Wulff Winging: Dick Talleur Video

DGC

DGC

See:

Video Dick Talleur Tying Wulff Style

Note that pulling back just a bit on the figure 8 wraps sets and keeps the wing upright. I found the body and tail a bit old school but this is an old video, apparently.

There are a few other of his videos on this site and I found myself re-thinking a few things. I never really studied Talleur very much and now realize I missed out.

DGC wrote:
I found the body and tail a bit old school.

oh, do share

Loved the video. There's just something special about Catskills style flies. By far my favorite flies to tie.

gfen, I didn't give it much thought except that was a nicer way of saying that, aesthetically, I wouldn't have made those choices. Not as bad as a Usual though. Then not much is.

Back to Talleur. I watched this video a while back but last night went through quite af few of his other videos on that site. I shake my head I didn't pay attention to him when I was younger.

Good side forward on a dry fly is not something I thought much about until he discussed the rationale in the red quill video.

DGC wrote:
gfen, I didn't give it much thought except that was a nicer way of saying that, aesthetically, I wouldn't have made those choices. Not as bad as a Usual though. Then not much is.

This should be interesting.

DGC wrote:
gfen, I didn't give it much thought except that was a nicer way of saying that, aesthetically, I wouldn't have made those choices.

what, bucktail?

delta_dog wrote:
Loved the video. There's just something special about Catskills style flies. By far my favorite flies to tie.
It's not a Catskill Tie it's a Wulff tie. as in Lee Wulff. Catskill ties use hackle tips for wings.

Chaz wrote:
delta_dog wrote:
It's not a Catskill Tie it's a Wulff tie. as in Lee Wulff. Catskill ties use hackle tips for wings.
It must be the week to split Catskill hairs!
The Catskill tiers that used wood duck wings would be surprised to hear that they have been excluded from the "club".
Wulff flies are derivatives of early hair wing files tied by folks like Cross and Steenrod. Wullf tied and fished his flies on Catskill streams, and later all over the world. You can see original Wullf flies in the Catskill museum which is currently in the process of adding a Wulff gallery that honors Lee and Joan's contributions. Wulff style flys, along with hairwing patterns like the Quack and the Rat-faced MacDugall are very much a part of the Catskill style.

Back to the original post, Talleur used calf tail for the tail in this video. I think the use of bucktail is more standard. But there is nothing wrong with that fly. Talleur was a darn fine tyer!
Mike.

Like said Catskill STYLE flies.

DGC, Really enjoyed those videos. Talleur was an excellent tier. Where did you find those videos. Wish I could get a set of videos of him tying.

Nevermind did a google search and found them.

Not a Catskill expert by any means, but I always associated Theodore Gordon--Quill Gordon as the benchmark. The Wulffs whether by Wulff or Betters or whomever are in that vein just rougher water. If that's wrong I stand corrected not that it matters.

Excellent instruction. Tensioning figure 8 to get wing angle is a good tip. To me, Catskills refers mostly to wound hackle not wing material but that's just me. Also, dick and davie must have the same manicurist. Wish my horny fingers were that smooth but guitar playing and woodworking preclude that.

Great video

Back