Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3)

Re: A FF 'Gear That Don't Work!' Top 10

From Eastern PA
Quote:

tomitrout wrote:
always thought these things were kinda ghey:

Lamson-Ketchum-Release-Tool

Agreed as a separate tool, but some hemostats have the same little apparatus attached to the end which does the exact same thing and is quite handy.

Posted on: 2011/7/1 9:59

From Eastern PA
Quote:

Foxgap239 wrote:
Glow in the Dark gooh! I thought, great I can now nymph fish at night when the big boys are out, of course you need to carry a UV source and a 100 ft extension cord!

Much more effective and much lower shock hazard.

Attach file:

jpg  uvminilamp1LG.jpg (22.94 KB)
2943_4e0dd317187d3.jpg 300X300 px

Posted on: 2011/7/1 10:00

Quote:

jdaddy wrote:
Quote:

tomitrout wrote:

Agreed as a separate tool, but some hemostats have the same little apparatus attached to the end which does the exact same thing and is quite handy.

I need to find these, I saw J had some and I liked them. I need some nice hemos. I've always bought the cheap ones in the bins at the check out, but it's time to upgrade I think.

Posted on: 2011/7/1 10:55

From Clinton County, Pa.
Quote:

tomitrout wrote:

Big waste of money IMO. I bought one at half price. Not as easy to use as advertised. I no longer carry mine. Some may have a different experience than me but IMO it's worthless!

Posted on: 2011/7/1 11:12

From Eastern PA
Quote:

wsender wrote:
I need some nice hemos. I've always bought the cheap ones in the bins at the check out, but it's time to upgrade I think.

Sierra Trading Post during free shipping. Load up on Dr Slicks at $3-4 each.

Edit: Ask and ye shall received. Now go to fatwallet or slickdeals and get coupon codes for another 30% off and free ship.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/outd ... p-curved-tip-fly-fishing/

BTW, they have bead tweezers there too which are pretty damn handy.

Edit Edit: PDN5464F gets you 35% moar off. No free shipping right now.

Posted on: 2011/7/1 15:58

Quote:

jdaddy wrote:
Quote:

wsender wrote:
I need some nice hemos. I've always bought the cheap ones in the bins at the check out, but it's time to upgrade I think.

Sierra Trading Post during free shipping. Load up on Dr Slicks at $3-4 each.

Edit: Ask and ye shall received. Now go to fatwallet or slickdeals and get coupon codes for another 30% off and free ship.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/outd ... p-curved-tip-fly-fishing/

BTW, they have bead tweezers there too which are pretty damn handy.

Edit Edit: PDN5464F gets you 35% moar off. No free shipping right now.

Solid bro. Solid.

Say, do you watch extreme couponing?

Posted on: 2011/7/1 19:49

From Southwest, Pa
Quote:

jdaddy wrote:
Quote:

wsender wrote:
Quote:

jjsjigs wrote:
Sometimes I think Loon UV Knot Sense sux.

It always stays a bit tacky even when you hit it with the UV light for like 10 seconds or more.

It is what it is. Personally, I dig it. It makes nice scud backs, it does remain kinda 'gummy' (I wouldn't call it tacky), but I don't have a problem with that. FWIW it does make knots stronger.

I don't see how it would add much strength to the knot but meh. I am going to put it on my knots on my hand tied leaders so crap quits getting tangled up. Wonder how much it will impact drift? We'll see.

Re: gummy/tacky sit it outside in the sun and let the UV rays cook it all day. works like a charm. otherwise the cool gloss on the scud back gets all matte translucency when you fiddle with it.

this is good stuff... on both ends. Never thought of the knot-use to avoid tangles when I apathetically leave a little too much tag after a surgeon.

Posted on: 2011/7/2 5:16

-Art Lee

From Eastern PA
Sierra trading post today. Use NWA1073Y for 30% off and free shipping. Dr Slick hemos for $3. Lot of other deals depending upon your size. All you guys with size 7 feet and xs waists should clean up.

Posted on: 2011/7/2 9:45

From Howard Falls
Nice pull (jdad) w/the Sierra Trading stuff; i gotta hit them up more
often for their 'bushel-basket' style sell-offs. Speaking of sell-offs, i picked up a pair of black schnipps with a tiny magnifying glass attatched. Not sure who manufacturer was (Orvis, maybe) as
they came in a litttle unmarked ziplock bag culled from a plastic tub marked "SALE". At any rate, they sucked. The clipper part sucked, the magnifying lens sucked, & they were unwieldly (which sucked).
If the point of dark colored line nippers, or black hemos, etc is to
diminish noticeable flash on our vests/outerwear, then why have black schnipps with a highly reflective evil-eye attatched, just a danglin' there like a rediculously small FF monocle? Just gives fish MORE reason to laugh at us, imo.

Posted on: 2011/7/2 14:05

From Pittsburgh
My first pair of cheap rubber wading boots that I bought when I started.... I almost broke my neck every time I stepped in the stream... I had no idea the difference between that, felt, or studs..

Posted on: 2011/7/4 9:27

Quote:
Glow in the Dark gooh! I thought, great I can now nymph fish at night when the big boys are out, of course you need to carry a UV source and a 100 ft extension cord!

I actually saw a guy with one of those UV lights while night-fishing last year. He was using it too. To each their own. I barely even use my regular headlamp.

Posted on: 2011/7/4 20:18

Never got the hand of using either the Ketchum Release or any kind of hemostat. Overkill, at least for any fishing I do.

The only hook release tool I like is the one on my fisherman's nail clippers, a simple piece of metal with a forked end.

The only drawback to it is that it's too short...hmm, come to think of it, a nice slender two-pronged hor's d'oeurve fork with the ends filed short and blunt would work wonders.

Umpqua tippet. There, I had to say it.

Split shot, LOL. A minority opinion, perhaps.

Posted on: 2011/7/4 20:37

« 1 2 (3)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com