All welded vs Riveted?

• Thread starter salvelinusfontinalis
  • Start date
salvelinusfontinalis

salvelinusfontinalis

Looking at purchasing a Jon Boat for next season.

My question is which way would you go?

All welded John Boats are much more expensive than the Riveted versions. Is it really worth a 2500 dollar price difference?

The question becomes what are you going to use it for? I own a riveted 14'er but I bought it with very specific fishing in mind. One of the rivers near my house isn't very deep in the upper stretches so I wanted something that would draft shallow but also be light enough to be picked up by 2 people where a tradition launch wasn't available.

If weight isn't an issue all welded are nice. They will typically carry more weight, have a thicker aluminum hull and will stand up to more rock banging.

That being said I've only ever fished out of riveted boats and have never had an issue. The rivets over time can leak but my buddy has had his riveted jon for 20 years and no problems.

Good luck with your search.

I have had boats of both types of construction, bought the welded type when I was into waterfowl hunting and wanted a thicker more durable boat for the river in the cold sometimes frozen waters. As far as for fishing, I agree the rivited are usually lighter and cheaper but mine lasted years on the shallow/rocky Juniata.

I have a riveted john boat that is older than me. I'm 32. It has spent its entire life outside in with zero maintenence and has seen frequent use. No leaks due to riveting. One leak due to a drunken knife throwing incident when I was about 20. Don't ask... I patched the knife hole. Just get the riveted one.

they say the riveted liberty ships took a torpedo better than their welded versions.....that's all i have.

Thanks for the responses!

I know which way iam going to go.

salvelinusfontinalis wrote:
Thanks for the responses!

I know which way iam going to go.

West, young man?

Sorry, just could not resist.........

But Titanic didn't fair as well against an iceberg as liberty ships against torpdeos, go figure.

Back