9'6" rods

Big-Bass

Big-Bass

So I intend to make smarter purchases for the new year :) and still need a rod to fish streamers but would love to have one that can play double duty for trout and steelhead. It seems like 9 foot would be short for nymphing for steelies, but 10 foot might be too long to swing streamers. Any input on splitting the difference with 9'6"? Pros vs. cons? Would 7 weight be too much for trout streamers here in nepa?

Huh? Why would a 10ft be too long? Think of spey and switch rod guys.

True...didn't think of that. Duh!

Just hurled streamers with DaveS last time trout fishing. We both used 10' 7 weights. Shorter rods are great from boats but when wading, longer rods do help. A 9', 9.5' or 10' would fine for steelie fishing. The first time I went steelhead fishing, I got a 9' 6 weight off of eBay for $26 including shipping. I handled several fish in the SR with a flow around 600-700 cfs. I didn't want to risk breaking a good rod. If I ever get a rod for the SR, buI won't, it would be a 12-13' rod. Would help you control drag on your drifts.

My new streamer dedicated set up is a 9' 7 weight rod. If you are talking about pitching #12 Mickey Finns in Dyberry Crk, just use a 4 or 5 weight.

Kray,

For small spots like that my zxl works just fine for stuff down to size 8 with a cone head. But for bigger waters like the lackawaxen, Delaware, and even the suskie for smallmouth in the summer, I am looking into something different. What 907? Is that the Axiom?

9 footer is the axiom. I also got a 9'6" Pursuit and a 10' crappy Cortland (giving this to the nephews). The TFO or the Redington will be used for steel, trouts and smallies on the river.

backcountry.com still has the Redington Persuits on sale for $59.95, including the 9'6" 7 wt. Today might be the last day though.

backcountry.com still has the Redington Persuits on sale for $59.95, including the 9'6" 7 wt. Today might be the last day though. Posted on: Today 12:54

I just picked the 9'6" 7wt up and I gotta say its a sweet stick for the price. I'm really happy with how it feels. I picked it up for big water Carpin.

My latest rod is a 9.5 ft TFO BVK for 7 wt. It's been great for big water trout streamer fishing and steelhead. A very good compromise IMO.

Back