8 wt. TFO BVK line recommendations

jwb123

jwb123

I have been an avid reader but haven't posted much (changing that moving forward). That being said, I know of number of the board members here have 8 wt. BVK's and was hoping I could get some line recommendations from you guys.

I purchased my BVK around the end of June and lined it with a Bass Pro Shops brand Vanguard line at the recommendation of sales rep. at Bass Pro. The line preformed well for about the first two months but the coating started to crack about 50 ft. back toward the end of August. I continued fishing it but it has only gotten worse. The coating has now completely fallen off about a three foot section of the line leaving only the core where it first started to crack. This rod is my go to small mouth rod and I was fishing it 3-4 days a week. Still I would have expected the line to hold up better than this.

I do almost all of my small mouth fishing from a boat and typically make casts in the 60-90 ft. range (pretty much casting as far as I can and still make a decent presentation). Usually I'm throwing crayfish patterns in the three inch range, streamers anywhere from 3-5 inches, or poppers sizes 2-2/0.

Any feed back would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

well i don't have a BVK, but i do have two suggestions - 1) go back to bass pro and get a refund on the line. then 2) go to your local fly store with your rod and reel - try a few lines out, get them to watch your cast and cast your normal cast - 60ft or so, no point showing off and aerialising the whole cast.

your local fly store is there to help you and they want you to come back again happy, rather than the big box stores who just want a quick sale (yeah i'm looking at you Orvis & Bean's too...) pushing their own brands...

i have cast the BVK and if i recall right, its on the fast side of medium fast, so if you're fishing in a lot of wind or casting those 2/0 poppers, overweighting to a WF9F might do ya. I like Scientific Anglers Streamer express but any WF 8/9F from Rio should be useful for you - but its all a matter of preference, so try some lines out. if you can, get a buddy in the know to go with you. its tough starting out i know - best of luck

GB

I'm pretty sure that there's a Clouser line that will match it perfectly / designed for it. Ask Bobby over at bass pro.

My buddy has a 6 weight for trout and it casts better when slightly overlined (rio grand). Shoots it like a cannon.

Geebee, I do try to support my local fly shop as much as possible but they cater to the trout crowd and have a limited selection of heavier gear. I've had positive experiences with my Rio lines for 5 wt. so I was considering sticking with the brand.

Krayfish, thanks for the suggestion on the Clouser line but I believe its been discontinued at least I'm pretty sure that's what they told me the day I was in there. Never the less it won't stop by and ask. I'll keep the Rio Grand in mind.

I have a bvk 8wt with rio grand and it casts very well. You might also want to check out rio's smallmouth line.

if that clouser line is discontinued, its probably on Ebay at a discount, or somewhere else on the internets.

The Clouser line is now called Powerfly. The BVK was designed using a SA GPX line. I used the 8wt with the Clouser line and a Ross LT4 for about a year. Makes for a super light combo.

You can find the Clouser line discounted on eBay. Pm if you neede help. Hell, Bobby might tell you the new line works better.

If you are throwing big stuff (Streamers topwater, weighted articulated junk) with that rod

Rio Outbound Short.

Turns pretty much any fast rod into a rocket launcher.

I throw rio grand 8 wt line on mine. It performs great when overlined slightly.

jwb,

The BVK has a pretty wide range for floating lines... I like it with Rio Gold (which should give you a little more distance), but it shouldn't have any problem going heavier either.

Power Fly and/or the Outbound lines will work as well if you want something heavier.

Thanks for all the replies. I certainly have some options to chose from now and appreciate the suggestions.

My suggestion would be to buy a switch rod and make those 90 ft. casts a breeze.

Since my pm feature isn't working....I'll have respond here to icyguides PM........

My buddy has SA Streamer Express. He said it's a 7 wr line with a 40' fast sink tip. Front 30' are 250 grain. The line retails for $79.95 The line was used for 4 hours from a driftboat one day. $40 picked up or $45 shipped. You have first shot at it.

correction to the line that I had mentioned.

Attachments

• streamer express label.jpg
    streamer express label.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 7
Back