Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Allen & Co. Packvest and Reel

From Carlisle, Pa
Just wanted to post I spoke with Justin today from the Allen & Co about his fly lines for a fishing program that I'm running and he seemed like a stand up guy I'm putting an order in tonight for 2 lines and a reel. I will give you an update once everything arrives. Again he really seems like a stand up guy

Posted on: 2010/3/2 18:06

Quote:

wgmiller wrote:
I have a soft spot for chest packs/combos. Every time I see stuff like this posted, I get the itch to upgrade and/or replace. I think it's some kind of sickness...

What has been your experience with these in regard to how they feel on your neck and shoulders? I've had problems with that with standard vests.

Are there certain features you should look for, or avoid, in regard to that?

Posted on: 2010/3/2 20:55

From Chester County
Troutbert,

I said this many times before with regard to chest/packs vs. vests. I carry a lot of stuff with me on the stream, and when wearing a vest, I always ended the day with a sore back. I believed that was the "cost of doing business" until I tried a chest/pack. The straps on a chest pack evenly distribute the weight and are a lot more comfortable. The only issue, for me any way, is that the chest/packs with a large front pouch obstruct your downward view, which is dangerous, IMO, for hiking or wading. I opt for the CPs that have two smaller side pouches that hang to the side and allow you to see your feet. I would not trade my chest/pack for any vest.

Ever wonder why backpackers are called "backpackers" and not "vestpackers"?

Posted on: 2010/3/3 9:52

From Lancaster County
Quote:

afishinado wrote:
Troutbert,

I said this many times before with regard to chest/packs vs. vests. I carry a lot of stuff with me on the stream, and when wearing a vest, I always ended the day with a sore back. I believed that was the "cost of doing business" until I tried a chest/pack. The straps on a chest pack evenly distribute the weight and are a lot more comfortable. The only issue, for me any way, is that the chest/packs with a large front pouch obstruct your downward view, which is dangerous, IMO, for hiking or wading. I opt for the CPs that have two smaller side pouches that hang to the side and allow you to see your feet. I would not trade my chest/pack for any vest.

Ever wonder why backpackers are called "backpackers" and not "vestpackers"?

I couldn't agree more - those are my experiences exactly. Years of a sore back while wearing a vest went away when I switched to a chest pack that had a decent suspension and padding for distributing the weight.

I have been using a William Joseph Coastal II pack that I picked up for cheap at Sierra Trading Post, but am still looking for the holy grail of packs that would let me do a two-day ultralight backpacking/fishing trip. Two years ago, I took my normal pack and a small William Joseph pack; last year, I took my normal pack and my large William Joseph pack, but I'd like something that I could stuff an ultralight tent, sleeping bag and stove in and some fishing gear and go, and leave the backpacking pack behind. The William Joseph Exodus pack looks like it might be somewhere in between my current pack and my backpacking pack, but this Allen & Co pack looks intriguing. I'm guessing it may be too small for an overnight - can anyone comment on the cubic inches of storage the backpack provides?

Thanks.

Posted on: 2010/3/3 22:52

From Westmoreland County (near fairgrounds)
salmonoid wrote Quote:
I'm guessing it may be too small for an overnight - can anyone comment on the cubic inches of storage the backpack provides?

The rear pack is a little smaller than the William Joseph Escape pack that I'm replacing which was 1725 cubic inches. I don't think you'd want to carry a tent and a stove with this. More like lunch, raingear, and a small emergency kit along with plenty of fishing gear.

This pack is a dead ringer for the Fishpond Wasatch which has a 610 cubic inch backpack.

Posted on: 2010/3/3 23:25

From Delaware Co.
Alby did you give that new chest pack a test run yet ?

Posted on: 2010/3/6 8:39

Fredrick wrote Quote:
Alby did you give that new chest pack a test run yet ?

Yes, I used it today (see my stream report). I really like the system. Its a cross between a vest and a chest pack in the front and it has a pack in the rear. The rear pack is a little smaller than I'm used to, but I'll adjust. The front is great, I can finally carry everything I need up front. I can easily get six fly boxes up front if need be. It carried very comfortably too.

Posted on: 2010/3/7 0:11

From Mount Joy, PA
I picked this up in the vest version as well. It's stocked and ready-to-go as I type. Think I'm gonna like it much better than just the chest pack I was using.

Just wanted to add that I stopped in Wally World the other day and picked up two supplements for my system:

1.) the zipper that zips on the front pockets doesn't have a pull on it. In the camping section, they sell a box of four zipper pulls. I added one to each side and accessing the zipper is a breeze now. Since I have fly boxes in that area, I knew I'd be accessing it on a regular basis.

2.) I picked up a hydration bladder for the system. Also in the camping section, I paid perhaps $10 for a 2 liter pouch. I'm excited to have easily accessible water streamside!

Posted on: 2010/4/2 9:20

alby, the chest pack that comes on the allen combo has enough room for six boxes in it? thats not including the backpack part? Wow! Does it have the thing you can put all your spools of tippet on?

What about the bladder for drinking, does that come with it?

Posted on: 2010/4/4 0:21

TimmyT wrote Quote:
alby, the chest pack that comes on the allen combo has enough room for six boxes in it? thats not including the backpack part? Wow! Does it have the thing you can put all your spools of tippet on? What about the bladder for drinking, does that come with it?

Tim,

I got the vest/rucksack not the chestpack/rucksack, and yes I can easily get 6 boxes in the vest. I suspect the chestpack is not quite so roomy.

It comes ready for a bladder but not with a bladder. You can get one at StuffMart for around 10-12 dollars.

Posted on: 2010/4/4 7:48

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
84 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
2 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com