HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Air Travel with Fly Gear

From Eastern PA
Quote:

PennKev wrote:
For those who carried on 4pc rod tubes: Were you also carrying on a backpack and/or standard carry-on sized piece of luggage?

I am flying (United) at the end of the month and would ideally prefer to carry on my rods and also carry a bag or small suitcase for my reels and other regular travel items. I've flown before and was able to carry on a backpack or laptop case along with my stowed carry-on baggage. I've never flown with rods as carry-on.

Thanks,

Kev

United gives you one carry on bag and one "personal" item. Strap rod tubes to your carry on bag or personal item or just carry them as your personal item.

To original poster, search this site for "tsa" (where I recently posted in an identical thread) or go to tsa website as they have everything spelled out on sporting goods.

Posted on: 2013/8/7 21:15

From SE PA - Montgomery County
I strapped the rod tubes to the luggage bag. It is now one item! I have done this many times without a problem.

Posted on: 2013/8/8 7:45

From Johnstown, Pa
Wow, reading this thread there's a bunch of different scenarios here. I would like to throw mine into the mix if I can. I am heading to Montana in September for 15 days flying out of Pittsburgh. I will be checking in my fishpond Yellowstone duffel bag. My plan is to carry on my rods in a fishpond pvc cordura covered tube w/strap that will hold 3 to 4- 3 piece rods. Are we saying I can carry on another bag like my fishpond bighorn bag also and it wont be a problem? Or is the rod tube going to be the only thing I can carry on. Boy, I hope the TSA people are in a good mood the day I fly.

Posted on: 2013/8/8 11:01

From Ohio
When I flew to Jackson Hole last year I looked at this very carefully. You have to comply with TSA and airline rules. The TSA is only concerned about sharp objects. The TSA rules permit flies, but prohibit fish hooks (typical BS). This leaves you at the mercy of the TSA agents at your concorse. They may let flies through they may not. Don't risk it, pack the fly boxes and nippers in your checked bags. If your bags get lost, you have your rods (the important gear) and can buy flies and the number of fly shops in the area. You get one carry on and a personal item on United, as others have mentioned. I took a rod/reel case that holds two four peice rods and a back pack on a United flight without any issue. I saw a gentleman take a two piece rod/ reel case on board as a carry on (looked like a royal pain). In the end, carry on the rods and you should be fine checking the rest. If your really concerned, ship your gear.

Posted on: 2013/8/8 14:28

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com