Zoo Cougar tutorial

PACOFRANSICO

PACOFRANSICO

This is the fly that started my streamer phase. I have already caught bass and trout on it andI used on steel this past fall.

Materials
HOOK: #2-8 3XL streamer hook.
THREAD: gel spun
BODY: Pearlescent Diamond Braid or antron yarn
TAIL: marabou
UNDER WING: Calfs tail or Bucktail is used for to support flank feather
WING: 2 Mallard flank feathers
COLLAR & HEAD: Deer hair, spun and flared, trimmed flat on the bottom.

1. Start your thread 1/3 down the hook shank from the eye (thats just to set ur spacing on the collar and head) and tie in your marabou tail at the bend of the hook.
DSC09299.jpg

2. Tye in your sparkel braid or atron and dub forward to were ur started your thread.
DSC09301.jpg

DSC09303.jpg

3. Cut a piece of Calfs tail or Buck tail and tie it in at the point that your ended the dubbing. Cut a long enuff piece so it ends at or just short of the marabou tail.
DSC09304.jpg

4. Time to and your flank feather. You want to pick one that has a strait quill as far as side to side and is also even. And it ok if it is curved from front to back. Your gonna tie the flank over top the calftail its a support for the feather. You want the quill to ride right down the top of the shank of the hook. Then tie your 2nd right on top of the 1st. Then whip finish but dont cut your thread leave it hang.
DSC09305.jpg

DSC09308.jpg

5. Dab some super glue or zapa gap on your whip finish. Then you need to cut some deer hair enuff to fill the tub of a large stacker. Pull it from the stacker and cut it about 1 1/2 inches long. Place it on top of your whip finish and hold it in place as you tie it in. Make sure it stays on top of the hook and doesn't spin the super glue should help keep it there
DSC09309.jpg

6. Spin another stack of hair right infront of the collar. Wrap your way forward throut the hair to the eye making sure you don't trap any hairs and pack and whip finish.
DSC09310.jpg

7. Now the fun part, cut the bottom of the head flat if you tyed the fly right you should see were you ended the dubbing on the belly of the fly.
DSC09312.jpg

Then cut the top of the head so it looks like a cone cut in half. The easiest way to do this is to bend a razor blade between thumb and index finger in to shape of a 1/2 moon and run it back towards the collar not cutting the collar. I then head cement the thread and your done.
DSC09311.jpg

Jack Dennis ties a good zoo cougar also as almost such.

Great pictures!

I spoke to Festus privately about this, but I'd like to publicly pass on some helpful advice. When pictures are posted on the Internet without a copyright notice any person who can access such pictures can save them and use them without any legal repercussions. Unless notice is given that the author(photographer) claims copyright. This can be done by placing copyright notice in the image file(best practice) or even just stating in the thread that you reserved copyright in the photographs.

I see no need to do this for basic photographs that would have no commercial value. However, when posting a series of photos demonstrating a tying technique, I fear the risk that someone will borrow your images and re-publish your tutorial is greater. There is nothing that this website can do to protect your images from being used without your permission. If you have any concern do what is necessary to protect yourself.

Let me say, I think it is great that people are offering the tying expertise and photography skills to put together tutorials and I would love to see more of it. It is great content and could eventually be organized for the benefit of site visitors.

Jack if it wouldn't be to much trouble I think we should do a section on the forum or a stickied thread with fly tying tutorials and also a stickied thread with basic info for noobs/beginners looking to start fly fishing .
Just Saying ........

Oh yeah nice fly

This is my tutorial that I did for another site (under the same user name). I just wanna help people and get some minds goin. Theres begining F.F. out there that cant look at a fly and break it down to tye it themselves. It's hard starting out as a tier. You find alot of recipes on fly's but not to many "step by step" kinda stuff. Just figured I'd help out.

I encourage you to help out and if you made a choice that you don't need or want protection, then it is nothing to worry about.

Fred, I think what posters of tutorials should do is to title their thread like this "Tutorial: Cress Bug" Then a search for the word tutorial will bring all these together for the user. Eventually, we could make a sticky that provides links such as:

Zoo Cougar Tutorial

Wonder Wing Tutorial

Great looking ties! I'm enjoying the living heck out of these posts. Zoo Cougars are definitely on my list of things to do and I really appreciate the tutorials. Great stuff!:)

I like the "tutorials" idea too.

Started new thread in the site and forum comments section in order not to hyjack this thread .
http://www.paflyfish.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=11949&forum=10

Hey Paco
You mind if I add a trick to this thread?

Don't mind at all.....

I think a toot page would be awesome someday!

For now Festus has it in his signature which is another great way to keep em easy to find.

I tie mine with wool heads, which holds in water and makes them sink since scuplins don't have air bladders

I fish mine with a sinktip or full sink line with a short leader. I just have to have some other looped sink tips in other lenghts to adjust weight for different water depths and retreive speeds. Thats if i use a sink tip line. A full sink line no adjustments just 3ft. lead and fish. I rather have light fly and a heavy line in a sink or tip style verses a heavy fly and light floating line. For me it's easier to punch the big fly throught the air with that set up.

I'm one of those folks that struggles with spun deer hair. I tried this out, and it helped me immensely with trimming. There might be a better method, but this one works for me. Keep in mind that I just threw this together half-arsed for demonstration purposes. I bet you could do the same thing with hair clippers.

shave1.jpg

shave1a.jpg

shave1b-1.jpg

shave1c-1.jpg

using the razor is definetly the way to go - i buy the double sided replacement blades and break them in half. I remember the first time I used the razor - what a difference than scissors. Using scissors would take me for ever to get it the way I liked it. Good tip Festus!

Nice tutorial....I opened this thinking it was about a guy chasing middle aged women at the zoo.

Nice step by step. My all time favorite streamer.

Great tutorial and Pics
Thanks!

Thanks guys, believe it or not this was my 1st thread ans posts on this site.

Back