Anyone ever find a great deal at a yard sale on FF gear?

bigslackwater

bigslackwater

Would like to hear about the hidden treasures you have found at yard sales. I don't stop at many because I've never had any luck finding any great deals. Being a musician, I've always wanted to find a hidden gem for cheap, but I think everyone knows that instruments can be worth something, so they do their homework...but what about fishing gear?? It seems like there could be some real nice stuff out there just sitting in the corner of someone's garage. Last saturday I found myself stopping at 4 yard sales on the way home from work. All I found was an old tackle box with some rusty eagle claw hooks and some spinners...What have you found?

I was driving through Bellefont one day a year or two ago and they were having a community yard sale. We didnt stop but I saw several yards with fly rods poking up out of the clutter.

Not a 5 dollar item but I picked up an LRH Hardy Lightweight from Craigs list in real nice shape for less than half of a new one. Don't do many yard sales , never seem to find anything.

A guy at a yard sale down the street gave me about $150 dollars worth of fly tying stuff for free

abel tr1
orvis battenkill 7/8
extra spool
reddinton rod of some sorts
st croix rod of some sorts

$150 for all

thanks craigslist

1915 hardy fly rod, including original and sought after bamboo case.

Bought a "crappy old" Herndon bamboo rod at a yard sale once: priced at $100. Per the then current owner, 'not as good as fiberglass nor that fancy graphite'. I clearly explained what it was probably worth, but no dice.

I gave him $300 and called it a day. I guess I'm a bad man.

An Orvis BBSIII for 40 bucks.
Nothing too much other than that.
I'd like to stumble across a nice glass rod one day though..

I did ok once when I found a couple old Martin reels...one with a sinking line I still use occasionally. the other attached to an old bamboo rod I got to use for a few months before I broke it. I think I paid 10 buck for everything.

Never had a whole lot of luck at yard sales, although I don't stop at a lot of them, when I drive by and see fishing gear I will stop.

Once I found a bamboo rod that was in pretty bad shape. Since repairing things is not one of my long suits I gave it to Pad, he did a real nice job and fixs it up. Fished it a lot before his accident.

Couple of years ago I found three fiberglass rod and old reel for $15.00, thats about it for me.

PaulG

No great fishing stuff at yard sales but I found an H&R Topper Model 490 20 guage shotgun for $10! Picked that one up in a hurry!

About 10 years ago found some old flies I have never fished. Vintage streamers and wet flies for a buck. They just looked cool and I liked the age to them. Same day: Schwinn Stingray for $5. Best buy ever for me. My 11 year old son loves it- banana seat but no sissy bar.

No flyfishing gear unfortunately, but my dad and I hunt traditional archery and he collects Bear bows and has found some very rare and valuable bear bows for very cheap.

I dont do yard sales in fact I was thinking of making up a bumper sticker that says caution I speed up past yard sales but our friend goes all the time and the last gem she found was a whole bag of assorted fur pieces mostly dyed mink and some muskrat but lots of other skins all tanned and ready to go for .50 cents. We of course got to share in them but I am slowly starting to think about hitting a few before winter. We also have friends that go to all the yard sales and then resell thier findings on ebay and their website and they do rather well for a hobby.

Found this gem while driving down the road today. $5 because the guy left it out in the rain last night covered and it got a little damp. The front edge of the desk is lifting a little and it needs a couple handles, but for the price it is awesome.

Going to refinish it and move all of my fly tying materials from my kitchen to my upstairs office, now that I have found this desk.

I have been combing Craigslist for one of these for awhile and it is really hard to find one for less then $100. The guy I purchased it from said his neighbor told him he could easily get $150 for it, but did not believe him. I did not have the heart to tell him his neighbor was probably right.

IMAG1594.jpg

I picked up 2 and a half bamboo rods for 35.00 and an LL bean 8'6" 6/7 wt rod for 20.00 Then promptly went to cabelas and picked up a loaded prestige reel for an additional 20.00
Not to bad I think

Back