7'6" 3 weight versus 8' 4 weight length rods

Big-Bass

Big-Bass

Any advantages/disadvantages for either to compliment a 590? I know some companies produce a 476 too...any advice on that too compared to the 376 and 480 rod lengths. Thanks!

If you have a 5 wt I see no need for a 4 wt.

I would go with the 376. That would make a good small stream rod.

it depends on the rods - i have a v fast action redington CPX 590 - for large rivers, big flies and ponds, basically long casts.

the medium action 470 bamboo does for anything smaller.

7' 6" is a good small stream length. I wouldn't take a 9' rod on a rodie choked brookie stream.

The 7 ft 6 inch 4 wt is a good choice. That covers you for all the small stream fishing.

With that and the 9 ft 5 wt you're prepared for just about any trout fishing in PA. (Not including steelhead, which you should use heavier gear for.)

That's all you NEED for PA trout fishing. What rods you WANT is a different question. :)

I agree whole-heartedly with a 7'6" 4wt as the ideal small stream rod, (not real real small streams though).

But I don't agree with the 9' 5wt for all others. A mediummedium action 9' WF6 is my go to for everything from windy lakes to the Upper Delaware and medium size streams like Penns and others.

I think you'd find yourself often looking for more casting ability with only a 5wt.

If I only had two rods, if would be a 7'6" DT4F and a 9' WF6F, with an extra spool of WF6Sink Tip.

It's hard to argue with the 9' 6 wt/7'6" 4 wt combo. IMO the 9' 5 wt/7' 6" 3 wt is a good choice also. Thankfully I don't have to choose from just two.

Big-Bass wrote:
wordswordswordswords

I can't help but notice every thread you make is either buying something, selling something; or asking opinions on buying something, or selling something.

Have you considered using something that you've bought and actually forming your opinions on what you may or may not need at this particular juncture in time? You will find that when you put down the catalog and actually try something that you've bought that you might not need to endlessly solicit the opinions of those who are not you, and who do not neccessarily share your opinion on things.

It will, in the end, greatly cut down on the amount of somethings you're buying, and then turning around and selling.

However, lest there be not nugget of topical information in this post, allow me to state that the "rule of thumb" was people bought equipment in two-weight intervals, thus 3/5/7 or 4/6/8.

However, if you actually used, instead of simply collected and sold, equipment then you would know how much you, personally, might see a difference in a 7'6" 3wt vs a 9' 5wt, and whether you need an 8' 4wt to split the obsessive difference or if you could, actually, simply do it all with one of the three, anyways.

I look forward to your next dozen threads comparing every high dollar 3wt rod on the market.

gfen,

With all due respect to your reply, I do ask a lot of questions about rods/reels without the actual purchase of equipment. I have purchased items in the past and currently only fish a few outfits...a Sage ZXL 5 weight that I bought on here and a Lamson Litespeed and a cheaper 4 weight that I like. I have acquired some other gear on here through trading/purchase because I would like to advance in the sport and have options, but I guess you just look at that as a waste of time. If you do not like my posts, simply avoid reading them rather than insult me for asking questions. I was unaware that asking questions led to useless statistics on how often or what I post about. But thanks for being so helpful to the original question with your awesome response. Perhaps there are others on here that could share more worthwhile info.

And also, you have been helpful with some of my questions on past threads so what's with busting my a** all of a sudden?

Big-Bass, re-read gfens post. It has a lot of very useful advice. Just look past the minimal hazing(?). I'm sure if he really wanted to insult you he would use insults, not petty jabs, and avoid giving you advice altogether. Just something to think about.

p.s. I'd go 7'6" 3wt

Big-Bass wrote:
gfen,

With all due respect to your reply, I do ask a lot of questions about rods/reels without the actual purchase of equipment. I have purchased items in the past and currently only fish a few outfits...a Sage ZXL 5 weight that I bought on here and a Lamson Litespeed and a cheaper 4 weight that I like. I have acquired some other gear on here through trading/purchase because I would like to advance in the sport and have options, but I guess you just look at that as a waste of time. If you do not like my posts, simply avoid reading them rather than insult me for asking questions. I was unaware that asking questions led to useless statistics on how often or what I post about. But thanks for being so helpful to the original question with your awesome response. Perhaps there are others on here that could share more worthwhile info.

Good response BB.

I consider Gary to be the diva of the site. You may have guessed that by looking at his avatar photo. But as gaeron posted, he's pretty knowledgeable FFer.

Interestingly, Gary is also a gear junkie, but mostly [d]junky[/d] retro, stylish type stuff or modern replicas thereof.

Feel free to ask or tell about gear or anything else FFing.

As you wrote above, if someone doesn't like it, they can click on to another thread or forum subject.

Fight nice boys!

I'll agree that BB does ask a ton of questions on all types of gear. If I'm not mistaken he's changing over from 'the dark side' (aka spinning for basses).

Some of what Gary said is good info. Reading reviews, asking opinions or staring at it on a display rack won't tell you if you'll actually like it. Pick out 2-3 rods that you think would be useful. Buy them, fish them and you will then see what you like in a rod and what you don't like. Sell the ones you don't like and get rods that then match your preferences / needs. If you can, cast before buying and that will help you eliminate more BS from the process.

Point of reference....me buying sage tcx. Read reviews and I wanted a cannon for long distance. Well, it was a cannon and I'll guess that 90% of the fishing public would have no business trying to cast it. The rod didn't feel like it was flexing until you had 60' of line out. If prefer a stiffer feeling rod but still want to feel the blank loading, not a good match . Plus, if you had to make a short cast, it was awful. "just overline it"......nope. I bought a 5wt because I wanted a 5wt.

Just my .02

The great thing about fly fishing is there is something for everyone. There are those who also enjoy the gear aspect. As gfen mentioned I would stick with the every odd or even rule of thumb. I am currently selling a very nice 5wt because it does not add much to the 4 and 6wt by the same rod maker that I have (Some would disagree and that is okay). Now that being said, I am saving up for a 3wt. The difference is the 3wt will be a 6'6" rod for close brush in small stream work. It is something my 4wt could do but at 8' I could seem myself getting frustrated plus the two rods are made by a different maker so I can enjoy the differences in that aspect.

I think what gfen is trying to say is that sometimes we get so wrapped up in the gear that we diminish the act of actually getting out and fishing. Heck some even say it is not even about the fishing but just getting out. The first fly rod I built is an ugly looking stick but when I am out on the water I totally forget about it.

My goal is to have 5 fly rods. A 3wt for close small streams, a 4wt, 6wt and 8wt and finally another fly rod for when I have guest and the rest of the time I can spend on fishing.

Back