Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Wings

From Petersburg, Pa
Ok so next time I will go in absolute detail of what I found and what i didnt find.

Posted on: 2009/5/21 16:04

From Attitudinally, one mile south of Lake LeBoeuf
I use turkey flats for olive and sulfur parachutes. Lighter dun for the latter and darker dun for the former. I'd also use them for Hendricksons and Quill Gordons if there were any reason to tie flies to imitate either of these species, which I am not convinvced there is....:)

Why turkey flats? Well, that's a good question. They make nice parachute wings, but I think the real reason is that I bought a bloody carload of the things back 25 years ago when cut and thorax duns were the big deal.

So, I still have a lot left.

Any of this stuff that is 25 years or so old in rationale or reasoning, I'm your guy...

What's antron and cdc anyway...:)? Sounds like a futuristic rock and roll act....

Posted on: 2009/5/21 16:30

From Pittsburgh
Quote:

RLeeP wrote:
I use turkey flats for olive and sulfur parachutes. Lighter dun for the latter and darker dun for the former.

I'll second the turkey flats.

I recently "re-discovered" them. When I first started tying, a few years back, turkey flats seemed pretty popular for wings. But I got out of the habit of using them, as everyone was using more "modern" materials.

However, I just recently tied a bunch of flies with turkey flat wings - and I found myself thinking "These make great wings"

I guess these things come and go - like fashions.

Posted on: 2009/5/21 16:46

From Tioga co. formerly of bucks co.
google works so good, i found all kinds of info on wings so why the huff

Posted on: 2009/5/21 18:19

So many Fish, So little time !!!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing ghillie..
https://www.facebook.com/BigMeadowsFlyShop

From WNY
I mostly use thin hackle tip wings from the neck, all saved up from hackling dries.
For parachutes, I use white calf body hair. The reason is because, with my eyes I can spot it better than anything else I've drifted on the water in fading light. But, synthetic yarns are easier to use in tying a parachute.

Posted on: 2009/5/21 18:29

From Petersburg, Pa
I googled wings for fly tying and couldnt seem to find the information I needed. Either that or I was to naive to find it.

Posted on: 2009/5/21 20:58

From Greensburg, PA

Posted on: 2009/5/22 1:07

From Johnstown, PA
I'm surprised no one mentioned natural barred wood duck flank featheres, the dyed mallard works but ..............get to know someone who hunts woodies and the expense is not an issue , upright , divided wood duck wings are one of the most beautiful things in fly tying , and chetty , don't stop asking questions , most of us love answering them GOOD FISHING

Posted on: 2009/5/22 20:53

From Greensburg, PA
Quote:

osprey wrote:
I'm surprised no one mentioned natural barred wood duck flank featheres, the dyed mallard works but ...

..but...I have an abundance of the dyed mallard. Wood duck was a lot easier to come by in Idaho. But here, mallard is the way to go.

Posted on: 2009/5/22 21:01

I never found any dyed mallard I ever thought was worth a hoot.

But I still have pile of wood duck from a Bro-in-Law who hunted ducks up until a few years ago.
But I can't hardly remember the last time I used duck flank to make a wing. Might have been a Henryville when I was fishing them 20 years ago. Or something called an Atherton #5 that I used to like long ago.

Nymph tails are another story though. I use a lot of woodie flnak for tails. But the stull I really like (and I'm starting to run short on now) was given to me by a guy who used to work for me many years ago when I had a conventional career. It was hooded merganser. IMO, it beats wood duck 5 ways to breakfast.

http://www.speypages.com/speyclave/showthread.php?p=238564

Posted on: 2009/5/22 22:25

From Greensburg, PA
Henryville is a completely different technique though. Those use the whole flat wing. For wings I roll them, then split them.

Posted on: 2009/5/23 23:08

I agree, Tom. I was just musing about the last time I used duck flank for a wing on anything. Out here, at least in SW Wisc and NE Iowa, there's just about zip call for flies like that. It's all olives, sulfurs, then more olives, 4,309 kinds of caddis and then some more olives. I think I saw a light cahill in 2003 and maybe a stonefly last year. But I might have imagined both...

Posted on: 2009/5/23 23:23

From Greensburg, PA
we have cahills, march browns, hendricksons, gordons...I've even used yellowish dyed mallard flank for drakes.

Posted on: 2009/5/23 23:40

From Petersburg, Pa
OK but I am still left retarded here. I am confused. I know what the hackle and all that are but is the 2 little wings on dry fly they are off a tip of something but not sure what. Looked all over and the ifo I am provided with is not really telling me alot. Like I said I must be pretty stupid cause I am still very new to the fly-tying world. Ok I watched a video on tying the wings on but what I am confused is that some of the flies I have purchased look like the wing tip comes to a point is that just by coincidence or the way it was tied or the material used?

Posted on: 2009/5/26 19:01

From Greensburg, PA
Hackle tips are just that..the tips of the hackle you use to make a bugger or dry fly. You tie in at the butt for dries and at the tip for buggers but clip the tips off first and match them up and use them for wings. Like for an Adams....

http://www.theanglersnet.com/Fly-Tyin ... deo.asp?section=6&VID=133

Posted on: 2009/5/26 23:43

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com