Abel Reels

W

Wmass

I just got a catalogue in the mail and it looks like some of these reels go for about 600-800 bucks, are they really worth the money? I love the look of them and the custom paint, but thats alot of cash.

That's a mid-level Able. They get much higher than that.

Hell the nippers are $50.

Wmass wrote:
I just got a catalogue in the mail and it looks like some of these reels go for about 600-800 bucks, are they really worth the money? I love the look of them and the custom paint, but thats alot of cash.

Kinda like a Mercedes or a Porsche when you can buy a Honda or a Subaru that will do the same thing.

The Abel reels are the best you can buy. They are primarily designed for salt water applications, but they do make freshwater models. I have several Abels, some I have had for nearly 20 years. Despite heavy use in demanding places, they still look and work like new. My favorite Abel (3N) has caught over 500 fish in salt water from large stripers to very large redfish. Many barracudas and bonefish as well without ever a failure.
My TR 2 has been to Alaska, New Zealand and all over the US on my 5 wt. I gave up counting fish, but it is shiny and looks new as well as having the sweetest sounding drag out there. If you can afford it, get one. Guaranteed for life so you only buy it once.

I have have a few of the Abel Reels.

0, Super's 4, 6, 7, 10

DSCN9368.jpg

Like everything else in life you get what you pay for.

Bruno wrote:
Wmass wrote:
Kinda like a Mercedes or a Porsche when you can buy a Honda or a Subaru that will do the same thing.

Perfectly summed up.

There are times and places where you will be able to utilize Porsche attributes, but if you're just commuting to work any old reel will do.

On the other hand, they're solid. Its a serious hunk of steel. Just don't let anyone else put backing the reel.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 8
"...are they really worth the money?"

No.

FlySwatter wrote:
"...are they really worth the money?"

No.

+1. I find it hard to justify the $500+ rods, but I find it impossible to justify the cost of most of the higher end reels, especially for fishing in PA.

For big fish, saltwater for example, I think Able had great value 10-15 years ago. Today, there are so many high quality disk drag reels that are just as reliable, if not more reliable and less prone to maintenance. Having said that, Brunos analogy is dead on. However, one cannot dismiss the perceived value in the perceived higher quality brand.

Are they worth the money is a question of personal opinion. I have one and it is used a great deal and still works perfectly with no maintenance. So in my opinion it is.

i think they definitely pay dividends when it comes to the saltwater world. when it comes to freshwater though, ill save my money. ive come to the realization that fresh=nostalgia, salt=technical

As an owner of an Abel, and a fan of cheap reels, if I didn't get my point across clearly (and I didn't), these guys are right.

Its an overpriced piece of fishing jewelery. My normal PA reels are $20 1495s, my Abel BG2 is a fine backup to them. I do not need the level of quality it brings because I don't pursue big stripers, salmon, or steelhead.

I'll be taking mine to FL with me. It might be used. We'll see how the $20 Medalist holds up first, though. If I didn't have an Abel, any number of other reasonably priced reels would've worked.

As for the reel itself, like I said, its solid. Its heavy, will take any punishment you throw at it except a bulk winding machine, and requires little maintenance (back off the drag, the occasional lube for the cork). Its got a terriffic, heavy click to retrieve although the older reels were stupidly silent drag (some people might prefer this). The drag is pretty wide ranging, and has little to no start up inertia. If you back it all the way off, it'll spin on its axis all day long with no effort, FWIW?

The downside is the drawbar system seems downright archaic to more modern disc drags I've seen. Changing the spool requires removing the entire center screw and its attendant little fiddly bits, which is a reciepe for failure on a stream I bet.

Not that it matters, with the costs involved with these things, a spare spool is only for the well heeled. These are the sorts of people who can probably justify trips and destinations which this reel is suited to.

From what I understand, the lightest two series, the click only Trout and Abel Creeks, are adjustable (within the confines of click only, of course) with tools. This is also probably a major draw back, although I can't think of any time I've adjusted my clicking reels from all to anything less. Then, that might be my taste in clickers.

They sound sweet, look cool and perform with the best. If you can afford them go for it; otherwise, spend your money on a $100 reel with a good drag.

I own one, but certainly don't need it... especially for PA trout. On the other hand, I know I can get most of my money back if I want to sell it.

If fishing in PA for Trout Abel's are very expensive line holders. That said, I'm happy with my $100 Lamson Konic and $60 Allen line holders. However, if anyone would like to donate an Abel to my cause, I would glady except, because we all know Trout only want to be caught with the finest of gear.

I would have to think that an Abel reel is more of a status symbol as well as an overpriced line holder. Where in PA do you fish and have fish make blistering runs into the backing on 6x? Tell me because I'd love to fish there. Call me lazy or call me practical but I'd rather have a sealed drag system with little or no required service needed.

Abel = reel
1494 = reel
Guru = reel
Abel = Guru ??

Why has the name Abel been thrown out there alone? Why not Tibor, Bauer, Hatch, Galvan, Lamson, Ross? They all make high end reels. My feedback from a professional guide and a shop owner (at a sporting show) was that Bauer makes the most fail-proof reels on the planet. They didn't even carry them so to me, that's a pretty good endorsement. Unless I sell a kidney, I can't afford that stuff. Maybe I could if someone would buy my reel under the gear swap section. :)

I think it's funny when the people on the Winston forum go on and on about pair an Able up with a BIIIx. Hmmm. 6 oz reel with a 2 oz rod. That'll work.

I agree on Bauer. Definitely the sweetest reel I own.

So some guy heard that I fly fished for salmon and steelhead on the WNY tribs of lake O. He contacted me to buy (2) 8 wt Abels That were on some fancy rods. He wanted 600 each. I showed my wife the email and you woulda thought I just told the worlds funniest joke. I had a tough enough time explaining the 300 dollar receipt for my st.croix that she found 2 years later. lol

You ever hear that quote "My greatest fear is that some day my wife will sell my gear for what I said I paid for it"?

Rod_Hertzer wrote:
Why has the name Abel been thrown out there alone? Why not Tibor, Bauer, Hatch, Galvan, Lamson, Ross? They all make high end reels.

I assume because the OP got sucked in by eyecatching reels and the exorbinante increase in price to make yours unique from a book of stock designs. :)

As to Lamson, it is my personal opinion only that they make the ugliest reels in modern, brand name, manufacturering. I don't care if they're as great as everyone says, they are ugly. I think its because instead of a counterweight, they flare the spool arm opposite the handle. Its uniquely their look, and I'm happy about that.

In regards to the Winston, I find it interesting to compare reel weights to the ever decreasing weight of rods. I don't own any of the modern ultra light weight rods, nor do I own any modern ultra light reels, but I'm wondering what happens as we continually move towards larger and larger arbour reels with big drags versus lighter and lighter rods...I guess a balance is struck for now as rods are going longer, too.

My only comment here is if you only experience PA trout, an Abel is not for you. If you have experienced serious saltwater fly fishing, then you will quickly realize a Lamson or Bauer will not do the job for very long. If you need an endorsement, check with a Professional guide, say in Florida Keys, and see what they use.
An Abel is expensive. But consider what a decent saltwater trip costs ($500/day for a guide) and factor in what the price of a fish of a lifetime costs when your reel blows up on the first scorching run. I have witnessed this and it is not a pretty sight. Imagine a grown man crying over buying a piece of cut rate crap because some inexperienced fly shop clerk told him it was all you need. There are alternatives to Abel, but they are very near the same price point (Tibor, Nautalis, Fin Nor, etc.) Do your homework!!!
For those who fish only PA trout, you are correct, buy a $20.00 reel. It stores line as good as a wooden spool. You don't ever need anything better. But don't take it to Alaska or float trips in Montana. You will kick yourselves in the ***.

Not to go off on the Bauer tagent. But I agree, they are good reels. Though prior to the clutch upgrade done a few years ago I did see one blow up on a striper on the Vineyard late-nite one nite.

That said, you gotta love the fact that when you call them, the person's last name on the other end of the phone, is Bauer.

Back