Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: 7 or 8 wt too much overkill for nymphing

From Lititz, Pa
Fuller
Here is my question to your question. Do you really want a 6 wt when you get the other rods? If the answer no you are wasting your money because you will never use it. Now if a 4,6, and 8 are your ultimate goal then start with the 6 it is a good starting point.

These three (4,6,8) will cover a lot of territory and different size flies.

You have to remember the size of the rod is only marginal for the size of the fresh water fish. A 14" smallie can be handled by all three rods.

The bigger size rods are made for casting bigger size and heavier flies. My 1/0 Clouser's can not be cast with a 4wt and even a 6 wt would give you some trouble. The 8wt is no trouble to handle these big flies.

Just some food for thought.

Rick

Posted on: 2013/3/23 23:34

From Indiana Co., PA
Lots of good info, thank you... I've decided to just go deeper into my fly fishing "hobby" and start.building an arsenal of rods... I like to try to catch anything on the fly just like I try to bowhunt everything I can... It seems necissary to have multiple setups for my applications

Posted on: 2013/3/25 1:30

From near Hershey, Pa
a nine foot, five weight graphite is the most popular trout rod and is very versatile.

I have one but I also have a nine foot, seven weight that I originally bought for steel head and it is also very versatile.

The biggest difference, comparing the same model, is the rod weight. A seven weight is going to be a little more work to fish but not that much. What you get is a rod that can handle larger/heavier flies as well as larger fish.

My seven weight is a discontinued Winston BIIX and it is as light as my older five weight. Since then, other rod makers have also come out with lighter rods. I have nymph fished with that rod for 8 or 9 hour days with no complaints.

I even used it once on a windy day for dry fly fishing and it worked fine. Out west, the lighter seven weights are supposed to be more popular because the folks out there contend with more wind and fish with more weight, in general.

Just my experience. It really depends on what you want to do with it and how you fish.

Shock

Posted on: 2013/3/26 10:01

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
153 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
4 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com