Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

wooly worm caterpillars

From Glendora nj
Anyone use with success or tie these? I was fishing a stream yesterday and saw a few in the water and saw a nice fish take one. Interested in picking some up if anyone ties them. Thanks in advance..

Posted on: 2013/10/19 21:29

Re: wooly worm caterpillars

From Lansdale
Woolly bugger with no tail ?

Posted on: 2013/10/20 7:15

From Abington
Quote:

KeithS wrote:
Woolly bugger with no tail ?

Wooly worm is just that with some stiffer hackle and usually a piece of red yarn as a tag. I've seen them done with peacock and hackle and sometimes black or tan yarn and hackle. Never fished one though....

Posted on: 2013/10/20 7:53

From Lancaster
Probably the most traditional pattern for a wooly worm is red yarn tag (short), black chenille body and palmered grizzly hackle. Many years ago I tied lots of them in black,brown and yellow with grizzly or brown hackle. I fished them a lot when I was just learning to fly fish and they produced well. Since the advent of the wooly bugger and the many variations of it I got away from tying wooly worms and fishing them. If you are looking to immitate the "wooly bear" caterpillar I think a black, brown or blond body with heavily palmered brown hackle and no tail would be the best fit.

Posted on: 2013/10/20 8:49

From Glendora nj
Yes I was thinking to immitate the wooly bear. I have seen a lot of them on the stream I have been fishing recently.

Posted on: 2013/10/20 9:57

From pennsylvania
Quote:

dc410 wrote:
...Since the advent of the wooly bugger and the many variations of it I got away from tying wooly worms and fishing them...

Since 1967?

Posted on: 2013/10/20 11:09

From Lancaster
Yeah, I knew somebody would bust me on that one. I was really referring the time in my flyfishing career when I became familiar with the wooly bugger and started tying and using them. Referring to it as the advent of the wooly bugger was a bad choice of words on my part.

Posted on: 2013/10/20 12:59

From Gettysburg
Quote:

gutcutter wrote:
Quote:

dc410 wrote:
...Since the advent of the wooly bugger and the many variations of it I got away from tying wooly worms and fishing them...

Since 1967?

Yep - dc410 is a really old fart. But he knows lots about fly fishing. And looks good for his age!
I first met him in college many moons ago and the first thing he said to me was "Young feller, I was fishin Wooly Buggers when you were still a runt!'

Posted on: 2013/10/20 21:10

From Lancaster
C'mon FI. We aren't that far apart. I can remember us cranking out some big old wooly buggers in the mid 80's at PSU. But when I think back to the late 70's I don't remember even knowing what a wooly bugger was. It was all wooly worms back then. I think it may be time to get the old wooly worm out again and give it a work out ..... bet it still works!

Posted on: 2013/10/20 23:20

From Tioga co. formerly of bucks co.
tie a small orange with brown soft hackle and sink it works for oct. caddis pattern. I remember using buggers in the early 70's along with wooly worms too. guess I'm prehistoric.

Posted on: 2013/10/22 7:01

So many Fish, So little time !!!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing ghillie..
https://www.facebook.com/BigMeadowsFlyShop

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com