Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

4wt Info

From Bucks Cty
My brother fishes NC wild streams. He told me he wants a 4wt for the tiny wild ones. I fly fish rivers for smallies, stripers and shad. I do an oldtimers annual trip to Pine creek area streams. But; I don't consider myself a trout fly guy.

Last we talked, he said he is rethinking a 6ft 4wt rod because on the strike they go flying over you shoulder. I'd like to build him a 4wt for these tiny wild trout. I thought this would be a good place to get some input.

Posted on: 12/22 16:14

Re: 4wt Info

From Dauphin PA
Give these guys a call. They sell blanks only or complete kits. Below is a link for 5'6" 4wt. They can find exactly what you are looking for. TFO Finesse has a 6'6" 2wt and St Croix has several models in that size. If he's catching tiny fish, a 2wt might be perfect or maybe a 3wt. He can overline one of those models with a 4wt when casting short in tight areas.

http://www.flyrodbuildingkits.com/onl ... ct_id=819&category_id=147

Posted on: 12/22 21:10

If he is catching your average native brook trout, I'd recommend a 3wt or a 2wt.

Posted on: 12/22 21:15
"I think I fish, in part, because it's an anti-social, bohemian business that, when gone about properly, puts you forever outside the mainstream culture without actually landing you in an institution." John Gierach

From South Central,PA
I'll second anglers habitat as a great place to purchase blanks and kits. On the phone they are very helpful. I've build the a forcast 6'6" 2wt which is awesome for natives in tight vegetation. I've also built a 7'6" 4wt. The 4wt is a nice all around trout rod. It's my #1 rod these days but if I'm just going after little brookies, I'd go 2 or 3wt. The presentation and feel is much more suited for a small mountain creek.

Posted on: 12/25 21:54

From New Castle, PA
I think a 4wt is a solid small stream rod. Dink fish are dink fish. A 2 or 3wt rod will not make them any bigger. It will, however, make it more difficult to cast a bushy dry or weighted streamer. A 4wt rod on the other hand is just right for making tight casts in close quarters and confined spaces.

Posted on: 12/26 0:28

From harlansburg
a 4wt fiberglass rod is my ideal small stream rod. It will give the ability to cast small streamers and larger bushy flies, but will also let the fish show off a little once hooked.

Posted on: 12/26 6:37

From SE Pa
The 3-4wt 7' Riffle fiberglass blank or rod sold by Phil Balachino's Kettle Creek Tackle Shop is terrific. Light, pleasant, and I can't believe what casts I can do in "tight quarters" with this rod.

http://kettlecreektackleshop.com/index.html

Posted on: 12/26 10:13

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com