 150$ order in and he never received the flies and the company will not refund him or even send him an order. Smh

I tie all my own flies but have had some buddies order from fly shack and big y fly company. Quality seems to be good, big y fly is a bit cheaper and even gives out free decals.

StarvinMarvin wrote:
No way use the flystop. I had a friend put a 150$ order in and he never received the flies and the company will not refund him or even send him an order. Smh

WOW my experience with Fly Stop has been great. My favorite feature is they keep an online account of every fly you have purchased including a picture of same. See attached. I will forward a link of this conversation to the owner.

Attachments

• 060113-001.jpg
    060113-001.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 6
Before you contact the Flystop, read the post again. He's saying don't use "Fly Fishing Box and use "Flystop".

Thanks Prof....but give me that there could be two interpretations.

I love FlyStop and I appreciate the extra expense they go through to print out a color list of each fly I ordered. As a newbie that really helped me figure out what on Earth I paid for, and then to attach a name to flies that worked.

The flies themselves range from about a 3-7 on a 1-10 scale. Nothing is amazing and most of the flies only survive 4 or 5 trips (unless a tree spares them first), but there are a few diamonds in the rough and the price/speed is the real kicker. I've probably spent $300 or so there since my addiction began 2 years ago

Yes I'm saying use the fly stop, that's where I send anyone whose starting with a list of his flies to get. As far as the flystop I've really never experienced a consistent wear and tear on the flies.

Fishing fly box was very rude with his emails as well in regards to any of his complaints.

Where as the owner of the fly stop was kind enough to send me materials list in an email on a couple flies that I really do well on and helped me get a solid base to start tying.

Back