would you buy this?

ryguyfi

ryguyfi

I'm looking for an all around grizzly neck. To tie my griffiths gnats sz 22 to sz 12 adams.

counting shipping... $18.50

it's often difficult to tell size / quality / stiffness when it's by mail order, esp. when dealing with size 20 and smaller. chances are that you can get at least a few dozen out of it. and I'm sure that you could make use of it even if the hackles aren't up your expectations.

Looks like the first neck I ever bought...still have it although its mostly skin now. It's all the money I had to invest at the time and that's the key. If you don't have it, don't spend it. I bet I tied thousands of fish catching flies with that neck over the years.

Looks like a good deal to me. If you don't feel like buying the whole thing, split it with a friend. I've done that before.

Here is Metz's criteria for a grade 3 cape:

May be down-graded for one or more of a number of reasons: hackle size range (will tie at least to 18-20) and/or feather quantity, length, color or may have a bit more web. Still very good dry fly quality. Also available in 1/2 capes

Grade 3 capes are excellent values. My only concern would be purchasing a cape sight unseen, as some grade 3 capes are better than others.

I stopped buying Metz hackles when I graduated from Penn State around 2001, I went to Whiting necks at that time. I never got enough of the small midge size hackles to be worth the money and I was buying #2 grade. I know I am differing from the other advice here, but I would be hesitant to buy a #3neck and expect to get much usable material for the flies on the smaller end. My advice would be to save your money and get a Silver grade half neck from Whiting. Just my two cents though.

I bought one once and had a very tough time picking out the right sizes to use with the fly and the smaller size feathers were TINY. Made it tough to tie with, at least for me. I still have it and rarely use it. If you want, I will gladly 1/2 it. I'd offer the whole thing, but I know if I give that away, I'll need it for something at some point. If you want 1/2 of it, PM me. Oh and btw it is grizzly.

I don't buy whole capes anymore, I typically go with the Whiting 100's, especially for smaller flies. They're easy to tie with and you will get at least 100 flies tied in a package. Sure, they're somewhat costly in comparision to a whole cape, but they are easy to work with and of good quality. Just my preference.

I won't buy anything but Whittings anymore...I hate Metz

you'd probably have trouble with those griffith's gnats, but the adams sould be fine.

It's Whiting 100's all teh way for me.

Just by eyeballing it in a pic, I'd get it simply because I don't think you likely to do better or even as well for the money elsewise.

Even as a Metz #3, there are some things that are axiomatic and always have been about branded genetic necks (particularly Metz) other than whiting/hoffman/whatever. Simply put, a #3 neck in some colors will have nearly equal feather quality, even into the smaller sizes, as a #2 in other colors. While this is most true usually) of browns and to some extent gingers, it is also true to a lesser extent of grizzly. I would never buy a natural (undyed) dun or black or even perhaps a cream in a grade #3. They're usually junk. You have more leeway and can expect somewhat better overall feather quality in a brown and to a certain extent, in a grizzly. So, at 18 bucks or whatever, I think it's a worthwhile buy.

I bought several Metz half necks when i first started out, i had a lot of problems tying with them due to the stems twisting bad.

i lucked into a few whiting saddles that will tie into the 20's that i got cheap at Someset show a few years ago ($20ish per half saddle) and far outshine the Metz feathers.

if you only tie size 12 and 22 then you dont need an all around neck, you need two packs of whiting 100s

What I usually try to do is go and look at it for sure.This is something you will have for a long time, and the most expensive aspect of tying IMO.The upcoming show is a great place to buy one.Years ago I would go to the show just for that purpose.And what I like to do is get a grade 2 that just fell short of being a grade 1.Or a grade three that just fell short of being a 2.It's like going to hackle school,good luck and happy hunting.

Tight Lines

Back