Yellow Stonefly Nymph...Thoughts?

allan_s

allan_s

I have never tied stones before, thought I would give it a try. This is a size 8. I wasn't sure if I had the proportions correct on it though. Any thoughts/suggestions?

Attachments

• Pa fly fish side.jpg
    Pa fly fish side.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 13
  • Pa fly fish top.jpg
    Pa fly fish top.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 4
Look Great to me.

Only things I (personally) would change would be this:
the abdomen may be a tad short.

I would make the first wing case a bit thinner.( i taper mine to get larger as they go forward, PERSONAL PREFERENCE.)

i would add one more section of natural skin to have 3 wing cases total (PERSONAL PREFERENCE).

I think you may want to re- position the legs. To have at one set face forward. The legs are a tad un even not that it would matter to the trout. Always cut them longer than what you think. You can always take off material but can add it once its gon

These are just things that reflect on my style, and things that i have had success with.

Main point is that fly will catch fish, hands down. Looks to be a great anchor fly as well. I would definetly tie that on the end of my rod. It doesn't matter really what anyone on her says it will be the trout that decide in the end.

GREAT FIRST CRACK AT STONES!!!

Is this fly weighted as well?

I agree with everything Mike R said above. The only thing I will add is I like to make a nice tapered and flat body. Again thats what I like. Don't really know if the fish care, but if I like how it looks I will fish it with more confidence and will catch more fish. Looks like a nice fishy fly.

Nice job,

Gencon

If you are tying for yellow sallies tie on 12 -16 hooks.

Nice first crack at a stone. It will definitely catch fish. If you are going for a natural look, I would stick with 2 wing cases as that is what the real things have. Really doesn't matter too much. There are stone imitations that I tie that I don't use a wing case at all. It's a very generic pattern that I seem to be more productive with than my realistic patterns.

That size would be a good match for the golden stones, but I'd go smaller for the yellow stones.

If you want a flat profile, try using lead tape as a base. Easier to flatten IMO to the profile of most aquatic insects.

Try 1/3 thorax, 2/3 abdomen and either tie one more section of thorax or just darken the area just behind the head. I think your stone is looking good. Stoneflies tend to give tyers fits, as you're tying them set them down in front of you then the things you feel are out of proportion you have a good visual and can adjust things on the next fly. Don't forget to weight them stones are on the bottom, unless of course they slip and get caught in the drift. :-D

I like this one for yellow sallies:sz 14

Attachments

• 11-5-2010 021.jpg
    11-5-2010 021.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 4
your stonefly looks ok to me

a stonefly proportion is ROUGHLY 50% abdomen 50% thorax but it is strictly up to the tyers preference on proportions

655.jpg

hey Norm,
nice to see ya on here....

aka: sandfly, aka: sandflyx, Bob

another one;

Attachments

• DSCF4354.JPG
    DSCF4354.JPG
    42.8 KB · Views: 3
Thanks for the info/advice guys! This post should have been labeled Golden Stone Fly, that is why the size is 8. I wanted something big and meaty to throw on Penns/Fishing Creek when the conditions are right. (They are weighted on the first third of the hook and I have since flattened the lead to give the body a flatter shape)

I tied a few stones on 3x long hooks and I felt it gave it a better stonefly look, any thoughts? I know a lot of patterns in books I have recommend 2x for the most part. It probably doesn't matter but I just wanted some other opinions.

Also, on leg length. I tied in those rubber legs but I wasn't sure how long to make them. I tried for 1/2 the shank length but any suggestions on how long they should be as a 'standard' would be great.

Sandfly thanks for posting a few pictures of your stoneflies. I will definitely be tying a few imitations! What is the abdomen made from on the yellow salley?

Once again thanks for all the info!

thanks bob

i was looking to find other fly tying/fishing forums to post on as the others were about the same old thing by the same old [d]experts[/d] members and it was getting a little stale and i found this one. i will lurk for a while and then post occassionaly.

norm

nfrechet is correct, I explained how I break the body length down. I tie in the rear wing pad 1/3 back from the eye and it will lay to the proportion I'm trying to get, This is how I go about remembering where to put things when it's been awhile since I've tied them. It dawned on me today at work then I saw nfr's post. Thanks Norm.
Here's a couple I've done.
stoneflies_zps8383da7c.jpg

Update: I followed some of the advice given and had a very successfull day throwing stones I tied on Penns today, it was a great day!

Thanks everybody!

That's good to hear, congrats.

mike_richardson wrote:
Is this fly weighted as well?

Not as easy to see in the second photo, but the first photo clearly depicts a metal beadhead. Given that it is a size 8 fly I'd assume that regardless of the bead being brass or tungsten it would carry the fly to the bottom in most situations. Although, in a few situations it is apparent that it would not be adequate for dredging the bottom if it is merely a brass bead.

The backs and undersides should be different colors. The backs dark brown the undersides gold or yellow. But your's will catch fish.

Back