Allen or Redington

wetboot

wetboot

about to order my first decent fly rod in a 4 wt cant decide on the brand....what u guys think? who has better customer service? any opinions would be awesome ha thanks brethren

Just call Justin at Allen and find out for yourself. Then try and call Redington and ask them some questions. I own rods and reels by both companies and hands down I would go with Allen. Don't get me wrong Redington makes some nice products but Justin at Allen is just a great guy and will do anything to help you out. That goes a long way in my book.

I havent fished a allen, though I own a redington. The redington is a great rod, but no one from redington posts here.

Allen on the other hand sponsors this forum, posts on this forum, and everything I have ever read on them is positive. I would go with them if I were not building allmy own rods.

Haven't used a Redington rod, but I have heard nothing bad about them.

I have used an Allen rod, good rod, great customer service, I will continue buying from them.

I have used both, and have gotten great service from both by emailing and talking to them. You honestly cannot go wrong on what rod you choose.

I agree though with everyone who has said good things about Allen....nothing but good stuff. I love my Allen ATS rods!!!

I do not own anything from Allen, but I have never heard bad things about them. I own a Redington rods and have talked to them on the phone and through email/social networks. I have had no problems and were a pleasure to deal with when I had questions about a few producta.

Allen hands down. Justin from Allen goes above and beyond for their customers. I just talked to Justin through email a couple of minutes ago. I really don't know how the heck that guy stays on top of everything but he is good!

Redington is a great company. I own a few of there rods an love them. On the other hand I have heard nothing but good things about Allen also. Like others have said, either company you choose you'll be happy with. But it's nice to help out the 'newer' company's. such as Allen.

Either one would be a great option. I would pick a redington rod over allen personally, but when it comes to reels, the allen would be my choice without hesitation. I just feel that redington rods are great. The pursuit is a great entry rod in the med-fast range. I still use multiple pursuit rods. Pair that with an allen reel and you will have a winner IMO.

redingtons new tempt would be an awesome choice for a 4 wt also.

thanks fellas you guys are awesome ha...i think i decided to get a 4wt and a 7wt for steelhead so im gonna get one of each :) ill let you guys know exactly what i order thanks again :)

I only own two graphite rods. One is an Allen ATS 2/3wt and the other is a Reddington Crosswater 9'5wt. They're both great rods for the dollar. I never fished a larger Allen, but I love the one I have. I love my Reddington too. This is of no help!

I have owned the cross water in 9' 5 wt. My favorite rod i have ever put my hands on. I would say it is more medium/fast. I own the pursuite now. It is a great rod but a little more fast then the cross water. If you choose redington on your 4 weight rod i would go with a cross water. The thing is comparaple to many sages IMO.

I will not say anything bad about ALLEN. As the others have stated, they go way beyond normal means for customer service, they have donated many things to members of this site who have started youth programs and such.

I have never talked with Justin, but Ethan has been very good to me with their hooks and using them for my fly tying business.

My next rod will be an Allen for sure.

You know, the Crosswater is simply amazing, especially for the money. I'm not a big graphite fan, but I used my Crosswater all summer for smallmouth and had a blast. That 5wt can chuck some serious line, even with bass flies.

This summer though, my smallmouth rig is a 7wt Wonderrod and an Eagle Claw Granger...oh yeah! You'll be hearing that reel clickin' and screaming a mile away!

I cannot make any comment about Redington CS but I can say that dealing with Justin at Allen is as easy as you will ever get. The man responds quickly and is hell bent on satisfying you.

THANKS AGAIN FELLAS....what an awesome forum

mike_richardson wrote:
If you choose redington on your 4 weight rod i would go with a cross water. The thing is comparaple to many sages IMO.
The last I heard Redington was still owned by Sage. I guess you could refer to them as foreign made Sage's. I have no idea about Allen rods but I would not hesitate to buy a Redington.

I can't speak for Redington however my friend owns one and is very fond of it. I've never heard anything bad about them. I can speak for Allen, I own an Allen ATS and an Allen reel, once I got it I've never looked back, very happy with it. Just like everyone else said, the guys there are really helpful and stand by their products. Something to keep in mind, you may be able to take a ride to the show in Lancaster coming up. You might be able to lay hands on them to help you decide.

Sage owns Redington . Allen switches reels and rods every six months which means they don't stand by their product in the long run .

Fredrick wrote:
Allen switches reels and rods every six months which means they don't stand by their product in the long run.

I have an Allen that has blown clutch bearing that free spools now. I'd stay away.

Back