Air Travel with Fly Gear

AugustWest

AugustWest

Flying from Phila to Jackson Hole to spend 10 days in Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks. The last time I flew with rods, etc. was before TSA. Looking for suggestions on how to do it in this modern age.

You shouldn't have a problem carrying them on, especially if they're 4pc rods. Reels also no problem. Flies are probably ok, but I'd check any tools etc.

I am taking 2 4-piece rods, 2 reels, chest pack, waders.

If you can fit all of that in a carry-on, you'll be fine. You can carry the tubes as-is (maybe tape them together). But I'd put hemos, nippers, and anything else that might get some TSA undies in a wad in your checked luggage.

Agree with the others, I just got back from a trip to MT and had no problem. I was on United out of ABE to Bozeman. I carried 2 rod tubes (taped together) on as my 1 personal item. I had a small duffle bag with my reels, chestpack, and other assorted gear. We had 4 in our group and we all did the same. We checked 1 bag for the 4 of us that had our nippers, flies, hemo, etc. (but all the critical gear was carried on)

Using rubber bands works great in holding rod tubes together and does not leave a tape film. Anything with a hook to it - put it in your check-in luggage.

I have carried 2, 3 and 4 piece rods on my trips without any issue. I will keep all hooks, nippers, knives, etc. in my checked bags or when I go to FL I will ship them ahead since I stay with my parents. I am fairly certain the folks in MT airports are used to seeing rod tubes . . .

For those who carried on 4pc rod tubes: Were you also carrying on a backpack and/or standard carry-on sized piece of luggage?

I am flying (United) at the end of the month and would ideally prefer to carry on my rods and also carry a bag or small suitcase for my reels and other regular travel items. I've flown before and was able to carry on a backpack or laptop case along with my stowed carry-on baggage. I've never flown with rods as carry-on.

Thanks,

Kev

I have carried on a small luggage bag with my clothes, a backpack and 2 rods without checking any bags. Everyone does this now. Nobody likes the baggage fees.

I just got back from a 17 day trip with, I think, 15 flights involved (admittedly, many of which didn't involve TSA).

Every single fishing related item I packed (alot) was with me as a carry on.

TSA didn't make a peep.

PennKev wrote:
For those who carried on 4pc rod tubes: Were you also carrying on a backpack and/or standard carry-on sized piece of luggage?

On my major carrier flights, I carried on

- rod case holding 4 rods
- backpack
- my fishpond "storm mountain" bag with most of my fishing gear (reels, flies, assorted tackle, etc)

on one flight, I was asked by the boarding agent to gate check one of my items. On all of the other flights, they let me carry all 3 on.

CLSports wrote:
I have carried on a small luggage bag with my clothes, a backpack and 2 rods without checking any bags. Everyone does this now. Nobody likes the baggage fees.

Ok, so you carried the rods on in addition to the duffle and small luggage?

That sounds like the ideal situation for me as I may be able to take all I need with no checked luggage. I'm debating whether to take waders and boots so that still might change things for me.

Thanks,

Kev

Numerous times I read in teh past to use a plastic rod tube, not a metal one. YMMV.

gfen wrote:
Numerous times I read in teh past to use a plastic rod tube, not a metal one. YMMV.

As someone who has a few older metal tubes, I can say this is gospel. Plastic please.

I flew this summer with a backpack, carry on roller, and one rod tube no problems. One guy on my flight was carrying 3 or 4 of the old metal tubes for 2 and 3 piece bamboo rods. I checked my waders and sling pack inside of another bag, but there shouldn't be a problem with that either. Any tools must be 7 inches or less in length so that probably means no fly tying vise or big *** hemo's but other than that you'll be fine.

PennKev wrote:

I am flying (United) at the end of the month and would ideally prefer to carry on my rods and also carry a bag or small suitcase for my reels and other regular travel items. I've flown before and was able to carry on a backpack or laptop case along with my stowed carry-on baggage. I've never flown with rods as carry-on.

Thanks,

Kev

United gives you one carry on bag and one "personal" item. Strap rod tubes to your carry on bag or personal item or just carry them as your personal item.

To original poster, search this site for "tsa" (where I recently posted in an identical thread) or go to tsa website as they have everything spelled out on sporting goods.

I strapped the rod tubes to the luggage bag. It is now one item! I have done this many times without a problem.

Wow, reading this thread there's a bunch of different scenarios here. I would like to throw mine into the mix if I can. I am heading to Montana in September for 15 days flying out of Pittsburgh. I will be checking in my fishpond Yellowstone duffel bag. My plan is to carry on my rods in a fishpond pvc cordura covered tube w/strap that will hold 3 to 4- 3 piece rods. Are we saying I can carry on another bag like my fishpond bighorn bag also and it wont be a problem? Or is the rod tube going to be the only thing I can carry on. Boy, I hope the TSA people are in a good mood the day I fly.

When I flew to Jackson Hole last year I looked at this very carefully. You have to comply with TSA and airline rules. The TSA is only concerned about sharp objects. The TSA rules permit flies, but prohibit fish hooks (typical BS). This leaves you at the mercy of the TSA agents at your concorse. They may let flies through they may not. Don't risk it, pack the fly boxes and nippers in your checked bags. If your bags get lost, you have your rods (the important gear) and can buy flies and the number of fly shops in the area. You get one carry on and a personal item on United, as others have mentioned. I took a rod/reel case that holds two four peice rods and a back pack on a United flight without any issue. I saw a gentleman take a two piece rod/ reel case on board as a carry on (looked like a royal pain). In the end, carry on the rods and you should be fine checking the rest. If your really concerned, ship your gear.

Back