7 or 8 wt too much overkill for nymphing

Fuller24

Fuller24

I'm looking into a 7 or 8 wt to double as a warm water fly rod and also my steelhead rig, would it be overkill for nymphing for trout on driftwood, or spring creek sized streams until I get my 9' 4wt... I was even thinking a 6wt for a do it all but seems like it would be light for bass/pike and NY tribs

Great choice for Smallmoth Lake Run Browns and Steelhead, Not as good for Salmon, an overkill for trout.

I use a 6 wt for trout, and no it is not overkill for trout, at least stockies, I have an LSI and konic, and it is light and more responsive than my friends 4 wt, and i would not choose another rod. standard fish may not peel drag but they will def pull a line and the nitros and magnums still put up a heck of a fight.

I'm thinking about getting a 6wt first because the next few months will be mostly trout with only a few pike mixed in and a smallmouth trip or two. These aren't big Canadian pike either, our yellow creek or c. river pike average 20-25" with very few close to 30

Why not a 5wt ? You've mentioned 4-6 and 8wts but jumped right passed the most versatile IMO.

StarvinM,
he asked about a 7 or 8 weight. not a six or a five

He did mention 6wt. Go read it again.

If I got an 8wt first I would definitely think about a 5.. but right now I think I'm leaning towards a 6 for a do all rod temporarily. I fishing nymphs on indicator rigs 90% of the time with a few streamers mixed in but if a hatch is on I have no problem fishing dri

Fuller, the 6 will do for most applications depending on the action. You can always underline it too with a five or overline it with a seven

There are at least 3 stand alone questions that got rolled and mashed into one.

Thirty years ago a 7wt was considered a heavy trout weight. It was recomended for large nymphs and streamers. It wouldnt be my first choice, but it would work.

Most 6 wt's will cast everything but the big wind resistant bass bugs.

Good luck, Tony

as someone who uses 30 year old 7wt rods, i'd like to point out they have similar action to a modern 5wt rod with regards to stiffness.

a modern 6wt is fine. a 30 year old one is better.

gfen wrote:
as someone who uses 30 year old 7wt rods, i'd like to point out they have similar action to a modern 5wt rod with regards to stiffness.

a modern 6wt is fine. a 30 year old one is better.

Cant lump all 30 yr old rods together. Just like today, there were many manufacturers with many different models/actions.

Good luck, Tony

I'm of the opinion a 6wt is still the best all around compromise,but it's like playing golf with just one club.

Here is why multiple rods and reels have benefits. I love the fight and would use a 3 wt with stockies with no problem. However when the stockies are Palaminos up around the 6lb + range .The possibilities of loosing them is greater. And although I am extremely comfortable using my 3wt. I would not take it up to Salmon River to fish the great silvers that run up there. I had some difficulties with using my 8wt and lost all five that I had hooked up with. Even though I fought 2 of them for better than 25 minutes. (lack of experience with my 8wt. and knowledge of Salmon were the main factor) With that said, you have to release that it is the wt/size of the nymph that will determine what wt rod you can use with it. I cannot lay down line with a size 8 or 10 nymph with my 3 wt rod. It is just to difficult for me.

Fuller
Here is my question to your question. Do you really want a 6 wt when you get the other rods? If the answer no you are wasting your money because you will never use it. Now if a 4,6, and 8 are your ultimate goal then start with the 6 it is a good starting point.

These three (4,6,8) will cover a lot of territory and different size flies.

You have to remember the size of the rod is only marginal for the size of the fresh water fish. A 14" smallie can be handled by all three rods.

The bigger size rods are made for casting bigger size and heavier flies. My 1/0 Clouser's can not be cast with a 4wt and even a 6 wt would give you some trouble. The 8wt is no trouble to handle these big flies.

Just some food for thought.

Rick

Lots of good info, thank you... I've decided to just go deeper into my fly fishing "hobby" and start.building an arsenal of rods... I like to try to catch anything on the fly just like I try to bowhunt everything I can... It seems necissary to have multiple setups for my applications

a nine foot, five weight graphite is the most popular trout rod and is very versatile.

I have one but I also have a nine foot, seven weight that I originally bought for steel head and it is also very versatile.

The biggest difference, comparing the same model, is the rod weight. A seven weight is going to be a little more work to fish but not that much. What you get is a rod that can handle larger/heavier flies as well as larger fish.

My seven weight is a discontinued Winston BIIX and it is as light as my older five weight. Since then, other rod makers have also come out with lighter rods. I have nymph fished with that rod for 8 or 9 hour days with no complaints.

I even used it once on a windy day for dry fly fishing and it worked fine. Out west, the lighter seven weights are supposed to be more popular because the folks out there contend with more wind and fish with more weight, in general.

Just my experience. It really depends on what you want to do with it and how you fish.

Shock

Back