White and Olive Articulated Diver

M

midnightangler

There was a recent post here on UV epoxy, and I thought I would make a tangent post on a fly pattern that I've been experimenting with the last year and a half. This season I caught most of my largest trout on this pattern (or variants of it). Then again, I tie it on a lot, so I may not be giving the fish a fair chance to eat anything else.

The key to this pattern is the lip, which is described in the linked video:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-YWVDgcEFQ9M/Tv-Vz_zKc1I/AAAAAAAACN4/-mu_UXzfEhY/s1600/DSC_0270.JPG

Coating a mono loop with UV epoxy to make a lip is a neat idea; I wish that I could claim it as my own. This fly (and any other lipped fly) has crazy action in the water. Its great fun to fish, and the white and olive combo has been extremely effective for me. I also tie this pattern in black/orange, black/chartreuse and a few other combinations that don't see as much use. A friend of mine picked up the fish pictured below on a black/orange version this fall.

The back hook is nothing more than a white/olive double bunny tied on a Daiichi 2220. I'm lazy, so I don't use glue, I just lock the rabbit strips on with thread. Other than the mono loop lip, the front hook is a two-toned version of Galloup's Boogie man without the eyes. The front hook must have a straight eye. I use a Tiemco 777sp. Downward eye hooks simply won't work with this style of lip.

I've put lips on quite a few other standards and articulated patterns: black sculpins, double bunnies, sex dungeons, etc. They all catch fish, look great in the water and are quite durable. For some this may be getting uncomfortably close to fishing a jointed rapala, but I expect that fans of articulated streamers may enjoy experimenting with this particular application of UV epoxy. It definitely works for big browns.

For the record, working with the UV epoxy can be a bit irritating, especially at first. It takes some practice to make a decent lip. Whatever you do, don't turn the lamp on any goo that gets on your hands. It gets extremely hot.

DSC_0270.JPG

DSC_0107.JPG

cool...that looks interesting. the link is just a pic, can you post the video again?

thanks
jeff

Sorry about that:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgD4hgW2TGM

The loop creation starts at 2:45 or so.

Back