Allen & Co. Packvest and Reel

albatross

albatross

I turned 47 yesterday and my loving wife was kind enough to get me a new reel for 5/6 weight and a new pack/vest from Allen and Co. I believe Raff's recommendation in another Gear thread put me on to this company. I have not fished with them yet, but the quality seems excellent on inspection and the price is outstanding. I'm a bigger guy and the pack/vest fits fine. Its adjustable to fit anyone.

Here is a link to the products I've been gifted.
http://www.allenflyfishing.com/rucksack.html
http://www.allenflyfishing.com/xl.html

I'll post a more in depth review once I've properly baptized these items.

Wow Alby, great site, great prices on everything listed. Let us know how you make out with the reel and vest/pack. Happy Birthday!

Happy Birthday, old man! You got the ruck-sack/vest combo, not the rucksack/chestpack, correct? I saw that the vest option also had an option for "removable pockets." Let me know precisely which one you got because as you know, I wasn't satisfied with my homemade solution to my tackle-toting issue.

JackM wrote
You got the ruck-sack/vest combo, not the rucksack/chestpack, correct?

Yes, with the removable pockets. I paid $6 extra for the removable pockets, but I'm not sure that will be an important feature for me (it lets you zip off a pocket that would hold a fly box and have a ripple foam fly keeper section -- say to just take the one pocket with you on a brookie stream).

I believe this pack/vest compares favorably to the Fishpond Wasatch that retails for $189 (cheapest I saw on the net was $160).

Jack, I think you are going to like this reel in a 7/8 for steel & salmon.

Happy Birthday!!!!

Nice gifts! Have your wife call mine and explain how the gift giving process works! :lol:

David wrote
Have your wife call mine and explain how the gift giving process works!

Here's how my wife and I do it... I get on her computer a couple weeks before my birthday. I go to the website that has the cool stuff I want. I put a few items in the shopping cart on the site. Ask your wife if she's gotten you anything for your birthday yet and offer her the website, she'll usually go for it.

Be sure and tell your wife that each of the items is useless without the other items.

Sweet! Post a review of the reel after you use it. I've been hearing nothing but good things about Allen & Co and their customer service. I'm waiting for the XL reels to be available in 3/4 so i can replace all of those reels. It will be good to get some unbiased endorsement of the reels.

HBD Alby!!!! That is some wife you got there. Tell me, does she pick that stuff out herself or you have to steer pretty hard?

albatross wrote:
David wrote
Have your wife call mine and explain how the gift giving process works!

Here's how my wife and I do it... I get on her computer a couple weeks before my birthday. I go to the website that has the cool stuff I want. I put a few items in the shopping cart on the site. Ask your wife if she's gotten you anything for your birthday yet and offer her the website, she'll usually go for it.

Be sure and tell your wife that each of the items is useless without the other items.

Haha - thats great. I have been in contact with Justin over at Allen co. and from all reports, their products are legit and their prices can't be beat. I am going to test some stuff out from him and maybe do some marketing for him as well, but that is aways down the road. I am definitely going to be picking up some line and one of the reels in a 3/4 wt asap.

Those prices on lines cant be beat.

I have a soft spot for chest packs/combos. Every time I see stuff like this posted, I get the itch to upgrade and/or replace. I think it's some kind of sickness... :-?

WGMiller wrote
I have a soft spot for chest packs/combos. Every time I see stuff like this posted, I get the itch to upgrade and/or replace. I think it's some kind of sickness...

Yeah, I try to keep it to one a year. I look at it as my tastes evolving...

Happy Birthday Alby.
You're still a young'un.
I hit 55 on feb 16. My wife did the same a day earlier. And our anniversary was the 17th. So, we got eveything out of the way in one week
But we were in hawaii, so it wasn't too bad

Hi Everyone,

Been reading the posts. Thanks! If you need anything PM me and I'll get back with you asap. If you prefer to chat on the phone. Let me know and I'll give you my conact info.

Thanks again,

Justin

47? I woulda bet I was older than you. Happy belated to one of the nicest fellers I've met on this board.
Think that demeanor of yours keeps ya lookin' young.

(auto roofs have been the demise of countless flyfishin items and voided many expensive warranties) :) Just say no!

Happy birthday/anniversary DryFlyGuy.

I have the new vest loaded and the new reel spooled. Just hoping to shake this cold and maybe get out to fish Saturday.

Justin,

Both items seem to be of very good quality so far. I'm anxious to put them to use.

Just wanted to post I spoke with Justin today from the Allen & Co about his fly lines for a fishing program that I'm running and he seemed like a stand up guy I'm putting an order in tonight for 2 lines and a reel. I will give you an update once everything arrives. Again he really seems like a stand up guy

wgmiller wrote:
I have a soft spot for chest packs/combos. Every time I see stuff like this posted, I get the itch to upgrade and/or replace. I think it's some kind of sickness... :-?

What has been your experience with these in regard to how they feel on your neck and shoulders? I've had problems with that with standard vests.

Are there certain features you should look for, or avoid, in regard to that?

Troutbert,

I said this many times before with regard to chest/packs vs. vests. I carry a lot of stuff with me on the stream, and when wearing a vest, I always ended the day with a sore back. I believed that was the "cost of doing business" until I tried a chest/pack. The straps on a chest pack evenly distribute the weight and are a lot more comfortable. The only issue, for me any way, is that the chest/packs with a large front pouch obstruct your downward view, which is dangerous, IMO, for hiking or wading. I opt for the CPs that have two smaller side pouches that hang to the side and allow you to see your feet. I would not trade my chest/pack for any vest.

Ever wonder why backpackers are called "backpackers" and not "vestpackers"? ;-)

afishinado wrote:
Troutbert,

I said this many times before with regard to chest/packs vs. vests. I carry a lot of stuff with me on the stream, and when wearing a vest, I always ended the day with a sore back. I believed that was the "cost of doing business" until I tried a chest/pack. The straps on a chest pack evenly distribute the weight and are a lot more comfortable. The only issue, for me any way, is that the chest/packs with a large front pouch obstruct your downward view, which is dangerous, IMO, for hiking or wading. I opt for the CPs that have two smaller side pouches that hang to the side and allow you to see your feet. I would not trade my chest/pack for any vest.

Ever wonder why backpackers are called "backpackers" and not "vestpackers"? ;-)

I couldn't agree more - those are my experiences exactly. Years of a sore back while wearing a vest went away when I switched to a chest pack that had a decent suspension and padding for distributing the weight.

I have been using a William Joseph Coastal II pack that I picked up for cheap at Sierra Trading Post, but am still looking for the holy grail of packs that would let me do a two-day ultralight backpacking/fishing trip. Two years ago, I took my normal pack and a small William Joseph pack; last year, I took my normal pack and my large William Joseph pack, but I'd like something that I could stuff an ultralight tent, sleeping bag and stove in and some fishing gear and go, and leave the backpacking pack behind. The William Joseph Exodus pack looks like it might be somewhere in between my current pack and my backpacking pack, but this Allen & Co pack looks intriguing. I'm guessing it may be too small for an overnight - can anyone comment on the cubic inches of storage the backpack provides?

Thanks.

salmonoid wrote
I'm guessing it may be too small for an overnight - can anyone comment on the cubic inches of storage the backpack provides?

The rear pack is a little smaller than the William Joseph Escape pack that I'm replacing which was 1725 cubic inches. I don't think you'd want to carry a tent and a stove with this. More like lunch, raingear, and a small emergency kit along with plenty of fishing gear.

This pack is a dead ringer for the Fishpond Wasatch which has a 610 cubic inch backpack.

Back