alternative to multisection wading staffs

k-bob

k-bob

I have gotten tired of having the tip section of multi-section wading staffs get stuck in sand or muck, causing the sections to pull apart when I pull up. Since I also fish down long rail grades, and have to make time-consuming hikes in, I bought a pair of REI Peak UL winter carbon fiber trekking poles from the REI in conshohocken, suburban philly, late in the summer.

The poles are lightweight have one good latch to adjust height, and greatly speed walking on a good trail or abondoned rail grade. They also never have the fine carbide tip get stuck in sand or muck and pull apart like most multi-section wading staffs made for fly fishing. The best thing is that with two of them you can walk faster on good roads or trails. They were marked down from over $100 to about $40 for a pair in late summer and they very light. They did have more of them in late summer, don't know if they would now. If you can still get a pair for $40, you'd only be trashing a $20 object if you break one or lose one.

The first time I used them on a pocono rail grade I know, I walked so much faster that I walked right past my turn!
I fish way out there, and these things help a lot and save time.

Down sides: 1) if you whack them on the sides, they could weaken, 2) I would not trust my full weight on one of them, the pole or adjustment latch probably could not take it, 3) they float and you have to make sure they don't get carried away by the current when you get carried away fishing (yes, I lost one that way!) , 4) you may look like some norwegian olyimpics wannabe looking for summer snow walking with them, but the added speed and stability with two sticks is worth it for me.

I use an old broomstick with a lanyard attached to one end.

Saw a guy at Penns this year who made one with a plastic shaft from a broom or some such. It was nice because it was able to float.

I have one made from a closet pole. On the end it has a PVC cap with a metal bolt through it into the wood so the end doesn't split on rocks. On the handle end, it's lashed with a long enough lead that I tie it to my shoulder bag. When fishing it floats or I have the lead long enough to drape over my shoulder where it's nicely out of the way. I can put my full weight on it and it's long enough (shoulder height) that it makes a dandy hiking staff too.

I use a wooden broom handle also.

I went out and dumped some money on a wading staff some years ago..It's custom fit, carved, with a nylon grip and brass tip..Staff is made from walnut and has lasted quite a while considering the heavy wading I've put it through..When it breaks I'll get one of those broom stick jobs...

I dunno about these broomsticks, they might look crazier than my trekking poles! :)

I need a stick to keep me from drowning, it sounds like some place I don't want to wade.

I picked up a telescoping trekking pole @ Gander Mt, they have them at Wal Mart for under $20. It's got a wrist strap on it, which I've attached a carabiner. Attach it to your belt or if it will hook onto your vest or chestpack you're good to go. I used it before I had my knee scoped and like to have it in my vehicle just in case. If it breaks, no big deal to replace.

WADING STAFF WE DON'T NEED NO STINKING WADING STAFF :pint:

Home depot or wal mart has paint roller extension handles. They are essentially a broomstick with a threaded metal tip. I wrapped the handle with neoprene, and textured/tied it down with copper wire. I then marked measurements on it for leader building, and tied a lanyard of old fly line on it. Worked well.

I bet an old ski pole would work well and can probably be had for free if you look around. Strap, grip and a protected point... what more do you need

broomsticks? home depot? yeeesh, I thought I was low tech! but if you are going to walk any distance on a good trail, a pair of trekking poles saves a lot of time

broomsticks? home depot? yeeesh, I thought I was low tech! but if you are going to walk any distance on a good trail, a pair of trekking poles saves a lot of time-quote

wading staffs and trekking poles are both must haves until you learn from hard earned experience-they aren't.
In a true emergency fly rods can be used for a staff but learning the tricks to safe ,smart wading is a better way to go.

pete41 wrote:
broomsticks? home depot? yeeesh, I thought I was low tech! but if you are going to walk any distance on a good trail, a pair of trekking poles saves a lot of time-quote

wading staffs and trekking poles are both must haves until you learn from hard earned experience-they aren't.
In a true emergency fly rods can be used for a staff but learning the tricks to safe ,smart wading is a better way to go.

Depends on where you fish..If you are fishing the breeches or letort you don't need a staff..If you are fishing Penns, or the Savage you do; at least if you want to move around at a good clip...

I am talking Madison,Yellowstone etc.
Never saw a western guide use one-just the nimrods.lol

pete41 wrote:
I am talking Madison,Yellowstone etc.
Never saw a western guide use one-just the nimrods.lol

If I see an angler walking around Penns, when flows are high, with out a staff, I have a hard time taking him seriously..I don't know about western guides; thought they all floated, but back east the rocks are round and move around alot...

bam wrote:
I bet an old ski pole would work well and can probably be had for free if you look around. Strap, grip and a protected point... what more do you need

Yessir.
and short enough that you can lean on it.

pete41 wrote:

In a true emergency fly rods can be used for a staff

really?? do you understand the concept of a wading staff?

FishOn247 wrote:
pete41 wrote:

In a true emergency fly rods can be used for a staff

really?? do you understand the concept of a wading staff?

Do you understand the concept of discussion? Pete's an ornery old cuss but he's not rude.

Back