Zebra Midge 22

1wt

Groundhog day and it's snowing outside! I've been looking at
this pack of 22's and the smallest tungsten beads they make!
They have been sitting on my desk for a couple months! LOL

Last winter I was catchin' winter trout pretty good on tiny zebra midges....

No problem, I'll see if my camera works with closeup shots!
And no flash, just my vise light? First "tie" test:

The hardest part was getting the tiny beads on the size 22 hooks.

I used 6/0 black thread and tied in some gold micro wire.

Wire wrapped to bead and whip finished.

I tied in one strand of Peacock Hurl

Two wraps, whip finish again, and a drop of Sally Hansen Hard
as Nails only on the bottom part... none on the Peacock.

Ready for the winter trout?

Very nice. I usually tie zebra midges with silver not gold wire, I'll have to try it.

Brownie101 wrote:
I usually tie zebra midges with silver not gold wire,

Same here, but they only had tungsten gold beadheads at Bass Pro that day.... so I matched the gold bead with gold wire.

Usually I use silver with a silver bead. I'm going to try some "crystal flash" around the thread body?

I'm also going to try a size 22 beadhead Walt's Worm. And a Walt's Worm with a small tail. I've got a pack of 25 of those tiny hooks ....... and it's still snowing!

Yeah I think the crystal flash is a pretty good idea.

Plenty of variations to tie zebra midges in (red/silver, black/silver, black/gold, etc., etc.). They are easy to tie and amazingly effective. A good magnifier really helps tying these flies!

wgmiller wrote:
A good magnifier really helps tying these flies!

Yeah, I have the standard mag glass with the light around on a swing arm....... still, the 22's are hard to tie!

Getting the beads on the hook, I used tweezers with hackle pliers to hold the hook. Still I dropped half of them on the rug! ..... I still can't find a couple? LOL

But, in the cold water, the trout seem to like the tiny flies so much better than the normal size?

PS - Flashback: about 3 years ago, I spoke with you wgmiller at Muddy Creek FFO (downstream by the Hemlocks) and you said that you caught a couple on size 20 dries. When you left, I took off my regular size 12 woolybugger and tied on a midge dry 20 ...... and I was smackin' the trout pretty good right under the Hemlock trees! A very late "Thanks" to you! LOL

1wt wrote:
I've got a pack of 25 of those tiny hooks ....... and it's still snowing!

The Tiemco 2488 in size 22 is my favorite hook for tying trico spinners. Just a suggestion...

looks good for that style.
I use the 2mm beads on size 16-18 hooks.
For size 20-22 I use a 1.5mm bead and tie them more slender using the next size down wire.

Have a few with a few strands of short clear anton or micro crystal flash behind the bead for when they are hatching

nymphingmaniac wrote:
I use the 2mm beads on size 16-18 hooks.
For size 20-22 I use a 1.5mm bead and tie them more slender using the next size down wire.

I agree. It was all they had at Bass Pro a few months ago when I was there.

That wire does look kinda thick in my photos. I've corrected the problem with a single strand of crystal flash wrapped over the thread.

I'm going shopping online at Cabelas and Orvis to build up my fly tie stuff. When I go to a fly shop...... I always have to compromise on what I purchase.

I check out all the new ties and the new stuff, and then buy what I want on the internet! I guess I only visit fly shops for sentimental value? Free shipping, and discounts all the time. And I simply love to shop online.

Hint: twist the crystal flash like a dubbing rope before winding.

I'd don't understand why you compromise at a flyshop, but not online. Especially stores like Cabela's and Orvis. You still pay sales tax (they have stores in PA) and shipping. IDK if it is still true, but if you buy a bunch of stuff from FFP they ship for free (but check this). I did not find that tying materials (other than beads) are cheaper on-line versus FFP.

I'd suggest that since you are building materials, a visit to Fly fisher's paradise in SC. They will set you up with all the goodies you will need for CENTRAL PA.
they have a website that you can order from if you like on-line, but a in-store visit is the best. Especially during the week. When it comes to materials, it is best to look and feel. However, if travel up is out of the question, give them a call. You can ask them to put together a package of stuff for tying for you. You can still order on-line.

http://www.flyfishersparadiseonline.com/Default.asp
http://www.flyfishersparadise.com/

Heritage, the 2488 is a scud hook I think. What's your thinking using them for trico spinners? The short shank? I'm always looking for an edge.

Heritage, the 2488 is a scud hook I think. What's your thinking using them for trico spinners? The short shank? I'm always looking for an edge.

Sorry for the duplicate. The old iPads wearing out.

JohnPowers wrote:

I think of the 2488 as more of an emerger/pupa hook. Yes it has a short shank, hence using a size 22 for a fly that is a size 24 in length.

The big advantage to this hook is the large hook gap. It's also a fine wire hook, as opposed to the 2457.

Try it out - I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Back